Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I participate in SCN?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Members are at different levels*, I request members from all levels to answer the below questions. I believe that we can learn from the
inputs of members & it would be helpful specially for beginners in SAP.

*Levels:

1. Why I participate in SCN?

2. What areas (e.g. blogs, documents, discussions etc.) do I participate?

3. What type of discussions (questions) do I participate in?

4. When I contribute:

a. what do I do before (e.g. research, testing etc.)?

b. what do I do after (e.g. keep track of the discussion etc.)

5. What do I want in return from my participation?

6. Any other comments.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

anshu_lilhori
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW,

First of all i thank you for bringing up these questions and discussion.

I remember those good old days when for every single issue i used to post in SDN. Also used to refresh the page often in the hope of answers and indeed i used to get the replies pretty quickly.So after a while it was time to Pay it Forward.

Another reason you learn a lot when you try to help others.You may not face all the issues in your project so when we tend to solve others issue we learn something new.So by each passing day we enhance our knowledge and skill set  and this is another way to keep yourself updated with all the hot skills.

These days i participate almost in everything..It may be writing blogs or commenting on blogs.documents and of course my favorite replying to discussions relevant to my area or may be something which is more generic.

Mostly related to my area SAP BEx,BW,sometime in About SCN, Career Center like i am doing right now..Also in questions which involves little coding as i am trying my hand out on it.

4. When I contribute:

Yes if question is related to coding and if time permits,I will definitely test the code in my system before replying.Sometimes i get so late in responding back that by the time i reply threads get answered.

I also try to keep the forum clean by clicking abuse report when the question is very generic or easily available if you just google in.

This is really interesting to answer--Thread owner might forget after raising the thread but i ll keep a track on it and also sometimes explicitly ask them to update on the same.I also try to push them to close the thread by marking helpful and correct answers like a good citizen.As that thread may become reference for others when they stumble upon same issue.

There is a saying that "Never expect anything from anyone as expectations always hurts" but that's not the case with SCN every time.We just want the thanks to the correct answers in SCN way and hopefully everyone knows it.

Comments--Ratings--Likes on Blogs and document really elates me. and so to the others i feel.

These all are token of appreciation which we expect from other.I hope i am not asking for too much.

6. Any other comments.

Keep Blogging..Keep Rocking..Keep Learning..Keep following.The least you can do is.to appreciate the efforts put by each on of us in solving  issues.It really motivates and encourage all of us to post more.

PS: I liked each one of your replies on these questions.The least i can do to show my like is by hitting the like button.

Tw we would also like to know your replies on the same.

Regards,

AL

28 REPLIES 28

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW,

Thanks for posting useful thread for beginners.

It helps us to  learn subject, increase our confidence levels.  On the same revert back scn  by helping others. Thats way to keep shaping our skills here.

For fresher's start looking docs/blogs. Mean while if they observer discussions also it boost them to participate.

There is no such limit, whatever he is familiar with content he can answer

4. When I contribute:

a. What do I do before (e.g. research, testing etc.)?

First search , if already discussed therads are avilable then ask them to search on forum rather than making duplicate threads for the same inforamtion.

Above ans will suits here

if required information not available on Google, if i know the information, then will start to give reply to owner/thread.

6. Any other comments.

For fresher's, requesting them to start log into scn, very frequently, watch discussion/blogs/docs. On the same you can revert back to SCN whatever you got from SCN.

Learning and teaching always sharpens your skills.

Thanks

Raman

0 Kudos

Ramanjaneyulu,

Thank you for your post!

My main intention is to get your comments to these questions (not what freshers should or should not do).

You are at emerald level, understanding why and what you do (and did) would motivate, inspire, teach, guide beginners (and all alike).

Thus please give your take on these questions and any other points that drive you.

Pardon me for not being clear!

0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry from my end too. I gave on fresher view.

Here are mine.

Asusual along with others, i am also started using SCN to post my queries at BPC forum and get help form experts. While observing their continuation support to sort out my issue.That's motivated and inspired to me to do the same. on next day itself start log into SCN and continued. now addicted.SCN is SAP knowledge bank where we can learn more and more without going any where.

