Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important - Blogs and Documents Elimination in Coffee Corner

former_member181915
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Recently it was brought to our attention by a few members and moderators (well, actually by many, and we had noticed it as well) that the Coffee Corner is being overloaded with blogs and documents that have very little value for the Community at large. While it's true that the Coffee Corner is a place where you can freely express your opinions, share personal information, etc., it's being overrun with content that results in points and badges to the authors. That is not the intent of the Coffee Corner nor the SCN reputation program.

Therefore, after mindful consideration and conversation with several of our moderators and global moderators, we have decided to turn off blogs and documents in the Coffee Corner. The intention is to share thoughts for discussion in the Coffee Corner without amassing loads of points that impact overall community leaderboards. Afterall, would it be fair to have topic leaders who only contributed in the Coffee Corner?

What this Means for You

We will turn off blogs and documents on Sunday, November 17th.  At that time, all blogs and documents that are posted in the Coffee Corner will be hidden from public view.

If you have posted blogs or documents in the Coffee Corner, and you want them to continue to appear in the future, you should move them to your Personal Space as soon as possible. Any blogs or documents that remain in the Coffee Corner after November 17th will be hidden for the forseeable future.

Additionally, there will be no points accrual in the Coffee Corner for blogs and documents over the next two weeks. To avoid a mad rush to create blogs and documents for points during this time, we have turned on moderation for those content types, and we will delete newly created blogs and documents that are posted in that space.

The overarching strategy behind these decisions is to help keep quality as high as possible for all of our members while maintaining an enjoyable/fun environment.

Thank you for all that you do to support the Community! Let's see if this new option proves to be "game changing".

Best regards,

Jeanne Carboni

Senior Director of SAP Community Network Collaboration

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Finally! <sigh of relief>

I would definitely vote for removing points from discussions as well - if coffee corner is an "anything goes" area and the points system is supposed to honor valuable contributions points have no business at all in coffee corner.

And frankly, "the platform doesn't support this" continues to be a weak excuse. I understand we could not come up with all possible requirements before deciding for the platform, but I hope as a customer we have enough leverage to push for platform enhancements like this - I'm pretty sure other customers will benefit from that as well.

Frank.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How about a script that runs nightly simply remove all "likes" in the Coffee Corner?

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you teach how to do it? He likes to learn about geeky stuff 🙂

I am very serious here.

Laure

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please no. I like seeing what positive feedback my posts got, here in CC, too, because I had some nice discussions here.

Deleting the likes per script to clean up the points seems a bit like a quick-and-dirty-solution that is - to me - unnecessary when in the foreseeable future the points can be disabled here (and hopefully the through the Coffee Corner collected points will be removed, too).

I don't care about my points in the CC, but I very much care about the ratings and likes. So please don't take them away.

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

OK, I hear you. We will see if we can remove all the Coffee Corner points from the past few months, and note remove the likes/ratings themselves.

Thanks for the feedback,

Laure

Answers (12)

Answers (12)

vinod_vemuru2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jeanne,

Welcome decision (Finally)

It used to be tough to find good blogs/documents as people used to post 4 line poems as blogs.

Thanks,

V V

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hip Hip Hurray!!

This is the maddest merriest day of all new year. (or it was on 17th Nov)

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hear...Hear....finally it has happened. Coffee Corner has been made blog/document free.......

Thanks Jeanne,

Benedict

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes. Step one is done. Now step two (no more points for CC stuff) for christmas and all will be well. ^^

former_member181915
Contributor
0 Kudos

Blogs and Documents are now turned off in the Coffee Corner. An announcement is posted in the space.

Sincerely,

Jeanne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day sir . Can you please do me a favor. I need my these two Blogs to be moved to my Personal Space as they are very close to my heart and don't wanna loose them at all.

http://scn.sap.com/community/coffee-corner/blog/2013/09/16/there-are-times-when-you-feel-alone#comme...

http://scn.sap.com/community/coffee-corner/blog/2013/10/31/give-time-to-your-investments

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Ammarah,  Both have been moved.  Thanks,  Jason
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much sir. Stay blessed.

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I think I read somewhere above that information on moving blogs from Coffee Corner to one's personal space would be published. Does that still hold true? If not, I might have to trouble you with another migration request (I hope that's still possible even though we've crossed November 17).

