cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Bin Type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear WM,

I would like to make use of "storage Bin Type" to group my warehouse bin to differentiate its stock from which region in the country it is serving to.
My stock placement strategy and stock removal strategy is using the Fix Storage (i.e. wherever the material place in, it will be pick up from that bin, and also put back into the same bin during placement), hence it is very simple.

In the meantime, I recognize that there is some implication to activate this feature and those concern should not be ignore as it will punish the business system operation later on when executing the placement and removal.

Can you please let me know:

1. In order to use this feature, does the Storage Type need to be setup as Storage Unit Type (i.e. activate this storage unit type)?
  2. Do I need to config the "Activate storage bin type Search" in the SPRO given that in this path, there are two assignment table, namely, one to assign the Storage Unit Type to Storage type, and another is to assign Storage Unit type to Storage Bin type.
  3. If I activate this storage bin type, does it create extra job for business during system execution like during transfer order creation?
  4. Does it means when I use this storage bin type to group my bin and later activate the storage bin type search, System will not allow the storage type to use the "Fix storage" strategy for both putaway and removal? which mean I need to use pallet strategy (FYI, overkill for our operation)?

Hope you can provide a clue if you have this area of experience.

Thanks,

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

can you explain this in more detail:

to group my warehouse bin to differentiate its stock from which region in the country it is serving to.

do I understand correct that you want use storage bin type A when the goods will be delivered to customers in the north, and storage bin type B when the same good is delivered to the South?

From where do you have this information at the time of putaway?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Correct, that is what what I meant (i.e. storage bins under storage bin type A serving to northern region customer, storage bins under storage bin type B serving southern region customer).

However, that question aside, my main puzzle are those 4 question which I raised ... that is if I would like to use Storage Bin Type functionality, do i need to perform those listed 4 questions I had.

Regards,

Daniel

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi,

your 4 questions aside: "I would like to make use of "storage Bin Type" to group my warehouse bin to differentiate its stock from which region in the country it is serving to." - wrong choice of field. The storage bin type is something to differenciate different sizes of pallets or other units you have in the warehouse. The determination is triggered via the palletization data of the material. So if you want to use this field, you would have to program this completely new. Then it is easier to use a specal programmed putaway strategy and other information you have.

"In order to use this feature, does the Storage Type need to be setup as Storage Unit Type (i.e. activate this storage unit type)?"

I suppose you mean the setting for storage unit management, and then, no, this is not necessary.

"Do I need to config the "Activate storage bin type Search" in the SPRO given that in this path, there are two assignment table, namely, one to assign the Storage Unit Type to Storage type, and another is to assign Storage Unit type to Storage Bin type."

Yes, this is how the storage bin type search works.

"If I activate this storage bin type, does it create extra job for business during system execution like during transfer order creation?"

Don't really know what you mean. The bin type is part of the bin search, no extra job.

"Does it means when I use this storage bin type to group my bin and later activate the storage bin type search, System will not allow the storage type to use the "Fix storage" strategy for both putaway and removal? which mean I need to use pallet strategy (FYI, overkill for our operation)?"

The system allows fixed bins still,  but this kind of contradicts your bin type search.

Reading through this questions again it seems that you simply want to have to field bin type, but not really a determination using it....

Brgds

Juergen