cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Incorrect Context?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are noticing a warning in our EH&S Change history for our specifications.  The Incorrect Context indicator is set on some of our changes and we're not sure what this means or what causes an Incorrect Context.  Has anyone else seen this or does anyone know more about context and how to avoid this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

raphael_dasilva
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

This issue was corrected by sap note :

1816425 - "Incorrect Context" in change document log

Please check if you have this note implemented on your system.

Hope it helps

Best regards,
Raphael

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Jason

ignoring for a moment the OSS note identified by Raphael; this change log topic is not easy to understand. Many users do have real problem with that (and I did never checked what will happen if you would use on the top "Change numbers"). Therefore this "log" is not easy to interpret and it really take time to understand what is shown there. Therefore it is used rarely; but quite helpful

There is a "consistency" report available in EH&S as well. I can not remember the report name; i have mentioned that report in a similar thread; I use the report rarely but it is very ! helpful.

C.B.

PS: just found the thread with the report. May be check:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/325929 please read carefully. You should differentiate between EHS special change documents and normal change documents

and "similar"

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3259295

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raphael,

Thank you for the suggestion of the note.  We did not have this applied, but we do now in our development system.  Can you provide a little detail about what we can expect?  I'm trying to test this to ensure there are no other concerns.  It appears the existing "Incorrect Context" errors remain in the system, but new "Incorrect Context" errors should no longer occur.  Is that correct?

Christoph - Thank you for suggestions as well.  We feel like we can read the change log report, we're just struggling to understand the "Incorrect Context" message on certain entries in the change log.  I believe this is a lack of knowledge on our part about what "Context" actually is.  Could you possibly provide some links to an explanation of what SAP Context is in this situation and possibly provide examples of how this error could occur?  I really appreciate your help.

Thanks to the both of you!

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Jason

since years I did not investigate once again regarding that. Sorry. Only by "hazard" I come accors similar problems examples etc.

But may be these links might help:

RC1_CHANGE_DOCS_DISPLAY EHS: Display Change Documents for Specifications - SAP Report - ABAP

Did you used RC1SUB_HIERARCHY_SHOW for the specification? By using this sometimes you can identify "error/inconsistencies" between table relations

a.) SAP has improved in the least years those APIs/BAPIs which write the data; before the improvement something like you have mentioned wa spossible

b.) it is very !!!! important that you use always the APIs/BAPIs to write the data to database. If you do it by your own by whatever ABAP techniques something like to have described might happen

May be check:

"Extras -> Change Document Log" does not display documents

Please use for the specification in question: report: RSSCD110

Creation of Change Documents for Specifications (SAP Library - Specification Management (EHS-BD-SPE)...

This is "better"; the othere options mentioned do use "intermediate" tables. RSSCD110 reads "direct" the change documents (design ist not like RC1_CHANG_DOCS_DISPLAY)

C.B.

raphael_dasilva
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Jason,

As far as i know, a data change is marked as 'invalid context' if the user has done more than one change on the same data and the report RC1_CHANGE_DOCS_GET did not run in between.

The exclamation mark means that the context (shown in the last column) cannot be calculated correctly because reading the current value from the DB always returns the result of the last data change. But this is a

warning and not an error. You can see the old and new values in the red and green columns and you can still find the changed record using the information in the context.

If you e.g. change the specification status first from xxx10 to xxx11 and then from xxx11

to xx200, the context will show the current value xx200 at both lines.

This note will prevent this warning if the user created a status record and changed it afterwards. If the user changes existing data more than once, the change will stay marked as 'invalid context'. This is because

the context (shown in the last column) is calculated from the current value in the DB. Nevertheless you can do more than one data change at one day and the old and new values are shown in the log.

This is a complex topic, as Christoph mentioned, but i believe it can clarify at least whath means the 'Context'.

Kind regards,

Raphael

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Jason

I believe the hints of Raphael are important. Here may be some add on informations as links:

consolut - EHS_MD_110_05_13 - Set Up Job for Creation of Change Documents

Change documents for deletions are not displayed

might be of interest too.

One additional topic. as you know: you can "click" through screens and add data. Only if you save they are stored. And as Raphael explained. RC1_CHANGE_DOCS_GET must be scheduled as well.

And there is a customizing activity related to that (Context definition) . I f i remember correct: not all changes can be "logged" using this approach. To my knowlegde: using RSSCD110 you will get all (but I did not investigate once again)

This is the "main" difference to RSSCD110. If sata is stoed you can use immediately  RSSCD110 to check change documents (but the look and feel is not as "nice" as the "build in" function of EHS.

C.B.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You guys are the best.  That helps a lot.  Thank you for once again teaching me more about SAP EH&S.

Thanks,
Jason