cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analysis for OLAP and BW restricted characteristics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Recently, when we were using Analysis for OLAP with BEx query OLAP connection then it was ignoring our input variables. It used the default values and displayed the result. However, we were able to fix it after a BW consultant (who was there luckily) suggested to move all restricted characteristics from default values to global area (Restricted Characteristics). Consultant also advised to remove restricted characteristics from default value after the move.

Now, what I really didn't understand that why did we do that? Is there an explanation for this that I can read? Shouldn't this slow down the query?

Your suggestions will be highly regarded.

Regards

Angad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Angad,

you don't have to remove the items from the default values but there is a difference between the defaults area and characteristic restrictions.

Items in the defaults area are only used on the initial view.

characteristics restrictions are used as real filters.

so you shouldn't have to move those, but make sure you understand the difference

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for your reply.

That makes sense to me.

Regards

Angad

ajay_shirke
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

When I have restricted the characteristics in the BW query by excluding some values, in the Characteristic Restrictions or in the Default Values pane, I am unable to use this characteristic as a member filter insidre the Analysis for Olap report. When I right click on  the member and try to bring up the list of values, the hourglass spins for ever.

When I remove the restrictions in the Bex Query, the member selector works fine.

The users want to restrict some values, and also be able to select inside the report. Is there a way to achieve this?

As you know this works ok in the Bex Analyzer and also in RSRT transaction in BW, ie I am able to restrict in the Bex Query, and also able to filter inside the output results. But does not work the same in Analysis for Olap as described above.

Your help is appreciated

thanks

Ajay