Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping SAP inst on certain Phase

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

Need some expert advice on SAPINST.

We are using SWPM for export and import of NW 7.02.

As we don't have the option of using parallel export and import, we going for export the system first and then import.

Problem is SWPM takes long enough time for creating the database and creation of table space.

As my DBSIZE.XML is created i can provide that in advance. But is there any option where i can do stop the SWPM before IMPORT ABAP.

So that i after getting the complete export dump i can copy that on target system and start the import from the stop prompt.

Regards,

Anil Bhandary

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Anil

But is there any option where i can do stop the SWPM before IMPORT ABAP.

If you want to interrupt sapinst just before the "Import ABAP" phase then the only option is to move/rename the R3load file from the kernel location which will terminate the sapinst.

As far as I know there is no other option.

Regards

RB

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear RB,

Just by coping the folder with no data under ABAP/DATA folder and only DBDIZE.XML will do to move till phase import abap. then during error of import abap i will copy all the files to export directory and place the r3load in right place and retry it.

Will it do or this is not a right method.

Regards,

Anil Bhandary

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anil

If you rename R3load.. your import abap phase will STOP in with error.

However this is what you want..once export files r available.. you just name R3LOAD back and retry in sapinst. Since now it will find R3LOAD..everything will eork fine.

Best regards

ashish

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Will it do or this is not a right method.

It will interrupt sapinst and there is no other method available to the best of my knowledge.

Regards

RB

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Anil Bhandary,

As I could understand, you want to 'force' SWPM to stop before it finishes the whole export procedure to take the data and run the import. Is that correct? If so, I just would like to remember you that the procedure you want to do is not supported by SAP. If you face any issue during the import, it will be asked to repeat the procedure.

If it taking too much time in some SWPM phase, it is necessary to investigate the root cause for that.

Do you have the 'sapinst_dev.log' file for further analysis? Please attach it and then I will be able to start an investigation.

Thanks and regards,

Henrique Girardi

SAP Active Global Support

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anil

you should rename R3load to R3load_old after Extraction of Kernel files in target system.. and your import abap phase will STOP with error saying missing R3load.

However this is what you want..once export files r available.. you just name R3LOAD back and retry in sapinst.  Since now it will find R3LOAD..everything will work fine.(this is tested method, work very well to prepare target system in advance)

Best regards

ashish

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Problem is SWPM takes long enough time for creating the database and creation of table space.

In my experience that should not take more than 15 mins, you won't be saving that much time. 😄

Regards, Juan

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

In my case , it takes near to 1 hour to come to phase import abap, which indirectly hitting my timeline of short downtime.

Regards,

Anil Bhandary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please post the sapinst.log and see where its taking time.

What is the os. Hope you would have taken case of the block size while getting the file system created. Are those file system or drive being cloned or are under high availability?

I had faced same issue in one project where the file system were replicated or sync and so it had to do two write and took longer . So for the installation phase we had to stop the sync and get resync after the installation was complete.

Thanks

RishI abrol