cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GLM PDF generation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear GLM experts,

I need to setup PDF generation of labels generated from SAP GLM.  I know the settings for conversion of .RTF file for SDS, but has anyone setup PDF conversion for labels?

In this scenario  I am generating labels based on request from a java based web application, I need to return a label in PDF format. With standard setting I am able to return a .RTF file. Is there a way to convert the file within GLM itself.  Please let me know.

Thanks

P.S

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gentlemen,

We had a very good conversion on this topic. Thanks for pointing out several avenues to try this functionality. Finally I am able to generate PDF from GLM. Here is the summary of steps I did

1. Upgrade to EHP 6 SP 009 (EA-APPL)

2. Activate LOG_EHS_GLM_CI_4

3. Upgrade MS Word on generation server to 2010 64 bit

4. Upgrade WWI generation server to SP 32 64 nit

5. Complete IMG configurations for print request generation

6. Execute preview of label and preview is shown in PDF

Hope this helpful.

Thanks again.

Pugal

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pugal,

I have a similar requirement of generating labels from outside of SAP in PDF format.Can you please tell How are you generating labels from a java Based Application. Is there any BAPI or FM that you are using to generate the labels. Can you please tell me the exact steps that you used.

Appreciate Your Help.

Thanks

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Hema

please check

C.B.

christian_hund
Explorer
0 Kudos

You need to sue GLM+ as mentione by Michael, and you need to follow note 1535067 - EH&S WWI: Generating PDF files to setup PDF generation, usually you do not need to do anything when you use the mentioned Word and WWI version. Then do NOT use a [PrintUserExits] entry.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Christian

I am confused a little bit. I did not read the OSS note mentioned for a long time; but Balajee stated cleary that according the OSS the pdf generation is not possible. Now according to your explanation : you refer to the same OSS? what is now the "truth"? Is the OSS content wrong? On the other hand Subash found that you can select the result to get "pdf" etc.).

1.) please explain now: is OSS content wrong? is GLM+ giving here us new options so the mentioned OSS note can be ignored?

2.) what "really" happens if you select pdf? We are not using this scenario up to now. what is the next step after generation of the pdf? normally you would like to print something! this was my original question: what is the business need to have the pdf in place as it it static?` is the file only displayed on local client in Adobe and you can now do print the result ? May be you can comment on these questions. Thanks.

C.B.

christian_hund
Explorer
0 Kudos

In GLM (classic) no PDF can be used. In GLM+ "print request processing" PDF can be used as preview format.

Well you only get the first page, but with a bit of development you should be able to use the Preview function to generate the whole label as PDF if needed.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Christian

thanks for your hints/infos. Now the topic os clearer.

But may be you can explain your sentence:

"Well you only get the first page, but with a bit of development you should be able to use the Preview function to generate the whole label as PDF if needed."

Is this done by exchanging a function modules (as part of a e.g. configuration); is this done by using an enhancement spot?

C.B

christian_hund
Explorer
0 Kudos

In the new GLM Print Request API several BAdIs are available.

In this case you could use e.g. GLM BAdI EHS_LABELING_010 (IF_EX_CBGL_BADI_EHS_GLM_010~PRINTREQUEST_CONTENT_GET)

or in case you have an own process you just call the APIs according to your needs.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Christian

thanks for highlighting this option.

C.B.

michael_hofer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

only GLM+ can create PDF labels out of the box. GLM+ is available for:

• EhP7
  • EhP6 SP8
  • EhP6 SP11

Activation of the business function LOG_EHS_GLM_CI_4 is required.

The previous version of GLM cannot print PDF labels. As a workaround you can create a preview and use the PDF creation of MS Word. Serial numbers are not working for the workaround.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael!

My system is EHP5 SP11 and I had activated BF, "LOG_EHS_GLM_CI_4" ! and i did the IMG Configuration,

Environment, Health and Safety -> Global Label Management - > Prerequisites for Global Label Management -> Define WWI Settings -> Configure WWI Server for Print Request Generation.

Can you provide some more guidance ?

Regards

Subash Sankar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi !

To print the output file in PDF format, you need to write a macro program to convert the word format to pdf format. And then you have to mention your word document which contains that macro program & that macro program itself in WWI section, [PrintUserExits].

In std WWI.INI file, it will be mentioned by default as

[PrintUserExits]

; Format=addin(.dot);macro(.main)

;PDF=c:\wwi\wwiMkPDF;wwiEConvertToPDF

PDF=C:\wwi\wwiMKPDF;wwiEConvertToPDF.

Explanation:

In the above setting, WWI is expecting a macro program, “wwiEConvertToPDF” in the word file, “wwiMKPDF”.

So what you have to do is to create a word file and save it as (or you can have your own file and mention those details in the printuserexits section) wwiMKPDF. In that word file write the macro program – wwiEConvertToPDF, like this,

ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=DocName, FileFormat:=wdFormatPDF.

Regards

Subash Sankar

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Subash

can you add may be some additional comment? I believe the solution for generating a pdf file which is used in context of MSDS/SDS can not be used in this context but I am not 100% sure. Do you have an idea if this (your proposal) will work using the new GLM scenario as well (e.g. ) ? I am imterested in the further use of the "pdf" file.. Normally we try to print the label; the pdf file is only a document. Ok it can be stored somethere; but it is a "static" document.

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi C.B!

Yes you are true ! IN GLM you can't print labels as PDF as pere this SAP NOTE,

1535067 - EH&S WWI: Generating PDF files.

It clearly clarifies that, "The PDF generation cannot be used in labeling processes (Global Label Management (GLM)".

So my previous reply holds true only for MSDS report shipping context.

But interesting (confusing) thing is in new Enhanced GLM, you can preview the generated print request as PDF ! I am trying to check that out. But facing an error, .

But here is the setting for that,

Regards

Subash Sankar

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

quite tricky demand. In GLM process the Labeling Tool is used as well.

But what is your "real demand"? why do you need to the document as pdf? Can you explain that please?

May be there is an option: as you may know. the WWI generation server farm for Label printing is different. Therefore may be you can adapt WWI.Ini only on the Label WWI servers. In SDS distribution this is done to generate the pdf file (which you are asking for) but the label process is a little bit complexer; but there might be an option. I found only by hazard the german link:

http://www.consolut.com/en/s/sap-ides-access/d/s/doc/YX-EHS_SR_220_11

but if I remember corret: the topic is mentioned as well in SPRO in the context of "WWW.Ini" manipulation. You can add your own "USerexit" Visual Basic code; but you need to make sure (and here I have no idea) that you process only the WWI file after the Labeling tool has been executed.

I did not investigate the label process that deep in context of labels.

Check may be: Using the Labeling Tool - Basic Data and Tools (EHS-BD) - SAP Library

"Using the Labeling Tool"

Hope this helps.

C.B.