cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHS management prerequisites

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have read some of the introductory links posted by Christopher, and I have an easy ( i think) question.

When a company decides they want to purchase SAP EHS Management, what other modules are a pre-requisite, or a given, in order to use it?

For example, if a company wants EHS Management, would MM and SD be a part of their purchase or a prerequisite?

Use of SAP EHS Management

SAP EHS Management is integrated very well in the SAP ERP processes. Normally it is not used as a "standalone" application/module. It support companies to be compliant regarding chemical products. The main integration points are:

1. SAP MM
  2. SAP DMS
  3. SAP SD
  4. SAP PP
  5. SAP QM
  6. SAP PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Scott

to my understanding (I am not ! a SAP license expert) you (as the company) is buying a license to use SAP ERP. Part of SAP ERP are: MM.....; If you would like now to use SAP EHS Management you need on top License. So the story is (to my knowledge): first you need license SAP ERP and then on the top license EHS Management (please refer to discussion in ; a SAP EHS Management license contains now "more" in comparison to "history".

If you check sap help: hierarchy should be clear: only for completeness:

SAP ERP Central Components => Logistics => Environment, Health and Safety (on the same level are: MM, SD .... etc.)

From technical point of view:

SAP MM: this module is used to create the "Material". We need the material in many contexts of SAP EHS. You can use SAP EHS Management without having the material; but then there is nearly no integration possible with logistic processes as these are material driven

SAP DMS: you need this (or similar option) to store reports; if you do not want to store reports (WWI reports) then you need no set up of SAP DMS; but as SAP DMS is part of SAP ERP ...

SAP SD: this is the next important normal used integration option. Here we have: SDS distribution, use

if DG topic etc.

SAP PP => e.g. BOMBOS interface; Recipe Management ....

SAP QM: there are something liek max 5 threads in this FORUM discussing the interface EHS <=> QM => rarely used

SAP PM: mainly used in IHS ...

I hope that you may be have now a better picture about that.

C.B.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Scot

EHSM is not a stand alone component , i will be the part of SAP Logistics , if you want to implement the EHSM , you need to buy the license of SAP Logistics Module in which  all components like MM ,SD,PP,PM and EHS..etc will come (Refer below screen shot)

if you want to implement the new EHSM New components like Product compliance ,Risk Assessment or Incident Management , you need to purchase additional license for these components(EHSM CE 4.0)

Hope you are getting , if any questions pl . ping back

Balajee

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Christoph and Balajee.

Based on the hierarchy I see now in the SAP menu, it is very clear how this is all related.

So my next question is this, based on what you told me above:

I see that Dangerous Goods Management is part of the EHS component. Does this mean that if a company decides they want EHS, does Dangerous Goods Management then come as part of EHS since it is a level under EHS?

Even if DGM is part of EHS, a company may choose not to use any DGM functionality, correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Scott,

SAP EHS basically comprises of sub modules or areas including SAF, GLM, HZM, DGP, WA, IHS and OH.

The basic building blocks for all these modules are set up using the 'Basic Data and Tools'.

Note that for using the EHS-DGP (Dangerous Goods Management), the pre-requisite or necessary components include SAP SD and SAP MM modules.

The prime functionality of DGP component is to ensure that all the transport regulations are met and are in accordance to the legal requirements. Apart from the transport regulations, packaging checks, Handling unit integration, custom checks etc... can be incorporated as per the requirement.

DGP comes along with the EHS packagae, and it is totally up to the company and whether to configure it or not. The DGP component (prime function is the 'checks')  can be activated if required.

Note: The EHS-DGP is an add on functionality to the SAP SD module where in you can execute checks for the safe transport of goods.

Regards,

Chris.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Scott

Different EH&S Solution are available(but not activated)  along with EHS Component , you can adopt/Acitvate them as per your business Needs. Below are just High level overview on EH&S Solutions

Product Safety: This Solution will help you in creation of Safety data sheets for your products.

Dangerous Goods Management: This solution will help you in classifying your Hazardeous/Non Hazardeous based on their nature and complying of Global Hazardeous Material Transport Regulations.

Hazardous Substance Management:- This solution will help you in Handling of your Hazardeous Raw materials which will be used in your process.

Substance Volume Tracking: :- This solution will help you Monitoring of  Statutory approved Quantities of (REACH,RoHAS..Etc) .

Global Label Management:- This will help you in creation of Hazardeous/Non Hazardous  Material Lables which will be indicates the information of your products.

Industrial Hygeine & Occupational Health:- These two components will help you in Controlling / monitoring of  Human risks during working & Employee Health surveillance.

Not sure about above components how long it will be under EHS , because seems SAP will plan to merge these 2 solutions under Human Resources component. At present  OH Related Roles in EHSM Solution.

Incident Management (EHSM CE ):- This will help you in Managing Incident/Accidents information with in your organisation

Risk Assessment (EHSM CE ):- This will help you in Performing Assessment of Risk for controlling the incident/Accidents  with in the organisation

Product Complaince(EHSM CE ):- This will help you Managing compliance(RoHas/SVHC/REACH ) information about your products for both  & Discrete Industries

Environmental compliance:-This component will helps you in Managing Permits & Tracking of Emissions generated with in the organisation. For Activating this component you have to take seperate License.

