Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transports during EHP update

HammerM
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Forum Members

Please could you help with the following question:

We are updating our ERP 6 system from EHP5 SPS08 to EHP6 SPS09. We are using the Software Update Manager (SUM) to perform this update.

Could you please clarify what stage during the implementation is the last point at which transports can be imported to a system that is being
updated with SUM?

For example we have a transport that has been released from Development and is sat in the import queue for Test. Development has been
updated to EHP6 since the transport was released so is at a higher level than Test – we have no temporary / emergency Development system.

We want to leave the import of this transport into the Test system at the very latest we can during the running of SUM. When is this?

I know there is a stage when the workbench is locked, but that doesn’t matter for Test as we don’t develop there. So can we still import the outstanding transport that is in the queue for Test when the workbench is locked? If so, when is the latest point at which we can import this?

Thanks in advance for you help with this.

Mark

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

HammerM
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav

I am readin this guide and it is not clear. It states:

"Be aware that at the beginning of the Preprocessing roadmap step, the ABAP Workbench has to be locked. This has an impact on the development system as you can no longer provide corrections. The production system is also affected as no emergency corrections can be implemented in the system."

The above statement indicates that at the "begining of the Preprocessing step" when the workbench is locked in Development then no more transports can be implemented into the down-stream systems (Test / Production etc). However is this still the case when the transports have already been released prior to the workbench lock and are sat waiting in the queue for the down-stream systems?

At what point is the latest that these released transports can be imported? Is it when they have there workbench locked (even though they are not development systems)? - this lock happens at quite an early stage in the process....

Thanks again

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

The reason for that is because the shadow repository is being created during the Preprocessing phase. If you happen to import anything having an impact on the repository after the shadow repository has been created, it wouldn't be part of the shadow instance nor the final target system. See chapter 3.7 of the SUM Update Guide for details.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

You are allowed to bring in transports to the main system until you reach the Lock Development phase on SUM.

Once you cross the phase the imports are not possible and when you try to import a transport during this phase you will most likely get the error "upgrade is running no import possible".

You are only allowed to import the transports into the system once you have completed the upgrade.

Regards

RB

HammerM
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan / Samuli

Thank you both for your replies.

In previous EHP implementations we have imported transports just prior to the downtime phase - though I cannot clarify if these were just transports containing customising and/or custom ABAP programs. It was only because I noticed the sentence that I quoted from the SUM guide that made me ask this question. So it must be possible to import after the workbench lock step?

But becasue I read the sentence I quoted I am now questioning the impact of this procedure?

Do you have any more thoughts etc?

Thanks again

Mark

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Mark

So it must be possible to import after the workbench lock step?

It is not possible and not suggested after the lock development phase.

But technically it is possible to import the transport by unlocking the repository but this is not a supported method.

After you get into the lock development phase the DBCLONE jobs are triggered by the SUM in the main system to create the shadow system.

The technical components are upgraded in he shadow system based on the stack file you generated.

You don't want to risk the upgrade by importing some transports into the system after the lock phase as later in the upgrade there can be unusual surprises or some inconsistencies due to this.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm quite sure that there is no way to unlock the repository once you passed the phase in SUM. Even if there is any way, in worst case you would harm the whole upgrade. The only way to import emergency corrections in production system would be to reset the upgrade, all time spent would be lost and you would need to start over.

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Lippmann Daniel wrote:

I'm quite sure that there is no way to unlock the repository once you passed the phase in SUM. Even if there is any way, in worst case you would harm the whole upgrade. The only way to import emergency corrections in production system would be to reset the upgrade, all time spent would be lost and you would need to start over.

Sure you can.  Have a look at this note:  http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1901463

Or (as the note says) look at Appendix A.2.5 in the "Update of SAP Systems using SUM..." PDF guide which is on the end of the SL-Toolset link https://service.sap.com/sltoolset.

You can unlock the original system and/or the shadow system to enable you to make emergency changes in order to resolve issues with your upgrade.

But, as you (and others here) have correctly stated, this is not for making changes unrelated to upgrade issues.  You run the risk of destroying a good days work.

Regards,

Darryl

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I'm quite sure that there is no way to unlock the repository once you passed the phase in SUM.

Yes, it is possible to unlock the system. But the question here is whether it is possible to bring in the transports after the lock phase.

Again this is possible and mostly done if there is an need to correct an upgrade issue and not to import a transport request to disturb/interrupt the ongoing upgrade activity.

Regards

RB

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello mark,

Please check the SUM guide. It contains detailed information regarding this.

Basically,

for release upgrade there are 2 phases when SUM ask to lock the workbench.

1. LOCKEU_PRE : here if you can ignore the lock and proceed further.

2. REPACHK2 : in this phase you have 2 lock the workbench. After this phase you will not be able to move transports into or out of the system

In case of EHP installation only one phase is run.REPACHK_CLONE phase locks the system.

For complete details, please check the SUM guide. It have detailed infor regarding locking of the workbench and these phases.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would say until the repository switch meaning once your system is switched to contain the target release. I would however refrain from importing any transports containing DDIC changes, especially tables, views and indexes.