cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule JOB to run on only SAP 2 Instances out of 6 instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Is it possible to schedule a 40 Work Processes job to run on 2 SAP instances (DIA) only, while the SAP system has 6 SAP instances (CI + 5DIA).

We are using Control M  + CPS Redwood.

I suppose some RZ12/Logon groups or SM61 would be involved?  Or any concrete trick in CPS/ Control M?

Thanks in advance!

Marian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marian,

Let me clarify whether i understood your requirement clearly.

You want to schedule the jobs with 2 SAP Dialog instances specifically instead of doing load balancing.

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Raja,

Yes, that is exactly what I need.  I would like to load balance the job with 40 WPs, but only for it to run on 2 instances (DIA) as BATCH during daytime -> the rest of instances will be used for online users (3x DIA;  CI for ADMIN only) during the daytime.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marian,

Is it already scheduled or planning to schedule via CPS?

We can import the appropriate application servers alone so that while scheduling the job you can select those application servers as target server for executing instead of load balancing.

Hope it clears.

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

This we only plan to implement (new Instances) / schedule (jobs after instances are in place)...

So we can really create a separate kind of "Project" in CPS for the new instances only, so all jobs scheduled for this "project" will run only on the 2 newly configured instances?

How can we ensure, that the SAP will not do the Load balancing also on existing Instances?

Any setting similar as per below should be setup?

http://scn.sap.com/community/cps-by-redwood/blog/2013/04/18/application-server-load-balancing-option

-> but this is for SAP to do LB, we need the opposit to this?

-> for current jobs we need the LB to be done on current instances only, not on new ones.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Marian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marian,

When you submitting the ABAP program job then you can select the target server option with the appropriate Dialog instance instead of doing load balancing.

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

Yes, I see that it is possible to setup a parameter like this on the Job scheduling settings part...

But that would schedule the "mother" report on the instance - but if it has to run on 40 WPs, how can we make sure that child jobs will not be triggered on other instances? 

Can we turn off SAP load balancing somehow?

On the picture, last field -> Target server group name:  is this the "RFC server group" (parallel generators) setting -> RZ12 is SAP?   Or rather Logon Group?

Cheers,

Marian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marian,

Hope that is SAP Logon Group.

Can anyone confirm on that? Even am not able to get the group in my CPS system however the logon group is maintained in SAP system.

Regards,

Raja. G

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My assumption:

I think it is neither logon group nor RFC group.There is something called background processing server groups. Please check SM61-->Job-Servergruppen 

There you can maintain the background jobs server groups.

So once you create your BP server group, you can use the MSHOST connection string which will take care of the load balancing.

MSHOST=<MS host> R3NAME=<SID> GROUP=<group>

Thanks

Nanda.

gmblom
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nanda,

It is a common misunderstanding that the connect string on the SAP System connection is responsible for the load balancing of jobs. This only load balances the connections from CPS to the remote SAP System.

Load balancing of jobs in SAP can be done in 3 ways:

1) Let SAP do it. In this case uncheck the 'Load balancing' flag on the SAP system on the CPS side and leave the fields TARGET_SERVER and TARGET_GROUP empty on your jobs. Now SAP will pick the application server the job has to run on on the fly.

2) Do it manually. Use parameter TARGET_SERVER to force jobs to run on specific application servers. You can create your own function to determine the one you want of course. Or use parameter TARGET_GROUP, here you specify the batch group the job can run on and now SAP will pick one of the servers from the group to run the job on.

3) Let CPS do it. Now leave the 'Load balancing' flag on the SAP system in CPS checked and leave the fields TARGET_SERVER and TARGET_GROUP empty. Now when the job starts and just before the job is created in the remote SAP system CPS does the load balancing calculation based on the Load Factors for the different application server defined on the SAP system object (go to your SAP system->Maintain Objects and check out the Application Servers section). Then it will fill in the best server based on the calculation (default is the server with most free batch processes) in the TARGET_SERVER field and the job will be executed there.

Hope this helps.

Regards Gerben

Former Member
0 Kudos

And note here when SAP does it you're best to setup both a logon group (SMLG) and a batch processing group (SM61)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gerben, Jamie, all,

this is very helpful, thanks a ton...

We will try to implement the solution 2 - SM61+SMLG and TARGET_GROUP.

Once done and tested, I will reply here to share the results with you/ask for further advice  .

Thanks a wish you a nice day...

Marian

0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Based on my understanding, load balancing for batch jobs is configured by SM61 only!

Could you please explain, how SMLG influences the load balancing of batch jobs here?

Thanks a lot

Andreas

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SMLG just load balances the login of the RFC user from SAP CPS/BPA into the target ABAP system.

thanks

Nanda

0 Kudos

Thanks Nanda,

Did I get it right that SMLG is used to decide where the RFC User gets logged on and SM61 is used to decide where the CPS-Batch Job will run?

Best regards

Andreas

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is correct.

Answers (0)