Regards,

Akshat

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Your first blog post, right? I've moved it to your personal blog.

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Cool! I didn't know you had mind reading capabilities! Thanks!

former_member190778
Participant
0 Kudos

HI,

Yes, I do agree with your findings but there are many other ways to control this all and you better knows this than me off course you are my most seniors, In my best knowledge this is the place where we can share informal, Creative and Interesting information. If you will not allow any single document or blog here than it might become just a "Corner" rather then be called as "Coffee Corner". I want to quote here an example: As i have posted my first document being a beginner here but Somehow it is rejected two times. I couldn't find any reason mentioned that why it has been rejected! i have given my ample time to it but . I have read all the rules & regulations but i really dont understand that why this place is not for the beginners?

Document Link: http://scn.sap.com/community/coffee-corner/blog/2013/11/06/when-student-becomes-a-professional.

Best Regards,

Suhaib Bin Aziz

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Your blog post has been rejected because no new ones are being accepted:

Additionally, there will be no points accrual in the Coffee Corner for blogs and documents over the next two weeks. To avoid a mad rush to create blogs and documents for points during this time, we have turned on moderation for those content types, and we will delete newly created blogs and documents that are posted in that space.

There is also a warning about this when you create new content in the Coffee Corner.

former_member190778
Participant
0 Kudos

I appreciate your Feedback Sir, i wouldn't know this before because i have posted my document and after some days i have seen this message about restrictions regarding blogs and docs. but i might consider that from now onward blogs will be not posted. Anyways Thank you

BR,

Suhaib

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's why it is so important to first check the space you're posting in. The information that documents and blogs are disabled here came days before you tried to create your document.

Regards,

Steffi.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Judging by the title only, you might want to give it a try in

Thomas

former_member190778
Participant
0 Kudos

No actually i was so busy in compiling my document so i couldn't go through coffee corner. Steffi do u know how we can create Personal space over here?? i tried but i couldn't find any helpful information.

Regards,

Suhaib

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Suhaib,

check this http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-48610

Rgrds,

Jitendra

former_member190778
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot sir Thomas i'll definitely give a try there.

Best Regards,

Suhaib

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Suhaib,

if you go in your profile on the Activity-tab, you should see on the right side under the Actions-box a link to create your personal blog.

Regards,

Steffi.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Oh my: I missed that other way of doing it! I've added it to   and here's the direct link: http://scn.sap.com/blogs-create-blog!input.jspa

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ah, no worries.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I think when we report abuse some post or content and if moderator accepts that report then there should be three actions.

Some points for reporter

Negative points of poster

Content should be hidden

This is just an idea and with this everyone will think before posting anything.

Thank$

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can we have a something like deduction of points or badges for every abuse reported? Or 'guest'ify the user if a threshold of abuse reports are reached for their content?

Regards,

Benedict

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd say upheld abuse reports. Perhaps 20 points per, once more than 10 have been uphelp.

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

I wish we could track abuse reports. We don't have that ability at the moment and need to push Jive harder with this.

It's on our To Do list.

Laure

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahh. Finally after a lot of discussions and poll we blogs and documents in CC came to an end. Thanks for this decision.

What about the points cheating happening in other spaces through liking/rating their own low quality blogs with high using fake users that led to the selection of wrong leaderboard member ?

- Midhun VP

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you report abuse to inform moderators? One abuse category is point cheating

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes I did. After that the moderators removed that content. But what about the cheating using fake users ?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all they need to be identified. Here we need the help of anybody to report such behavior through abuse reports. Many got already identified and fake users were disabled, others are in queue and will get this surprise sooner or later.

We  are not in Wild West and SCN is not a place for lynch law. More investigation will be done after an abuse report to get fundamental proof. Activities will be monitored, then reported in a document, people get a warning, report is double checked by a global moderator, and finally action is taken. (points removed or user disabled, or even both)

This process can sometimes take a bit longer as the identified cheater may only be a small part in a bigger network which is in its growth, and we try to get them all.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But like the wild west, we do always get our man.

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok Jurgen, thanks for your response. Hope SCN will maintain it's quality.

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

May I further suggest that anyone who has gained more than 75% of their total lifetime points in Coffee Corner be identified, vilified and/or guestified?

