cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting error 1603 during an installation of CR for VS 2010

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've got a Windows Forms app, written using VS 2010, .NET 4.0, that uses Crystal Reports for VS 2010. I had to make a change to it because our domain has changed. I republished it (ClickOnce deployment). It doesn't want to install at all, but the problem is with Crystal, which is giving the error:

"'SAP Crystal Reports Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0' after install is 'InstallFailed'"

The process exited with code 1603.

I've searched online and it looks as though I'd have to install the app using elevated privileges, which I tried, but that failed as well.

I've tried installing on 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows 7, but it fails, same error.

So, how do I get around this problem?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thank you for your reply. I've tried downloading the Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 redistributable installers, both for 32-bit and 64-bit. That has fixed it, if we run it on a 32-bit machine. However, if we run the app on a 64-bit machine, the ClickOnce deployment insists upon trying to re-install Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010?! And it always fails.

But, as it is, I've spent two days on this problem and cannot afford to devote any more time to it. We've got a solution (running the app on a 32-bit version of Windows) that will work for now, but heaven help us if we ever get rid of that old 32-bit machine. I'll mark this answered, but don't consider the solution I have to be a complete solution.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahhh - for a 32 bit CLickOnce deployment on a 64 bit OS, you need to look at the following KBA:

1534388  - CRVS2010 - Creating Click Once deployment

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another possible solution is to uninstall any existing "SAP Crystal Report Runtime Engine for .NET Framework".

I recently upgraded a Visual Studio project to 2013 and installed Crystal Report for Visual Studio 2013. I ran into this error when trying to deploy to user's computer using ClickOnce deployment. What finally seemed to resolve the error was to uninstall the previous version of the CR engine. I wish there was a way for this to be automated. For now I am having my users manually uninstall the prior version.

Answers (0)