cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Web Intelligence server memory is full. (WIS 30280)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Morning all,

I'm having trouble trying to understand the following error message:

"The Web Intelligence server memory is full. Please log off and try to connect later. If the problem persists, contact your Business Objects administrator. (WIS 30280)"

It is an error message that we are experiencing with only Business Objects report and it occurs when the report is scheduled to run on a nightly basis and occassionally when the report is run on an ad-hoc basis.

The report contains a very large number of custom-made varaibles and I'm unsure if the queries being run, the amount of custom-made variables needing to be processed, or the combination of both these things is causing the error message.

It is also a report that most times will run successfully on an ad-hoc basis, but generally fails when being scheduled. I was always under the impression that reports have a better chance of running when being scheduled.

Any helps, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a result of the process maxing out on its available memory. Is this a BOE3.1 environment? In that case you may want to have multiple instances of the webi processing server so it can better distribute the load, as it appears to me (but I'm making assumptions here!) that you probably have other webi reports running at the same time. You can use MS Process Explorer tool and find the webi proc server and see that it reaches more than 1 GB in memory before the issues will happen that you describe. All the reports eat memory and at some point garbage collection will happen to free up memory. So if you try later (when it's less busy the reports may run fine.

Also, have a look at https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1584486 to see if that applies.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All.

For This the first case:

1) Go to windows explorer.

2) Go to C drive (or wherever your Tomcat is installed) c:\programfiles\Tomcat\webapps\businessobjects\enterprise115\desktoplaunch\WEB-INF\classes\webi.properties

3) open this file webi.properties with a notepad and add MAX_HEAP_SIZE=1024000000 as the bottom most line of the file.

4) Save the file.

5) Restart the tomcat server and webi as well.

KBase Article ID:1026601

Article refers to: BusinessObjects Enterprise XI

Cause

The error message appears because the Web Intelligence server stresses the memory resources when processing many reports containing a large amount of data.

Resolution

To resolve the error message, it is necessary to increase the memory heap size value. Complete these steps:

Click Start > Run. The Run dialog box appears.

Type "regedit" in the Open text field. Click OK. The Registry Editor appears.

Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager.

Click Subsystems > right-click Windows key > click Modify.

Edit the SharedSection value from 1024,3072,512 to 1024,3072,1024.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite

11.5\default\WebIntelligence\Server\Admin\SwapTimeOut.

Edit this value to 1500 seconds. Alternatively, set this to a value higher than the Web Intelligence Report Server connection time out value found in the Central Management Console. This value is written in minutes. The default value is 20.

Close the Registry Editor.

Restart the Web Intelligence Report Server for the changes to take effect.

Second case:

Probable Resolution:

Log onto Central Management Console (CMC).

Click on Servers.

Click on Web_IntelligenceReportServer.

Click on Properties tab.

Reduce the "Cache Timeout (minutes)":to 20 minutes.

Reduce the "Document Cache Cleanup Interval (minutes)":to 20 minutes.

Click on Apply to Update.

Restart the Buisness Objects Servers.

Final this is answers

The problem is pretty much exactly what the error says.

Your Webi Report Server has run out of memory.

This could be to 2 things :

1. Bad report design that brings too much data in or has too many report side calculations and combination of that make WIRS run out of memory

2. The server is overloaded with requests, too many reports are being processed at the same time

3. There are some bugs in early product versions that contribute to this and fixed in later Service Packs/Fix Packs

Thanks & Regards

Narasimhulu M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Morning all,

I set the report to run over the weekend (which is a quieter time for us) and it ran 5 successful instances out of 8. The 3 that failed did so because of a lack of connection with the server, rather than the memory being full. Since then the report still hasn't failed due to the lack of memory space.

After speaking to our technical team they actually upgraded the memory on 2 of our servers yesterday and they are positive this will stop the memory full error from occurring.

However, I also believe that the report is at fault as this sort of error hasn't appeared with any other report. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks to all of your replies, I really appreciate the assistance and support.

This is the only report that we're currently having problems with regarding this error message. This morning I ran the report 3 times (all ad-hoc), in different formats and got three different results.

1. 1) I ran the report in it’s current format and it took 13 minutes to run
  2. 2) I recreated the report in a more “standard” style and it took 10 minutes to run
  3. 3) I recreated just 3 queries from this report (out of a possible 8 with no custom calculations) and the queries could run due to the webi server being full

With point 3 I have never seen this error message when running this report on an ad-hoc basis. So, I’m not sure if at this time of running if there was some increased traffic, or not. Generally for us Friday morning is a real quiet time for Business Objects reporting.