SAP BW/DW/BPC/About SCN/Career center

Most of the time i participate at SAP Netweaver BW/extractors/DW/Bex

4. When I contribute:

I will reply to thread where am confident.

to avoid duplicate info, first i do search on scn. if its available then will ask user to do search and help himself or i report to abuse.

if its not available on Google/scn then i will help to sort out issue. Even if required test cases, yes i do on my machine and reply to users as correct or possible ways.

Keep on track the thread, if any one post good suggestions and best approaches, i appreciate them and bookmark that thread. Once owner got the solution, will ask him to close the thread in scn way.

Always prefers feedback and suggestions where need to improves from my end.

Thanks

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi TW,

This is very interesting discussion you have started.

My views are:

I always find this place (SCN) as a knowledge spreading space where people from every corner of world do participate in almost every module of SAP, which is really interesting and motivational for me. My almost every query gets answered here by experts. I need not to go anywhere.

almost all..

I mainly involve with SAP mobility related discussions but at the same time i am active at other discussions also  whether at SAP teched, Career Center, coffee corner space etc.

4. When I contribute:

I response to any query when i am confident about it. Whenever i find/discover any mobility related solutions/tricks i do write blogs, docs accordingly.

Before posting any docs/blogs i first search if similar posts has already been posted at SCN if not then i will post it. same case with putting any discussion.

After posting a discussion, i keep track of it. After getting help from experts, i mark replies as answered and helpful as per their responses.

I always want to hear comments/suggestions from others if i post any blog/doc and will take appropriate decisions on that.

Rgrds,

Jitendra

Regards, Jitendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for starting a very useful thread.

Here is the reasons why i am on the SCN..

Firstly i came to SCN just for posting my question and get the answer of those question but later on i realized that i can also help people to get answer of their question, so i started participating in the thread and i got two benefit, My knowledge level is getting increased day by day and getting satisfaction also that i am contributing to resolve someone's problem.

I do try to participate everywhere,wherever i can, means i have some knowledge of that .

As Its looks like same question as 2nd. But in this, to be more specific, Mostly i look in the thread related SAP ABAP Developemt, Web dynpro and something related to Career Center, coffee corner space etc.

4. When I contribute:

I tried to give best solution i can provide for the related things.

Before posting any solution, If i already tried that thing in my developments or i have some correct knowledge, then i will provide it simply otherwise i will take the help of Google/SCN and if i got something good,will try to implement, if its possible and then i will share the links.

Yes, After posting my ans i keep track of it. and looked all the answer , there is a chance to get some smart answer for the same.

some feedback/comment  related to that for better improvement, if i missed something or there is a chance of improvement .

Best Regards,

Chandra

0 Kudos

Wow Chandra,

Meticulously written! It was really a good read.

Regards,

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is a search engine of SAP

All areas , still many need to

For everything that we can justify. I mean from coffee corner to HCM level

4. When I contribute:

It will be surely helpful (Self motivation )

Self Clarification

What more expectation from their end until finish

Satisfaction from all perspectives

6. Any other comments.

Good T W spent some time for others opinions. We need your answers here now .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tw,

For some one who start SCN First time, if he check this thread it will be  helpful for him knowing intersting

Facts about SCN.

a) I participate in SCN to share my knowledge,  and to get some knowledge.

a) i will particpate maximum all blogs/docs/discussion when ever i think i have knowlegde on that  Discussion.

a). Relevant to My SKills .

4. When I contribute:

* )  When i contibute , first check either i can provide answer for that r not , and do some testing on my side,i will think twice before answering a question either it will helpful for disussion r not .

*) After that i will follow the disussion , if my answer is helpful r not , if it is not helpful i will check with other participated members provided suggestions i will go througholy and  i will update.

*) in return , i want to know either My answer is Helpful r not

Regards,
Giri

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi

T W

We would like to hear from you as well.

Rgrds,

Jitendra

Regards, Jitendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's really an awesome discussion for newbies as well as experts. Both should have a clear cut visoin of Why they participate in SCN.

So off to your question:

1) Why I participate in SCN?

There goes a famous saying "You can't live in Rome and  fight with pope". You can't keep youself away with SCN if you are associated with it in any manner. Whether you are an experienced SAP professional or want-to-be professional, you should hook up with SCN as it is a vast source of knowledge for Newbies and experienced professionals as well. Do you know which is the purest form of water? Yeah you got it ! Its Rain .. You can concider SCN as rain with loads of purest form of knowledge and expertise coming from different regions of world. And we peers can be concidered as potholes, ponds, lakes, rivers, oceans and other water reservoir. When it rains, each of them are benefited regardless of their sizes. So get yourself drenched and filled with raindrops of SCN .