Balajee

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are a few inaccuracies in the above posts. Don't confuse the licensing requirements with where you find the components in the hierarchy. So for example, finding Environment, Health, and Safety under Logistics or under Human Resources is an artifact of where the components were developed. (I can't explain the technical side of this. I just know this is the case.) The older applications are found within ERP but separate licenses are still required. The newer applications are found in what is called the component extension for SAP EHS Management. Think of it as an add-on to ERP that "sits on top." One benefit of developing the solution this way is that it became possible to separate the EHSM release schedule from the ERP release schedule, allowing for example, several releases that only required ECC 6.05 as the minimum, rather than requiring EhP 6 or EhP 7. Again, don't assume that just because you find some functionality for EHS under Logistics that it comes with the ERP Suite license. Don't assume that because you find some EHS functionality under Human Resources that there is some plan to merge the applications into HR. This isn't true. And realize that functionality that comes with the EHS Management license is not found all in the same place in the component hierarchy.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mary

as you may have realized: the topic if licensing etc. and software architecture of SAP EHS Management has been discussed several time in this FORUM. May be you could prepare an overview document regarding that. Many people seems to have here a problem of "understanding" that.

I believe you are really the right person to prepare the document. I believe you will get an enthusiastic feedback in preparing the document ().

C.B.

PS: Anybody who read Mary's comments should do that "twice" / "tripple" times or may be more ! ; they are important !  (an don't forget: to my knowledge you must "acticate" EHS so that you can "see" the EHS related folders in SAP menue. Please check market place. There is a very ! important OSS note available giving the overview about that (EHS classic !!; EH&amp;amp;S installation: Composite SAP Note; on the top: Composite SAP Note: Relevant notes for EHS dangerous goods)

E.g. the SAP menue as shown is a "standard" one. You can prepare your own menues based on company needs and you can link to access roles granted; this clearly simplifies the user interaction; in any case: you can create you personal "favorites" using SAP standard technique; very helpful !

Some transaction is displayed more than once (refer to hint of Mary for HR). But the same is true as well if you check Customizing. Sometimes the same customizing acitvity is shown in several subchapters. This is done (I assume) to make it easiert to simply use the activities step by step if a new entry is needed without "long" search in SPRO (this is possible in any case).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Because of the long history of the EHS solutions, the pricing changes are not easy to explain. There are often exceptions in customer-specific contracts, so what I can provide here is just a basic overview. There are a few issues that I will share here because they should provide some context and a basis to have a conversation with your account team:

1. In the 2008-2009 timeframe, there were some pretty major changes made to the price list. At that time, the "old" Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) license went onto the legacy price list and the new EHS Management (EHSM) set of solutions was created. As an example, xApp Emissions Management became SAP Environmental Compliance and then almost immediately was renamed to SAP Environment, Health and Safety Management: Environmental Compliance. (I'll abbreviate this as SAP EHSM:EC.) The waste management application in the legacy EH&S was then moved to the SAP EHSM:EC application so that all of the environmental-related functionalities are together. As you can see, this can get confusing. If you own EH&S and have not upgraded to EHSM, you do still have the right to use waste management. And likewise, if you bought xApp Emissions Management when it was still on the price list, and you have not upgraded to EHSM:EC, you do not have the right to use waste management.
  2. In 2010, SAP released the first component extension for SAP EHS Management, which was a new solution based on new architecture (and ABAP Webdynpro). The 4.0 release was released to customers July 2013, so there have been 4 releases in 4 years. The component extension contains some applications that are not included in the old EH&S legacy license and require upgrading to the EHS Management. Parts of the legacy solutions were often criticized as being only a "transactional system of record" and not supporting of a collaborative and holistic solution for managing EHS. The new applications were well researched with customers and reflect best practices. A few customers have started down the path of trying to do their own development from ABAP to ABAP Webdynpro, but most have realized that it would be more effective to use the new solution. Even if it requires a license upgrade, the savings in faster implementation usually more than makes up for it. Because it uses a new data model, there is a lot different about it, and heavy users of the old functionality need to carefully consider their path to implementing the new applications. IMHO the new data model is significantly better and well worth the upgrade efforts. It will quite simply just do more and help your organization be far more effective at managing health and safety.
  3. There are also new solutions that have had their own material code from the beginning, such as SAP Management of Change, the SAP EHS Regulatory Content and SAP EHS Regulatory Documentation set of solutions, as well as things like Product Stewardship Network. The family of EHS related solutions has grown quite a lot since 2010.

We usually start with trying to understand what a customer already owns, what they have actually implemented, and what pain points they are interested in resolving. Then, we can figure out the best path forward. Always check your purchase contracts to see if there were any restrictions, exceptions or other changes made from the standard license.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mary

thanks for your remarks. Regarding license maybe the picture is now "clearer" for community.

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Balajee,

On the side of IHS and OH , those modules has been on HR for ever, you would need: PA-(PA,OM, PT), CA-(BU, DMS, CL-CH)