cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tableau vs. Lumira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anybody know if a feature comparison sheet between lumira and tableau exists?

Something similar to this but with Lumira included:

http://www.atheonanalytics.com/product-comparison

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I haven't seen such a comparison but I use both tools every day on top of SAP HANA. I think they are different tools for different use cases that will suit different types of people.

Tableau is a mature, feature rich visualization tool that can connect to many different sources. Because it is very feature rich, it does (in my opinion) require an analyst style person to create the data models and create visualizations. These can be built into models in Tableau Server for dashboards on screens. If you want complex models then Tableau is excellent.

Lumira is a less feature rich visualization tool that is primarily focussed on SAP/BO data sources. it is very easy to use and it is well suited to a business user. It takes only a few minutes to get up to speed with Lumira. However, if you want to do advanced BI or visualizations then you may struggle to get the output you need in Lumira. If you want simplicity then I prefer Lumira.

This is as of the current versions of Tableau (8.00.13) and Lumira (1.0 SP13).

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

I totally agree with John,

As John said, Tableau not only feature rich but vey fast compared to Lumira.

It connects to more Data Sources than Lumira

Direct connector available for SAP BW and HANA.

Only downside no SAP BI 4.0 Connector available..may be in future?

If you come are from SAP Shop, stick to Lumira...

regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajeev/John,

When you say "no SAP BI 4.0 Connector available", do you mean it cannot connect to Universe at this time?    In your opinion is it popular with HANA customers?

Thanks,

-J

Former Member
0 Kudos

I didn't say this and there is a 3rd party driver to wire Tableau into BI4 http://toreodata.com/

Tableau folks believe that you can get rid of the BI4 semantic layer if you are using Tableau. This is certainly true in some cases and in other cases, the complexity of the BI4 semantic layer means it may not be practical.

I wouldn't say that Tableau is so much popular with HANA users (though it runs great on HANA, my current project is using it) but rather that because it puts a lot of semantic control in the hands of the user, it is very popular with business analysts and operations people who want that control and flexibility.

There are pros and cons to this, for example that it provides maybe too much flexibility, which means that everyone builds different reports with different numbers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raj - I'm performing an assessment...wonder if you could elaborate...Curious about the comment "Tableau connects to more than Lumira".

Lumira uses SAP IDT Universes, and I'm under the impression from using IDT, and SAP documentation; that IDT universes are system agnostic...

I interpret that as limitless connectivity options.  Have you guys had different experiences?

Thanks,
mb

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Not sure if you're still looking at this, but we receive this question a lot from our customers - I tried to summarise the differences in this LinkedIn post, hope its useful ...

SAP Lumira: Ready to Rumble? | Paul Morgan | LinkedIn

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

hope the below link will help you....

https://mdmrc.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/visualization/comment-page-1/

Regards

Ravi