cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can you configure the length of the password when using Rest option?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using the auto password reset option on the login page but when our users reset their passwords, they get an email with the new password and it is about 26 characters long. This is causing more problems that it is helping. Where can we configure the auto password reset length to make it more reasonable for users to be able to rekey? We have looked in the Portal User Management configuration and do not see that parameter. We are using Novell's e-directory, would this be a configuration there? if so, where?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tracy,

we have the same situation with long passwords generated, so this wouldn't be a Novell specific setting.

But I wonder why the pw-length is such a problem, you could easily change the mail text and ask your users to copy&paste the password. During the first login, they will have the change to choose a new one ...

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/f6/0edf3d0eb8af5ee10000000a114084/frameset.htm">This help page</a> implies that the password generated is based on your UME security settings for passwords. This should include the length, so maybe you can change the maximum length to something smaller?

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have been using it this way for about a year now, and it is a problem with our users.... we've told them how to cut and paste and they are forced to change their password after the first login, but our User Support staff still get a lot of calls on this and the users have been locking themselves out. We have been asked to simplify the generated password to make it easier for our users.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, Tracy you were able to do it , right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I used the documentation to set the maximum password length from the Portal System Administration - UME Security Policy screen, but it didn't have an effect on the password size.

I will work with our team that manages the LDAP (e-directory) to see if they have a setting for maximum password length to see if that makes a difference.

Even if that works, I don't think we would want to reset that property at the LDAP level. I would like to see that as a configuration option for the auto password reset utility in the Portal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Did you restart the SAP NetWeaver Application Server (AS) Java ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, we restarted services. When you make any changes, it prompts you when you save that the server needs to be restarted.