2) What areas (e.g. blogs, documents, discussions etc.) do I participate?

You should participate where ever you feel you can make some difference, learn something or help some one. In my case, its my 10th day in SCN, and believe me its awesome feeling. I did not know about this community at first. I found it through Google Uncle out of my extreme desire to learn ABAP. And today I have made a lot of friends. People here are really helpful. There is lot to learn.

3) What type of discussions (questions) do I participate in?

It clearly depends on the niche of your interest and need. For the time being I participate in discussions where I can find how and where I can learn ABAP. And some stuffs which are off beat too, like coffee corner kind. I do look forward to help if I can help people with their technical problems. But let me learn first .

a) what do I do before (e.g. research, testing etc.)?

Let me put it this way, what do you do if you are hungry?.  Bingo!! , You are correct. You search for stuffs so that you can cook your favourite food and eat upto neck !

Off beats apart. Answering your question,

Before starting any thread I try to find the relevant thread in SCN and  Google. And if I am unable to find the answer then I start a fresh thread. I would recommend my friends too to do some research before starting a thread. May be what we are looking for is already discussed here. We should have hawk eye if we are searching for our prey(of course our question is our prey ) .

What do we do after cooking our favourite food. We had put our burger in oven to heat. We keep track of the "beep" which alarms us that burger is ready to be eaten.

Same way, After asking a question we should keep track of the activities and conversations like

I am not exaggerating, I have not seen any other community like this where you get your questions anwered in same time your oven heats up burger for you!

Not golds....No diamonds.....Few likes... Few comments...Few suggestions. Thats it. This makes everybody at cloud nine. I am no exception.

I always welcome your critics and comments.

Warm Regards,

Ankit Jha

0 Kudos

Good one Ankit. Very well presented answer for each Question.

Rain water is purest form of Water, same as SCN is Purest form of SAP knowledge..

Best Regards

ChanS.

0 Kudos

Thank you Chandra !

I am gald that you liked. See you around

0 Kudos

I really liked your answers Ankit

Very well explained..the quotes u used are so apt and explains all your answers to the point

Regards,

Priyanka

0 Kudos

Hi Priyanka,

I am pleased that you liked the answers !.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your valuable insights

Regards,

Ankit

0 Kudos

I really liked the analogies you used to explain your views..Really amazing..

Regards,

AL

0 Kudos

Thank you Anshu. I am overwhelmed that you liked it.

Regards,

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TW,

Really nice discussion started by you

So here are my answers

First and foremost reason to participate on SCN is to inccrease quantity and quality of my SAP Knowledge box I like reading the different technical and non technical stuff shared by so many intelligent people all around the globe. As I am fresher there are many things which go above my head but still it gives a lot fo satisfaction even If I am able to answre a single question in a day. And it gives me knowledge about so many things which I have not even heard of.

I try to participate in whichever way I can may it be blogs, discussions or solving somebodys query .

I actuall;y search for every possible way to participate on this community

Out of all the areas I have most knowledge ob BW so I try to participate on BW topics. Try to answre the question which I can. Want to try my hands on to ABAP queries as well but I guess it will take timke

4. When I contribute:

Befor contributing I myself  do a bit of search here and there just to make sure that I am answering correctly. Sometimes I try to practically implement the scenario mentioned in query and achieve the desired solution and then reply. Its better to make sure that your reply is correct rather than giving some one a wrong solution.

After replying I keep on checking what others have replied to get the knowledge of altervnative solution and to find that whatever I have replied was correct or not and whether it has helped the concerned person or not.

Ummm..now this is a tuf one to answer

Nothing much i desire in return. If my answer solves someones doubt then that is enough for me

It automatically brings a big smile on my face and gives me satisfaction

6. Any other comments.

It feels awesome to be part of such community where you find all sort of people. People good in various fields and who keep on taking out time from their busy schedule to answres others query and are making best use of their knowledge.

Regards,

Priyanka

0 Kudos

Awesome Priyanka. I enjoyed reading your answers.

Regards,

Ankit

anshu_lilhori
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW,

First of all i thank you for bringing up these questions and discussion.