That should bring the current wave of points inflation under control...

I'm looking at you <name deleted> !

Paul

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

We'll be looking into it, yes. We'll try.

Laure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Frankly I couldn't care less about the topic per se since I have never contributed or followed Coffee Corner but having followed the discussions through updates of people I follow and respect, this is definitely the right way to go.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you for the information, Jeanne.

Just a question: in the poll concerning this, it was said that turning off the possibility to create blogs and documents would not just mean that the already created content of that type is hidden, but deleted. Now you said, it will be just hidden (and I guess later after the feature of disabling the gamification in the CC it will re-appear).

Is that correct or is the content lost then?

former_member181915
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

We will not delete the blogs and documents. They will not be "lost", but they will remain hidden. Since we have not intention of turning them back on, they could remain hidden for all time.

That is why we are asking people who have blogs that they want to be visible to move them to their Personal Space.

Jeanne

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oooookay. Good to know. Thank you, I will go now and move my one blog into my space. ^^

Regards,

Steffi.

EDIT: Erm... how exactly can I do that? There is no move-option in the Actions-box. I guess, I need the help of a moderator for this. Anyone volunteering? ^^

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Jeanne!!

Particularly the consideration that this might just defer the problem to other spaces is nice. It recognises that the system is the problem.

Perhaps we can create a space called "Points" and have only that points and games relevant, then we will see where people contribute to anyway.

"likes" and "rating" which is an attribute of the content without any user based points silliness attached to it would sort the whole problem out on it's own.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Blogs from the old world of SDN were defaulted to personal space, so I only ever moved a few back to a new space. Not sure whether anyone ever tested the migration in the opposite direction...

Is there such a thing as "destination 'NONE'" visible? 😉

I suspect that only global mods can move them, but perhaps Jeanne and team can show the copy&paste poets & co how to evolve back into their own personal dating club type of world.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member181915
Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh no...problem encountered. When and I tested this, we forgot we had special moderatorsuper powers. So you are right Steffi, you cannot move your blogs. I tried to do this for you, but I cannot move it to your personal space, even with my moderator super powers. Since I am getting ready to leave for SAP TechEd Amsterdam, I've asked to look into this for us. Not only does he have moderator super powers, but he also has a super human brain that can figure out these type of problems. (No pressure, Jason - )

Stay tuned... the points saga in the CC continues.

(I already know what you are going to say, Julius.)

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Already figured it out and managed to move Coffee Corner post to http://scn.sap.com/people/steffi.warnecke/blog/2013/05/10/raiders-of-the-lost-badges

The most important thing is that the member has a personal blog setup. This can be found under the member's content tab, e.g. http://scn.sap.com/people/jason.lax/content > Search Engine Optimization (Blog names can be customized)

I'll follow-up offline.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you? 😉

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you, Jason! And thank you, Jeanne (again). ^^ So my stuff is safe now. *g* I'm reading for disabling.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Am I missing something? I don't see the move option anywhere. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Steve.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You won't be able to move it. More news will be forthcoming after we clear up some details.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jeanne!

Will the silly points be turned off for discussions eventually as well?

What is the status on a poll or POC to turn the same off in the other spaces? The security space is interested in this approach.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member181915
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

We don't technically have the ability to turn off points in spaces. We have asked the vendor for that, but there is not a commitment to do so. We continue to pursue this with them.

This doesn't mean that we would turn off the points in other areas, but we will do it for the Coffee Corner if/when we get the functionality.

Jeanne

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

What is the status on a poll or POC to turn the same off in the other spaces? The security space is interested in this approach.

Uhmm... is it...?

Former Member
0 Kudos

During one of the fiasco's about 2 years ago (if I remember correctly, SAP AGS suddenly were volunteering for moderator rights because points were made a KPI for the poor souls and then all sorts of points gaming started as a natural consequence...) the security forum was presented as a pilot for a no-points area to see what the affect on quality and contributions would be. I checked with the active contributors and moderators and no one objected. In the "top contributors" forum we then took a vote (weighted by points, to get rid of them...) and the result was something like 150000 : 0. I can't remember the exact amount, but the "in favour of keeping points" was definitely 0...

Cheers,

Julius