I will need to find out details on the number of WEBI servers and the RAM installed on the BO server. Annoyingly our infrastructure is operated by another operational team. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the update, now we can only concentrate on this particular report.

Please provide us wth the other information from the Infrastructure team so that we can look more into it.

Regards,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe the issue is not at Admin level, but it is with the report query itself, which I suspected in the beginning.

The query fired is rather complex and hence you are facing the problem. The same has bbeen found on point 3 from your observations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

Adding to the above port, as you had mentioned that the issue is only with one particular report and that too in peak times so with that saying we can also check the execution of the SQL query directly on Database (instead of BILaunchPad, WEBI Rich Client, etc) and see the observations. I second Arvind's comments that definitely it doesn't seem to be a admin issue and more likely a report level/report design issue. 

Please share your further thoughts..

Thanks,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

As per your updates issue seems to be an intermittent one during nightly basis and when there is some ad-hoc request. Please provide us with the below info to get some more depth of the issue:

- First of all how many reports have this issue? Is the issue with particular reports or all the reports?

- Is the issue while scheduling only or while refresh, view, etc

- Can you create a test report based on test universe and test if the same issue occurs while scheduling?

- How many WEBI servers are there in the BO deployment at your side?

- What is the RAM memory installed on BO server?

In the meantime please check the below steps if it helps:

Probable Resolution:

1. Log onto Central Management Console (CMC). 
  2. Click on Servers
  3. Click on Web_IntelligenceReportServer
  4. Click on Properties tab. 
  5. Reduce the "Cache Timeout (minutes)":to 20 minutes. 
  6. Reduce the "Document Cache Cleanup Interval (minutes)":to 20 minutes. 
  7. Click on Apply to Update. 
  8. Restart the Buisness Objects Servers.

Regards,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks for your replies, I have found them all very useful.

The report when scheduled has previously taken 49 minutes to run, but this was during a busy time when a large amount of reports were running.

On an ad-hoc basis the report run time varies between 10 - 20 minutes.

This morning I have recreated the report from scratch and dramatically changed the structure to something which we view as more "standard". However, the queries still take about 8 minutes to run and when in the "edit report" window there does seem to be some form of time delay when saving the report. I can't tell if this is due to the volume of data that has been retrieved, or if there is something up with the infrastructure.

When the report is scheduled it is done so twice, so one is an Excel output and the other is a PDF.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have multiple output formats for the schedule. You can use publication to distribute the report in excel and pdf formats. One time it report will run and give the different outputs as excel or PDF.

you can have the multiple formats with single execution of the report through publication.

Would you mind marking the helpful answers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Berend and Prasad have provided certain valid points here. From the details you have provided I am assuming that the report is being run at a time when the load is very less. ( experiencing with only Business Objects report and it occurs when the report is scheduled to run on a nightly basis and occassionally when the report is run on an ad-hoc basis.)

So first let us understand how much time does the report takes to run successfully and when it gets getting failed.

Next we will need to understand whether the report takes time to get scheduled to any particular location.(Enterprise / Ftp / Email)

You would also be able to see that the job would be getting failed due to some particular service (Adaptive Job service).

As issue is also found to be occuring when report is being refreshed the WIPS is also facing a load, here.

So I further drill it to know how much time report would take to execute in client tool. Later we will fire the query directly to the database and observe the time taken in this context.

Overall I believe that the issue is with the way the report has been created and hence it would need more modification so that query analysis can be performed in an easier manner by BO processing engines.

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

From the description  we understood that “More No. Of Variables & Input Controls” are causing the issue in report.

This error may resurface when there is increased activity on BOE and WIPS are already consuming extra RAM than normal.

WIPS is spiking to high memory when you execute/schedule the report . You can monitor the same by running  the report particular WIPS server and monitor the memory utilization.

There are multiple reason are there for your issue

• Memory allocation of WIPS: Seems like Max memory allocated is less for you WIPS.
  • Report schedule time: You might have scheduled the report during the peak time
  • Report Design issue: You might have used very high number of variables in the report. as its consuming much memory of Webi Processing server

You can avoid these issues by:

• Increasing the WIPS max memory
  • Schedule the report during off-peak time
  • Try to reduce the No-of variables and check.

Kindly let me know if you need any additional details.

Thanks,

Prasad