cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone imported mappings from Excel into PDM using Excel import extension?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you post steps (and excel structure requirements) that led to successfull import? Are there any obstacles particularly for mapping import?

Thank you,

Ondrej

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We played with a bit.  We inherited hundreds of mapping documents in our own crazy custom format.  We imported the mapping data as extended attributes on the columns and then wrote another script to generate the maps from that data.  That gave us a lot more control over how the mappings were generated and allowed us to compensate for some issues with the data in the spreadsheets.  It ended up being faster than trying to modify the format of all the spreadsheets into something more acceptable.  Unless your mapping documents are pretty clean that may end up being easier in the long run. 

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

so you obviously got the hang of the metamodel for mappings - must look at that one day

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you ever get this working? The metamodel for mappings is pretty complex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not yet. I was curious if there is any excel structure, which is acceptable for standard Excel import extension. I can of course write my own import script, but using standard import wizard (now it can even create external shortcuts in the model when necessary) would be much simpler than custom import.

It is similar situation to excel structure for importing indexes (including indexcolumns). The excel structure (acceptable for excel imoprt wizard) for that is not very intuitive so you just NEED TO KNOW the requirements for the excel structure.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I usually do is, make from the listview or whatever a export to excel.

Then you have most of the column names.

Hans

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

How would an Excel file for that look like ?