Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BI - SELF LEARNING

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP Experts and dear friends,

Greeting you all,

I joined SDN Forum long time back  (..laziest person to be inactive on the forum) But its always better to start now than never .

I have got 3 yrs of experience working for SAP Enterprise Portal.(SAP EP based on Java).

I have got good database concept and went through basic SAP BI, I am excited to start learning BI and gradually move to SAP BI domain thereby SAP Hana.

A long way to go..Need your valuable guidance to start a new journey in my IT career.

Kindly answer my  following questions/doubts.

1. Is there any free online tutorial site which is good and I can rely on it for learning step by step.

2. Books and online resources

3. How to update my resume after learning SAP BI to get into BI Domain as I have SAP EP experience of 3 yrs.

Is SAP Certification will help?

4. How to plan my path to be followed to excel in  SAP BI (Kindly answer in detail as I am a beginner to start with BI ).

Thanks in Advance,

Ravi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

My response to your questions in Blue Coloured Font

1. Is there any free online tutorial site which is good and I can rely on it for learning step by step.

- There are many documents, articles, and blogs posted by many people on various topics. You just have to use the proper keyword and keep searching for the materials that you find useful and easy to comprehend in the beginning.

Follow this link - http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8389

2. Books and online resources.

- Like I mentioned above you can search in SCN under the section

Also, you can find many useful videos/articles/docs in http://sapinsider.wispubs.com/Channels/BI

3. How to update my resume after learning SAP BI to get into BI Domain as I have SAP EP experience of 3 yrs.

- Try to get a movement within your current company by presenting your BI skills and understanding of the subject in great depth.

- Try to create/generate reports that are based on realtime business requirements.

- Look for issues that are posted by people in SCN related to BI and try to simulate it in your test/sandbox and then respond to queries and see to what extent it worked.

- You should focus on more of calculations/formulas which are required to present data as per the requirements, one of the challenges in BI reporting is to put the correct formulas for correct information representation.

4. How to plan my path to be followed to excel in  SAP BI (Kindly answer in detail as I am a beginner to start with BI ).

- It is very important to have a clear understanding of the subject and you should have good command in implementing thoughts with data to come up with useful and meaningful reports.

- Try and learn the various reporting requirements that are frequently requested from business and try to build such reports with utmost clarity.

- Data is imported from multiple sources so a good understanding of different sources and formats will always help you in importing data correctly.

- Your grip on concepts and use of the tool will help you a lot in interviews and you should show the different scenarios that you used to practise in your resume.

- Make contacts with good recruiters, friends who can refer you in their companies, and keep searching for job openings where freshers in BI are also accepted.

Good Luck.

Nagarajan

14 REPLIES 14

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

My response to your questions in Blue Coloured Font

- There are many documents, articles, and blogs posted by many people on various topics. You just have to use the proper keyword and keep searching for the materials that you find useful and easy to comprehend in the beginning.

Follow this link - http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8389

2. Books and online resources.

- Like I mentioned above you can search in SCN under the section

Also, you can find many useful videos/articles/docs in http://sapinsider.wispubs.com/Channels/BI

- Try to get a movement within your current company by presenting your BI skills and understanding of the subject in great depth.

- Try to create/generate reports that are based on realtime business requirements.

- Look for issues that are posted by people in SCN related to BI and try to simulate it in your test/sandbox and then respond to queries and see to what extent it worked.

- You should focus on more of calculations/formulas which are required to present data as per the requirements, one of the challenges in BI reporting is to put the correct formulas for correct information representation.

- It is very important to have a clear understanding of the subject and you should have good command in implementing thoughts with data to come up with useful and meaningful reports.

- Try and learn the various reporting requirements that are frequently requested from business and try to build such reports with utmost clarity.

- Data is imported from multiple sources so a good understanding of different sources and formats will always help you in importing data correctly.

- Your grip on concepts and use of the tool will help you a lot in interviews and you should show the different scenarios that you used to practise in your resume.

- Make contacts with good recruiters, friends who can refer you in their companies, and keep searching for job openings where freshers in BI are also accepted.

Good Luck.

Nagarajan

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

Thanks you so much Nagarajan & Naveen for your valuable insight.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

You are welcome Ravi. Keep up the learning and make use of SCN as much as you can.

Good Luck.

Nagarajan Viswanathan

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

If you follow/check the BW related forums, you iwll get most of information step by step guide lines.

If possible try to buy a book BW step by step written Mr Fu Fu. once you read this book, you can be very familiar with bw concepts. after that you can watch whole SCN blogs/contents/wiki.

same above reply.

Certification always its helps you lot. if possible try check with your PM to learn BI with your existing team. if he  allowed to elarn then daily 1 to 2 hrs you can learn from your bw team.

For any Module, first line is have to understand about basic of that module.  Train yourself and do practise on your ides version of machine. try to do some test cases or mock proejcts.

Thru that way you can understand BW concepts very well.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ravi ,

Check below thread once.

What is BI and Prerequisites of BI and all documents related to BI.

http://scn.sap.com/community/data-warehousing/netweaver-bw/blog/2012/10/11/learning-sap-bw-everythin...

Coming to your questions :

I  think all answers are provided here if you have any doubt just reply me

Regards,
Giri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks alot.. Raman and Giri for valuable advice.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ravi,

<<removed by moderator - external sites advertising of training>>

. But according to me eventhough you are good with your experience and having knowledge on SAP it is necessary to have a professional tutor to help you coming as an expert. Because you can learn online for free and gain knowledge on it but only your certification speaks in the industry so ask some of the experts in the industry for certification details this portal has some list of trainers for consultation http://techjobs.sulekha.com/sap-bi-training also i read in an article saying that a certified BI professional can earn $71050 - $84000. All the best for your IT career

Message was edited by: Colleen Lee

thanga_prakash
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

There are many videos available in you tube and documents in SCN community.

Start with the basic setup of BI system and it's architecture.

Once you are comfortable in BI then you can go for ABAP basic, as ABAP will help you in coding part in BI.

Regards,

Thanga

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos