cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between Analysis View & Workbook functionality.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried searching through SAP documentation for my inquiry but haven't found anything concrete. What are the main differences between Analysis View and Workbook within Advanced Analysis for Excel?

I know an Analysis View is made from a BEx and a Workbook is a saved instance from an Analysis View. I am just trying to understand the key differences so I can make the appropiate security changes within our model.

Are there significant functionality Pros and Cons outside the fact that Analysis View comes first before the Workbook in terms of creation.

Is there an advantage in an end-user being able to save an Analysis View in their My Favorites or only allowing he/she to save Workbooks in their My Favorites?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Carter,

Analysis Views are saved instances that allow Crystal Reports for Enterprise & Web Intelligence to use the Analysis View as a data source - something that can't be done with a Workbook.

Also, the tool is no longer called "Advanced Analysis for Excel" - they dropped the "Advanced" part.

Does this answer your question?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that should do it. I'd imagine we will just let the low-level security end-users just read Analysis Views then save an instance as a Workbook if need be to reconsume them at a later point. The Developers will probably be the only ones to have authority to create Analysis Views.

Thanks!

former_member131154
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Russel,

in addition what already said.

The Workbook is the much more complex element. As you know a workbook can contain several Worksheets with several datasources, crosstabs, charts, filter objects and VBA and much more. This all together is stored if you save the workbook.

The analysis view is nothing more than a saved navigation state of a single datasource. It does not contain any "layout" or visualization elements, just the pure navigation state (without the data).

As Tammy said they can be consumed by WebI, Crystal for Enterprise but also Analysis OLAP and Office. Sometimes its worth to also reuse them within Analysis Office to avoid creating the same navigation state multiple times in different workbooks.

And last but not least especially for WebI... you might know that not all BEx Querys are supported by WebI. But you can add any BEx Query to  a Workbook and then save it as Anaylsis View. And all Analyis Views can be consumed by WebI. So this is in some cases a valid way to bring your Bex Query to WebI. 🙂

All the best

Dirk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carter/ Russel,

I have some question on analysis view ,

I created an analysis view on a cube (built on ESSBASE cube) and was trying to bulid a webi report from that but i'm not able to see them when I try to create a webI on top of this.

I tried the same with BW cube and i'm able to see them in Webi.

Question is - does webi supports only the analysis view created on BW cubes and not the ones created from ESSBASE Cubes?

Please help.

Thanks,

Anil Zacharia Chacko.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anil - per SCN rules, please create a new discussion for this. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Sorry about that,

Actually I already have another discussion for this but I did not get any answers for it yet..

so was checking for other ways to find an answer..

This is quite urgent for me and I have a deadline of this Friday.

Thanks,

Anil Zacharia Chacko.

Answers (0)