cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standalone Crystal Reports viewer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi - Is there a (free) standalone viewer available that can open reports created in versions of CR earlier than version 9?

G.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, you can try the CR 2013 viewer:

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sap-crystal-solutions/query-reporting-analysis/sapcrystalviewer/index.e...

Now, there are a few caveats when using this viewer;

1) You can not change the datasource.

2) You can not modify the reports.

3) Most reports should work, but some may not - depends on all kinds of variables. It is always a good idea - if not best practice, to update the reports in the CR designer.

There is an eval of CR 2013 available here:

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/freetrials/index.epx

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek -

Thanks for your answer.  I have tried the CR2013 Viewer and it looks good.  Unfortunately it will only open reports back as far as CR9 which is why I posted the question.  I am looking for a viewer for reports older than version 9.  Thanks anyway...

G.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's where the problems start. Too many changes from CR 8.5 to now. In CR 9, the database engine was completely rewritten. And changes to report format as well as exports were implemented and continued from there on. I looked to see if I had what was called "Compiled Reports", which was essentially the equivalent of CR 2013 viewer (only better in that you could actually change the datasource), but  I don't have that anymore. You may though, having CR 8.5(?). But I just don't remember much about it (did it install with CR 8.5? did it have to be downloaded separately?). One thing you may want to consider is googling for Ken Hamady. He has a bunch of apps on his website and perhaps one of them will do the trick for you.

- Ludek

ido_millet
Active Contributor

Answers (0)