Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

in sap hana sp6..we have abap development persecptive,abap profiling,abap integeration...does this persective play an major role...as we have many other persecptive?

Former Member
0 Kudos

actually ...i am abaper...so in sap hana ...there have an intoduced the topic abap on sap hana.....does in coming years does abap will completely run on sap hana..or just as an secondary database...i mean busness suite runs on sap hana or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding the question in the subject:

Perspectives in Eclipse basically provide environments for working in specific domains. They are meant to make the developer's life easier by offering a default view layout and a couple of handy short cuts. You can always customize perspective to fit to your need. When you install the ABAP development tools, they come with a couple of perspectives (e.g. ABAP, ABAP Profiling), and integrate with others (e.g. Debug). As such, the perspectives do not play an extremely important role. E.g. whether you edit an ABAP report in the ABAP or the ABAP Profiling perspective does not matter; it is just that the profiling perspective support specifically performance analysis of ABAP applications.

Regarding ABAP and SAP HANA:

You may want to have a look at some general information such as http://www.saphana.com/community/learn/solutions/abap-for-hana

In short: ABAP can use SAP HANA as primary database (in particular for BW and SAP Business Suite); there are no syntax changes required in custom code, except for a few specific cases (see ).

Regards, Eric

11 REPLIES 11

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Yeah ABAP completely runs on HANA and this year even Business Suite on HANA was also released.

ABAP Perspective can be used to do ABAP and HANA development at the same time.

It saves time as you can easily switch between HANA and ABAP development

Check the below Video by Thomas Jung on how to use ABAP perspective in HANA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO8OnitmyGg

Check my below blog for links to Suite on HANA and ABAp on HANA documents:

http://scn.sap.com/community/hana-in-memory/blog/2013/08/17/hana-reference-for-developers--links-and...

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi! vivek brother,

i have seen the video...but in sap hana ..i think there much changes in syntax in sap abap statement...or does all the features of abap will continue to run on sap hana...or does it is limited to some feature....

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

ABAP can run as it is on HANA without any changes in its Syntax

All ABAP features can run on HANA.

But now in ABAP on HANA, you get some extra features as now we can directly use HANA procedures and push the calculations to database layer.

So for using power of HANA some changes in ABAP code can be made to improve performance

Read the below blog and check my above mentioned blog to other ABAP on HANA documents, after reading those you will get veryu clear understanding of ABAP on HANA

http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/hana/blog/2013/06/05/abap-on-hana--from-analysis-to-optimization

http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/hana/blog/2013/03/24/performance-guidelines-for-abap-development-o...

Regards,

Vivek

0 Kudos

HI,

SAP Business Suite will still be open to anyDB beside HANA in the future. As such ABAP will always be supported in the application server for those databases.

One key difference is new HANA development/enhancement will only be enabled by new ABAP on HANA syntax/objects which will not be available for other anyDB.

Regards.

YS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding the question in the subject:

Perspectives in Eclipse basically provide environments for working in specific domains. They are meant to make the developer's life easier by offering a default view layout and a couple of handy short cuts. You can always customize perspective to fit to your need. When you install the ABAP development tools, they come with a couple of perspectives (e.g. ABAP, ABAP Profiling), and integrate with others (e.g. Debug). As such, the perspectives do not play an extremely important role. E.g. whether you edit an ABAP report in the ABAP or the ABAP Profiling perspective does not matter; it is just that the profiling perspective support specifically performance analysis of ABAP applications.

Regarding ABAP and SAP HANA:

You may want to have a look at some general information such as http://www.saphana.com/community/learn/solutions/abap-for-hana

In short: ABAP can use SAP HANA as primary database (in particular for BW and SAP Business Suite); there are no syntax changes required in custom code, except for a few specific cases (see ).

Regards, Eric

0 Kudos

Eric - Currently the HANA native application development is supported using Javascript (Very Strange how SAP has chosen this one even though Oracle owns this product )..Is there any plan in the near future to introduce ABAP as an additional option for developing HANA native applications?? Kindly clarify...

