cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to archive non SAP documents using open text

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Greetings, I have a requirement to archive the non SAP documents like E-mail, scanned document and scanned images using the open text.

This is something new for me and as well as for my customer.

At this moment the current system is completely manual the letters or emails (both inbound and outbound) are stored in paper based system. They want to change this system by using the open text.

Scenario may be like this for a business partner there will be lot of Inbound and Outbound communications happening, all these communications should be stored in Open text (or equivalent storage using Open text) and the link should be stored against the business partner.

I have few questions regarding this.

1. Which team will take care of the integration of Open text with SAP?

2. Once the Open text is integrated with SAP how can I archive the non SAP documents through Open text? (Just an overview or Step by Step procedure will help me)

[If this question in posted in wrong discussion forum, please forgive me and advise me the right forum]

Thanks in Advance

Nivash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183148
Contributor
0 Kudos

Nivash,

1. Which team will take care of the integration of Open text with SAP?

SAP - OpenText Consultant Take care of these thing

2. Once the Open text is integrated with SAP how can I archive the non SAP documents through Open text?

1. Create the Content Repository
  2. Setup a communication to Content Repository
  3. Create a Document type of the respective Document Classes
  4. Link the Document type of the respective Business Object
  5. This Document & Business Object(in your case BP)  is stored in the link tables TOA01, TOA02 & TOA03

if there are any missing things like communication protocol is missing you need to create it.

Considering your case of i/b & o/b communication for a BP(may be SR) identify the Business Object do the above.

In case if you have more queries feel free to ask me.

Thanks,

Kolusu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suresh,

Thanks a lot for your reply, it is a helpful answer. when I posted this thread I was not clear about the requirement so I wanted to have the overview of the Open Text and SAP integration.

I think I'm pretty clear with those things now. But still I would like to take some advise from you on a specific requirement as below.

System works like this,

In SAP CRM we have BPs. For these BPs there will be lot of letters sent out through Campaign or some other Adhoc activities.

What SAP system should do is, collect the content which needs to be sent to the Partner and generate a unique ID (Correspondence ID), and send these information to Open Text.

In open Text side they will have a specific Template, which will be filled with the content which is passed from SAP and Open Text Sends the same to the printer.

For this we will be using ECM DP.

When Open Text sends the completed letter to the printer at a same time it sends the soft copy of that letter to the Filenet repository to store it for the future use.

My part here is, to build the content in the SAP system and generate the unique ID, which I'm pretty clear how to do it.

Areas where I'm not clear is,

How will I  pass this information to Open text? are there any RFC function modules or should I generate the XML file through SAP PO system and then pass it to the open text?

At the time open text sends the completed letter to the Filenet repository I need to store some metadata about that file, like the File name, created time, etc... how can I get this information from Open Text?

In short how do i pass information from SAP to Open Text and get the Response back to SAP system.

Your advice will be a great help from me.

Thanks and Regards

Nivash S.

former_member183148
Contributor
0 Kudos

Nivash,

I see pretty new things like ECM DP and Filenet interacting with SAP and OT.

"open Text side they will have a specific Template" - What do you mean by OT? Streamserv? What OT(add-on) component of SAP you are using to do this?

"When Open Text sends the completed letter to the printer at a same time it sends the soft copy of that letter to the Filenet repository to store it for the future use."  - Why Filenet? when OTAS/OTCS is already in place

"At the time open text sends the completed letter to the Filenet repository I need to store some metadata about that file, like the File name, created time, etc... how can I get this information from Open Text?" - Needs some clarity to answer this question

"In short how do i pass information from SAP to Open Text and get the Response back to SAP system." - Follow the configuration I mentioned in the earlier post which will lead to the link that will be created in the TOA1 table the backend logic is that when document is archived the archive document id is generated which will be saved in the TOA1 table and also in the CR. When you open the attribute file on the CR of the respective folder you can see the same archive document id as in TOA1 table. Above this CR, BO and Archive id will also gets related. So, final word is when OTAS and above said Configurations are in place they happen automatically.  

It looks very interesting to input. Please keep posting to respond.

Cheers!

Kolusu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suresh,

Thanks again for the reply.

Let me give more clarity for the points you highlighted above.

As of now the proposal is to use Document Presentment Live, but still not sure which component will be used, but my understanding is technically we will be following the same method to communicate with Open Text. Pleas correct me if I'm wrong.

There are lot of documents stored in filenet so my customer requirement is to store the new documents also in filenet, so that other parties in the business can access all the contents. So this is more towards business requirement.

I think your answer related to table TOA1 gives me the answer from where can I retrieve the Document ID which is stored in the repository.

But how can I send data to Open Text is it through any RFC function modules or some XML formats. Or is there a entirely different strategy involved in that. Please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help

Thanks and Regards

Nivash S.

former_member183148
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nivash,

"At the time open text sends the completed letter to the Filenet repository I need to store some metadata about that file, like the File name, created time, etc... how can I get this information from Open Text?" - I guess the stored document from OTAS will be used to create the letter through template which means the info is already available in the OTAS DB(not sure where to get filename from, within DB. Other info should be available in "ds_doc" table of the DB if I still remember it correctly) .   

"But how can I send data to Open Text is it through any RFC function modules or some XML formats. Or is there a entirely different strategy involved in that. Please let me know." -  I see that only once the data is being send to OpenText which will be handled by the configurations which I already specified. If you are asking what's happening background partly YES.

Hope this helps you

Good Day!

Kolusu

former_member183148
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nivash,

"At the time open text sends the completed letter to the Filenet repository I need to store some metadata about that file, like the File name, created time, etc... how can I get this information from Open Text?" - I guess the stored document from OTAS will be used to create the letter through template which means the info is already available in the OTAS DB(not sure where to get filename from, within DB. Other info should be available in "ds_doc" table of the DB if I still remember it correctly) .   

"But how can I send data to Open Text is it through any RFC function modules or some XML formats. Or is there a entirely different strategy involved in that. Please let me know." -  I see that only once the data is being send to OpenText, which will be handled by the configurations which I already specified. If you are asking what's happening background partly YES to RFC FM.

Hope this helps you

Good Day!

Kolusu

former_member183148
Contributor
0 Kudos

Nivash,

Please close the thread if this helps you.

Thanks

Kolusu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suresh,

Thanks again for the help. Still I'm not clear with the path to proceed but your answers gave me some kind of guidance.

Thanks and Regards

Nivash

former_member183148
Contributor
0 Kudos

Nivash,

Let's keep this thread clean.. you can contact me personally to discuss.

Answers (0)