I remember those good old days when for every single issue i used to post in SDN. Also used to refresh the page often in the hope of answers and indeed i used to get the replies pretty quickly.So after a while it was time to Pay it Forward.

Another reason you learn a lot when you try to help others.You may not face all the issues in your project so when we tend to solve others issue we learn something new.So by each passing day we enhance our knowledge and skill set  and this is another way to keep yourself updated with all the hot skills.

These days i participate almost in everything..It may be writing blogs or commenting on blogs.documents and of course my favorite replying to discussions relevant to my area or may be something which is more generic.

Mostly related to my area SAP BEx,BW,sometime in About SCN, Career Center like i am doing right now..Also in questions which involves little coding as i am trying my hand out on it.

4. When I contribute:

Yes if question is related to coding and if time permits,I will definitely test the code in my system before replying.Sometimes i get so late in responding back that by the time i reply threads get answered.

I also try to keep the forum clean by clicking abuse report when the question is very generic or easily available if you just google in.

This is really interesting to answer--Thread owner might forget after raising the thread but i ll keep a track on it and also sometimes explicitly ask them to update on the same.I also try to push them to close the thread by marking helpful and correct answers like a good citizen.As that thread may become reference for others when they stumble upon same issue.

There is a saying that "Never expect anything from anyone as expectations always hurts" but that's not the case with SCN every time.We just want the thanks to the correct answers in SCN way and hopefully everyone knows it.

Comments--Ratings--Likes on Blogs and document really elates me. and so to the others i feel.

These all are token of appreciation which we expect from other.I hope i am not asking for too much.

6. Any other comments.

Keep Blogging..Keep Rocking..Keep Learning..Keep following.The least you can do is.to appreciate the efforts put by each on of us in solving  issues.It really motivates and encourage all of us to post more.

PS: I liked each one of your replies on these questions.The least i can do to show my like is by hitting the like button.

Tw we would also like to know your replies on the same.

Regards,

AL

0 Kudos

Hi Anshu,

Very well written . Thank you for sharing your views.

Regards,

Ankit

0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

Glad that you liked it..Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

AL

0 Kudos

Hi Anshu,

Really i liked your answers.thanks for sharing your view's

Srinu.

0 Kudos

Thanks Srinu for your kind words..Much appreciated.

Regards,

AL

former_member184701
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good questions, mate.

because it is not a Facebook , Twitter, ....

mostly logistics but Career as well

answering questions

4. When I contribute:

when i am not in pressure and able to dive into web

take a cup of black tea

another tea, may be green one

another happy user

6. Any other comments.

life is good

shashi_thakur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey T W,

Here's my take on the questions. Thanks for asking

Because I get to know about people with similar interests. And it is an excellent example of what can be achieved through collaboration/team work.

SD, LE mostly

Answering Functional and Technical questions

4. When I contribute: Trying to make it a habit of doing it everyday. So far so good.

a. what do I do before (e.g. research, testing etc.)?- Test the scenarios on IDES if needed

b. what do I do after (e.g. keep track of the discussion etc.)- Track the Discussion and also go through other Team members comments

5. What do I want in return from my participation?- When someone says "Thankyou, my problem is resolved"-it makes my day

6. Any other comments.- Lets continue doing this

Regards,

Shashi

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Members,

Thank you so much for your responses!

Currently I am writing a document. The objective of this document is to explain the ways to gain the knowledge by participating in SCN.

This document shall be written for beginners and SAP professionals with 0 to 5 years of experiences. However it could be beneficial to all.

Some details about my document, I would be discussing -

"Ways to gain knowledge" -

- What questions to answer?

- What to do before answering a question?

- What to do after answering a question?

- What should be the objective / aim when participating in a thread?

etc. etc.

Your comments, answers are valuable in the making of this document.

0 Kudos

Looks Cool. So its like, this thread is kind of R&D for your new post...

Great Idea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TW,

SCN is Younique

Any areas you can discuss in and out! Most of the ppl likes technical discussion. Because it helps for their current projects

You can participate in any topic whichever you like.

4. When I contribute:

Anytime

Relax first. Then research. Then test. You will gain!

Keep note of everything or bookmark it. It useful for future reference.

Do your best! Everything will come automatically to you

6. Any other comments.

only comment is, This discussion is something different and quite interesting.

Keep motivating others! It motivates yourself!

Regards,

Hari Suseelan