Thanks

Hakim

0 Kudos

Hi,

short clarifications:

1) JavaScript is not owned by Oracle (don't confuse JavaScript with Java). Originally, JavaScript was designed by Netscape. Today, JavaScript is very popular both on the client (i.e. in all browsers) and on the server (e.g. HANA XS, node.js). There are many powerful JavaSript engines by different providers (e.g. Mozilla SpiderMonkey, Google V8, etc.), i.e. it is not bound to a single software vendor.

2) Of ocurse, ABAP can be used to develop HANA applications: all capabilities of the SAP HANA platform are fully acessible from ABAP. The main difference of the HANA Extended Application Services (HANA XS) you are refering to, is that they do not require an ABAP sytem, i.e. you can develop HANA applications directly on HANA without any additional application server. For more information how to make use of advanced HANA features from ABAP, you can have a look into many posts in this community or the HANA academy at http://www.saphana.com/community/hana-academy#Using-ABAP.

Cheers, Eric

0 Kudos

Eric - First of all thank you very much for clarifying my questions...With respect to #2 you have mentioned that HANA Native Application development (HANA XS) does not require ABAP System..My question is whether there are any plans to include ABAP Programming as well as a part of HANA Native development as i understood currently Only Javascript is supported( May be RDL in the future)..Otherwise i see HANA Native development is restricted to specific developer community( Javascript ) and cannot be called as Open platform...As per my understanding Open platform should allow developers of various background such as ABAP / Java / .NET etc to build application in the specific language...We have the similar set up in SAP Netwever where can do ABAP / JAVA based development but i strongly believe HANA Native development should be open to other Programming language esp ABAP and not restrict it with specific programming language such as Javascript...Your thought on this is much appreciated...

Thanks

Hakim

0 Kudos

Hi Hakim,

you are raising very interesting questions about SAP HANA as development platform.

I will try a short answer here, and maybe I will create an separate general blog post about the topic, as it is very dear to me.

For the sake of clarity, let me first briefly define the term "Native HANA Application": it refers to applications making use of the SAP HANA real-time data platform, i.e. using capabilities going far beyond the capabilities of a standard, relational database (such as e.g. advanced analytics, data mining, text analysis, geo-spatial ,etc.).

These capabilities of the HANA platform are consumable via open interfaces from different programming languages and environments (with different levels of comfort). While HANA XS offers a minimal application server directly built-in into HANA which is available with every HANA installation (including SAP HANA Cloud Platform), also the Application Server ABAP has been optimized in Release 7.4 to enable ABAP developers to fully leverage and benefit from HANA.

But also other environments such as Java, .NET, and others can also make full use of HANA as platform. This is mostly done using SQL/MDX (and HTTP) based interfaces to the platform (most capabilities of the real-time data platform ultimately offer a SQL based access, using SQL as a kind of "lingua franca"). As an example, we have recently also released a HANA database driver for node.js (see https://github.com/SAP/node-hdb) based on the open SAP HANA SQL Command Network Protocol.

Best regards, Eric

0 Kudos

Eric - Thanks again for giving a brief explanation about HANA and its possible development environment options..

I agree with you that ABAP 7.4 has been optimized for HANA and the existing customer can extend and build new applications based on HANA using ABAP 7.4...

Consider this scenario: Customer A buys HANA and tries to develop native applications using it...When i meant native it is without using SAP Netweaver AS ABAP / Java...As you have mentioned that is is possible....In this scenario the development language available to the customer to build native application is Javascript (May be RDL in the future)...My question is when we say HANA platforms main strength is openess it should not restrict native applications development to Javascript alone...HANA should support ABAP / Java / .NET as other options to build native applications..Why cant ABAP AS / Java AS be brought inside HANA itself(2 tier architecture) similar to application server currently resides inside HANA to write Javascript code??  Appreciate your response....

Thanks

Hakim

0 Kudos

Eric - Do you have any update for my above question?

Thanks

Hakim