Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Studio applications not resizing for different window resolutions

madireddy_rahulreddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I have created a design studio application on desktop with resolution 1440*900 but when I try to view the application on other desktops with resolutions like 800x600,1024x768,1280x720,1280x1024, the panels and the graphs do not resize themselves. I am using IE9 on all the desktops since that is the standard client browser. Is there anyway to tackle this issue?

I am using Design Studio 1.2 with IE9.

If this is the case, isn't this a huge task to design the same applications for different desktops/laptop users?

Appreciate your help on this.

Regards,

Rahul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Would you please check the PAM at https://websmp202.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001013822013E

Page 13 - only IE9 32 bit is supported

Are you using IE9 64 bit, possibly?

Tammy

madireddy_rahulreddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Tammy, Unfortunately, maintaining such a setting for each and every system for the client was unacceptable. After quite some testing, the only way I could solve this issue was by using GRIDS. I had to equally divide the pages into grids and use each grid to fit the graphs.

tanisha_gupta20
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

But even after using grid, if you add some chart components in there they do not resize themselves when you change the browser window size. Also, properties like legends are sometimes visible and sometimes not.

How did you get away with the chart resizing in grids?

Regards,

Tanisha

madireddy_rahulreddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tanisha,

Can you share a screenshot of what you are trying to achieve? My advice will be to divide the entire screen into equal parts using grids. For example, if your dashboard is having a single graph on left top, divide your screen into 4 equal parts using grid(2 rows and 2 columns with all margins as 0) and keep your graph  on left top grid and margins of the graph are 0,0,0,0. The graph will automatically resize.

Regarding the legends, Which version of Design Studio are you using. Try to work with 1.2 where issues such as legends do not exist. IE9 and IE10 browsers are supported. IE11 at this point isnt supported

tanisha_gupta20
Participant
0 Kudos

I am using design studio 1.2 IE 11

And even with the grid structure, charts do not resize in my case. I am doing the exact same thing. I thought it was an issue with the charts components.

Regards,

Tanisha

madireddy_rahulreddy
Participant
0 Kudos

Please check if the same is happening in IE9 and IE10 and check.

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tanisha,

I have encountered this issue as well.  As of Design Studio 1.2 SP01, charts do not auto re-size.  This is either a bug or a new "feature change".  The issue and a workaround was discussed in the comments to the following post:

Regards,

Mustafa.

tanisha_gupta20
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

I have read that thread and looks like nothing can be done without customizing the SDK I believe?

Regards,

Tanisha

tanisha_gupta20
Participant
0 Kudos

As weird as it may sound - I came down to a lower version IE9 32-bit and I am unable to see the application !!

Neither when I am publishing it locally nor when I publish it at a BI server. While publishing the application to a BI server it throws an error that document can not be found. Why ????

I just can not see anything with this new IE!

Regards,

Tanisha

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tanisha,

If you create a custom chart component with the SDK then of course you certainly have the flexibility to define your own re-sizing behaviour.  However, in my opinion, the re-sizing issue with the standard charts is a bug which SAP should fix.  Ideally, the SDK should be used to innovate new components rather than as a workaround for fixing bugs in the standard components.

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've gotta agree, this definitely sounds like a bug.  When I showed it to my teammates they were like "Wow it doesn't resize?  That's...not good".  We have many users with many different resolutions, how can the chart not resize?  Is this perhaps fixed in 1.3 (I'm on 1.2)?

former_member197751
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tanisha,

After adding grid as well you may face problem of chart sizing for charts like Pie. Where as COLUMN and tree and heatmaps are auto adjusting, if you keep width and height as auto and rest as zero. Even i faced same problem.

Thanks and Regards

Sateesh

former_member197751
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

You can give application width and height as auto. So that it will be adjusted based on the device. But using grid as well you may face some problems. check how you are going to use charts like Pie and All

Thanks and Regards

Sateesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

If you face issues with the native components. Then we have to wait for SAP to come with the solution. But for SDK we have the work around

Thats the issue with the sdk. The real reason behind the issue is. Our SDK component loads faster than the grid. So its taking the initial height of the grid and then the grid resizes.

I have a workaround for this. It worked for me. Include a settimeout function over your component function.

Sample:

this.afterUpdate = function()

{

setTimeout(function()

{

myCustomFunction();

},200);

}

It makes the component to reload after the Container(grid,tab strip,pagebook) loads.

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For SDK components I have also seen this exact same problem and have worked around it in a very similar way that Praveen mentions.  It has always been specific to the Grid layout container, and to complicated it even more, it acts a little differently (albeit problematic in either case) between IE9 and IE11.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Are you using auto height and width in your panel component or its fixed ? You may need to use the auto option to achieve the desired results.

Regards,