SAP for Healthcare Discussions
Foster discussions about patient care, cost reduction, and operational excellence in healthcare organizations using SAP. Join the conversation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Business Intelligence ICD-10 Readiness

Former Member
0 Kudos

I work for a hospital that is running SAP's Business Objects for clinical report design and scheduling distribution.  I called the SAP support line to determine if this software will be ICD-10 compliant come October and, if so, what software version will support the conversion from ICD-9 to ICD-10.  I was advised to post the question on this community discussion.

I would appreciate specific information as the hospital is currently conducting an assessment of its installed software for ICD-10 readiness and compliance.

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amanda,

This questions is a little out of place here. SAP Business Objects is a tool for building analytics solutions (reports, dashboard, etc.). The tool itself is agnostic to the information which you are reporting. The question you should ask is whether your organization's Clinical reporting solution is going to be compliant with CMS's ICD-10 CM codesets (diagnosis, procedure codes). Typically ICD-10 remediation is an enterprise wide effort which would start with a roadmap for clinical reports pertaining to the specific business area (provider in your case). For the purpose of BI assessment it might be useful to start with questions like -

1. Has your organization reviewed CMS General Equivalence Mapping (GEMS) for CM PCS

2. CMS has provided three potential solution paths - Backward Crosswalking, Forward Cross-walking or Dual Processing. Which of these paths has your organization adopted?

For additional information see -

2013-04-18-Transitioning-to-ICD-10 - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

From a purely tactical level some question to ask might be -

- Are your BI datastructures and reports ICD-10 ready? If your organization decides to go ahead with Dual processing how would this information be captured?

- Business Objects reports for hospital staff: would there be newer (upgraded) versions of these reports to support ICD-10 diagnosis or procedire codes. One method to support both 9 and 10 codes is to provide a way of versioning of the codesets itself

- Does your reporting system support non-ICD codes (e.g. HCPS or CPT codes)?

If you need further information search on specific ICD-10 compliance groups/websites on the internet might be a good place to start.

Hope this helps

Sandy