cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

process of material master creation in implementation?

maheshkumar_komatineni
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

i am s sap   fresher, i have some doubts about Material Master Creation. as i am not able to understand the exact scenario how material master created.

as Material Master is very important in business transactions, and it is the responsibility of all functional people to get involved. then My questions are.

1.who will initiate the creation of Material Master, is there any sequence  of views to fallow ?

2. how the lsmw will used that mean is lsmw  data enough to create all Materials or manual intervention also needed?

3.at which stage of the implementation material Mater created because in asap methodology data migration will happen before go live?

can any body please answer the above questions. and help me to understand the sap process.

Thanks in advance,

Mahesh.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183379
Contributor

• 1.who will initiate the creation of Material Master, is there any sequence  of views to fallow ?

Master creations will be handled by master maintenance team or MM team according to the team structure. Sequence is simple; a responsible person collects all the data from each department as per the view and creates/uploads after consolidation.

• 2. how the lsmw will used that mean is lsmw  data enough to create all Materials or manual intervention also needed?

LSMW is enough to create materials. Now a days BAPI is more convenient rather old method like LSMW. The only Cons is - BAPI needed help of ABAper to create a program according to the material type/fields.

• 3.at which stage of the implementation material Mater created because in asap methodology data migration will happen before go live?

Initially we create few materials to test customizations. At the time of cut-over stage we go for mass upload of all legacy materials.

Regards,

Bhg

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor

Hi,

During implementation,No Material Master is/are created in sequence based on view of master master.Material Master is/are created for all views once for all by any uploading tool. Initiation for  creation of Material Master based on project plan driven by your project manager and then specially assigned  to MM consultant  where Material Master uploaded to production system executed by data migration team.All activities depends on  project size where responsibility are shared.

LSMW can be used for uploading Material Master to production system  and  also other uploading tool can used.

For an implementation project, before implementation,you will have Cutover plan where Master Data Uploading Strategies are planned and accordingly Material master,G/L Master,Vendor Master,Customer Master,Cost Element,Cost Center Master,Profit Center Master,G/L Balances,

Vendor Balances, Customer Balances,Customer Advances and Vendor Advances etc.. are uploaded.

Regards,

Biju K

JL23
Active Contributor

1) there is no sequence of views, you can start at any view with material master creation. You do not even need the basic data view in the beginning. e.g. purchasing could start and creates its purchasing view and defines the name,as the name is available in any screen, then other departments are completing the material.

However, as this often just creates Chaos and numerous incomplete materials, the material master is often customized with mandatory fields. if this field is not in the view of your responsibility, and you have no right for the other view, then you just cannot start with your view. In many companies a central team creates the materials and coordinates that the data comes together, or a workflow is implemented.

2) LSMW is enough to load materials. Bhg blr , you cannot compare LSMW with BAPI, that is like comparing a house with just a room , because BAPI is one of 4 import methods in LSMW, and hence it can be used without needing an ABAPer to develop a frame for the BAPI (see my blog: )

3) of course materials are migrated before go-live. It is even among the first objects that are migrated in a project, because almost all other objects, like purchase orders, inforecords, sales orders, contracts, source lists, bill of materials..... need the material master.