cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM terminates after welcome screen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Recently I have updated patch of a SC via SUM and everything went smooth.

After that when I try to open SUM for another patch updates after welcome screen SUM is terminates.

What Could be reason for this ?

I know that I Can delete the SUM Folder and uncar the whole content again but cannot afford to do everytime.

Any idea on this?

Regards

Rajesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

indeed the SUM does not allow a second run with the same folder, so you do have to uncar the content separately for each maintenance event.

As I am interested in your scenario, please let me know why you "cannot afford to do [uncar] everytime".

Regards, Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

Do you mean every time I have setup the SUM for Maintenance event ?

I have to apply Patches to the different SC's this time and earlier I have applied the same for different SC's..even for this SUM requires to be deleted and setup ?

Thanks

Rajesh

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

yes, that is the current situation.

Regards, Boris

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am in the same situation.  I just asked this question elsewhere, but now I see the answer.  I must agree with Rajesh that this seems a bit heavy to require a complete reinstallation of the tool each time a new patch is to be applied.  Certainly this was not the case with JSPM or SPAM/SAINT.

Unpacking the SUM tool anew each time it is used takes extra time, and requires us to keep the original half-gigabyte SAR file readily available.  It makes the process that much more onerous than it used to be.  For a big upgrade or enhancement pack update, or even a large sp stack update, this might not be a big deal, but it's a significant percentage of the sysadmin's time involved when it has to be done for a simple Java patch.

Could not an option be put into the welcome screen for, say "start new update", or something like that?

It also was not obvious that this was what was happening, so I ended up spending a lot of time looking for logfiles to figure out what the error was.  So, perhaps if it's not possible to put a 'start fresh' option on the welcome screen, then perhaps a statement notifying the sysadmin/operator that this install cannot be reused?

Best regards,

Matt