Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Gamification during an app’s loading time”

0 Kudos

Hello, I am a university student writing his thesis from the
following topic at SAP.

“Gamification during an app’s loading time”

During loading time the users do nothing, they are bored.

The aim is to show a gamification content in a dialog, which
leads to perceive the loading time shorter.

I shall create a prototype, in an android SAP application using
GPS, free web services (weather, etc.).

Any hints are greatly appreciated:

• What goals should we seek to accomplish with this
    prototype/research?
  • Ideas what to do/show in 4-6 seconds
  • Do’s and Don’ts suggestions
  • Links to similar projects

Thanks !!!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

I know this thread is old, but just found it and thought it is interesting:

In November even that patent will expire which would hinder such :

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidHoppe/20150109/233806/2015_The_Year_We_Get_Loading_Screen_MiniGames_...

caroleighdeneen
Community Administrator
Community Administrator
0 Kudos

Hi Otto, I cam across your post. It is a bit old. But did you ever create your app? If you did, I'd like to hear more about what you came up with.

0 Kudos

Hi Caroleigh,

Yes, as it was my thesis I did 2 applications: one displayed news regarding SAP company and the other offered a short game which was based on reaction time, plus I had the original waiting time with the 'loading icon'.

I have tested these 3 cases with users. Set 10 seconds in all cases without telling it to test users and they had to bet how much time the loading time took. 

I had done this test with 10 people (measured different things also, like what gamer type the user belongs to etc., unfortunately my thesis was written in hungarian language).

The result was that in average the users felt gemification 3,85 seconds shorter than non-gamificated loading time.

They felt 4,15 seconds shorter than original 10 seconds when they red SAP news.

They felt 5,45 seconds shorter than original 10 seconds when they were playing an interactive game.

I have charts and so much documents about the test cases but all of them are in hungarian language.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Otto

caroleighdeneen
Community Administrator
Community Administrator
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update. What an interesting finding. Did you survey their satisfaction in the gamified conditions too? In addition to perception that the wait was smaller, I wonder if they were also in better moods:)

0 Kudos

No I did not measure that. What I did is based on questions before testing the application, that I sorted the participants into different gamer types using the Bartle Test:

Bartle Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so it was possible to measure which player type enjoyed more the different test cases.