cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do materials 'without stock in QI' need Stock posting?

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have one query regarding the Stock posting tab in QA32. I searched a bit in SCN and other forums also but couldn't find a suitable solution.

QM is integrated with PP and MM and we use 04 & 01 respectively for different material numbers.

For few material in each category (01 & 04), stock is not required in QI and thus 'Post to inspection stock' is not set for respective materials. For such materials, inspection lot is generated without taking the quantity into QI.

All the materials (HALB and ROH) are set for batch classification and MICs and Class char linking is maintained. Everything works fine from recording the results, UD, Stock posting and inspection result transfer to batch.

• Materials, for which indicator is not set for Post to insp stock, user need to complete the stock posting along with UD to transfer the results into batch master even when stock actually does not move into QI.
  • Problem occurs when UD is given but stock posting not done, because results do not get transferred to batch and System status also remain as SPRQ.
  • To overcome this, we have maintained a UD code with description (Auto stock posting) and set the VMENGE01 To unrestricted use in Posting proposal UD.

My query: 

• When the stock actually is not taken into QI, why is it required to follow the SP alongwith UD?
  • Is there a way by which I can disable/disappear the Inspection lot stock tab for such material where stock is not needed?
  • Or, stock posting is not needed to be done to transfer the results since stock actually does not move into QI?

Following are the settings which are currently maintained,

1. Inspection is being done wrt Task lists (Usage 1 & 5 for 04 & 01 insp type respectively.
  2. In QM settings at Plant level, Batch valuation without material spec is set.
  3. Sampling procedure: Fixed sample, Valuation mode is 100 Attributive inspection nonconf. units, no multiple samples !!
  4. Other things like inspection points, DMR etc are not in use.
  5. I have also pasted a snapshot of QA32 and MMBE of same batch/material and storage location to understand the issue better.

If more information is required about anything, please let me know.

Regards,

ntn

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you look at configuration for the usage decision, you'll see two columns for movement codes.  One column is for use when the material is in QI.  The other column is for when material is in UR.

Even when the stock is posted directly to UR, from the UD, the inspector can still "pull" this material back if they find something wrong during inspection.  This only works of course if the material has not been used yet.

Say for instance, you have material coming in from a vendor that you post directly to UR but you inspect.  Say you got in 1000 kgs.  You inspect it and find an issue.  As long as there is enough material in UR, you can post the 1000 kgs to blocked stock via the UD posting screen.  This usually works well when using non-batch managed materials and inspection times are not overly long. With batch managed materials, it can be more difficult if you have tight inventory and the material is used quickly.

If say 250 kgs. have been utilized by production of the 1000 when you go to make the UD, you can post 750 to blocked stock but you'll be forced to post the 250 to UR.  (cause that's what actually happened).

If you want to save users from doing the posting, maybe you can use the automatic UD for this.  Create a variant for the job containing a list of the materials you allow to go directly to UR.  At least that way, only the lots with reject characteristics need to be manually processed.  And of course you need a business process for keeping the variant up to date.

Craig

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I didn't know about the pulling stock back functionality. Thank you so much for sharing this information. Indeed a value addition for me.

Yes, we have made it easy for users by creating an additional code with posting proposal UD as I mentioned in query.

My intent is to know the logic behind stock posting tab in QA32 when material qty is not managed by QA. And you said this is given by SAP so that QA inspector can control such stock if found with any defect or something, correct ?

Would test what you have explained tomorrow morning and accordingly close this thread because I'm unable to do it through cell phone 😞

ntn

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mr Craig,

I ran a test case with a material for which stock is not managed by QM.

As per your statement, via UD, I was able to control the stock by posting it to blocked even though 'Post to insp stock' is not set for this material.

So going by original query, I understand that Inspection lot stock is given so that QA can control the stock when needed, provided sufficient qty is lying in UR.

Is this the only reason behind it? Pl confirm before I mark this thread Closed.

ntn

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To the best of my knowledge that is the only functionality it provides.  Of course, as you have already mentioned and know, you can avoid having to do the stock posting by using the Auto UD.

Craig

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Mr Craig,

Going by my original query, I now know the reason behind Insp lot stock tab in case where qty. is not managed by QA directly.

For transfer of results to take place, feasible solutions are also discussed. If something arises in future related to similar functions (which is not known as of now, and if exists), we can discuss that in new thread.

Closing this one.

ntn

Answers (0)