Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do fresher's get job after doing SAP Certification course ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know whether companies hire freshers who have done SAP Course.

Im Shathyan from Bangalore, who has completed B.E in Computer Science in 2011 and had 1 year gap in searching for job. And then I started to do MBA and now I'm in my final year. Im doing my MBA in Marketing and HR.

Now, I would like to do SAP Course especially in BI, if not in HCM or SD or Basic depending on the job market.

I would appreciate if you can guide me through is it worth doing a course because I have seen many post online where people are telling, Freshers don't job in SAP even also even after doing Certification from SAP Certified centres.

Also read, some people suggesting to go on with FAKE experience certificate. Anyway its not my thought nor a goo way to start my life.

So please do suggest me, is it worth to do being a fresher and also whether it is good to do from SAP Certified centre or normal centres at cheap price. I do understand that SAP Certified institutes cost more, but finally its all about placement who can do better.

Thanks for your support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shathyan,

I am Madalina from Romania, eastern Europe 🙂 and I am glad to say that I am a fresher within SAP Fi-Co module and I have recently been employed.

I will describe a little bit my experiences as an individual case struggling the same questions and fears as expressed above. I will conclude regarding my SAP Financial Certification.

My background: mathematics-information highschool; college: foreign languages as translator-interpreter.

Work domain: some technical support job during college and afterwards I worked within the financial department in a multinational corporation - so here the SAP-get-to-know started. I had the chance to access SAP, mostly on the AR side and very little on the SD at the previous job as a user and later as key user.

As the courses provided by SAP were too expensive for me, I started learning by myself step by step with a thirst of knowledge because there was sooo much information.

I have oriented towards a SAP certification that served my area of knowledge- SAP Financial in this case and started to really prepare reading + taking tests online according to the exam Curriculum on the SAP Training website. This was very important as it helped me gain a lot of knowledge and go even beyond the curricula in order to have a wider, bigger picture overall and on the module of interest. There are books on Amazon + also free-of-charge online tests that are a real support on helping fixing the information and youtube presentations are very useful too.

After an approx. 2-2,5y of experience as an end user and reading all from the curriculum as mentioned in the past few months, i have  took the SAP Financial certification.

This was possible through lots of readings, tests, taking serious the certification curricula.

The job came after aprox. 8 months and a few interviews as the market is not that active and the projects not that many. I think this is applicable for many countries. Check the recruiting websites periodically in order to have an idea regarding the jobs market on SAP.

The 'fake' certification mentioned above is for me a nightmare, I cannot imagine someone doing this... This is of real support; it is better to learn much and go interviewing without a certification, but being honest, confident and well prepared. This can be easily be checked if anyone has doubts - as one received an SAP id for testing and a diploma.

From the user experience was easier to start learning into depth, so I would recommend this before paying lots of money for just a few days of courses.

I hope this would be of help.

Best wishes and keep up the good work!

Madalina

44 REPLIES 44

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great, you have done some research before posting your query..

I have seen many post online where people are telling, Freshers don't job in SAP even also even after doing Certification from SAP Certified centers.

Yeah, this is very true.. But not true for everyone, i want to to be exception.

Going for fake experience is not a good idea..

As you already know after doing Certification also, there is no job surety but it helps to make some difference from non certified people, After certification you will be most preferable candidate as compare to non certified.. 

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Dear Shubam sharma--Pl dont  put your posts in others thread..Raise a separate thread if needed..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

I would suggest you better define a goal.. Where exactly you would like to land after doing MBA....(HR or Marketing)....

After defining your objective as per your interest... try to get a job under that function (HR or Mktg..) first ..Understand the function, system,,,,,& gather some domain experience.

There are lot of MNC's where SAP is already implemented.. you may get opportunity as an end user... as well.... This may open a door to understand the function from SAP point of view...

& Finally at that stage would give you a proper answer whether to excel in SAP Domain or not...

My suggestion is to get a Job (SAP or Non SAP) first & secure yourself & finally think of getting into SAP...

Regards,

Veeram

0 Kudos

Hi Veeram,

I have recently completed my SAP HR Training, Could you please let me know if there are jobs for freshers in India available and in future if there is any scope in SAP HR in India or Abroad?

Really appreciate your help!

Thanks

Ritesh

0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

Yes SAP HR has a good scope in india...If you acquire some international payroll skills.. chances for going abroad is again good....

Regarding Opening for Freshers :- It would be tough to get a job as a fresher in SAP.....It not about SAP HR but also in other modules...... But It is not impossible to get.....

All you need is:- 

Good Configuration Skills,

Good Understanding of HR Domain,,,

Confidence.. Ability to learn & excel.....

Good Professional Network,,,,,

& at times Bit of LUCK..

Suggestion:-

First Secure yourself by attaining some job in MNC's or any company ...

So that there would be some source of income for you.... & simultaneously keep on updating your Skills in SAP & practice more....

If you a job as an end user in SAP don't hesitate just take it.. this will open a door to SAP world...

Regards,

Veeram

0 Kudos

Thank you so much Veeram

Ritesh

0 Kudos

Hi Veeram Reddy,

I'm B.E fresher and done SAP BW/BI course and looking job on it. AND from your last Comment Please Tell me about END USER JOBS....because I also done want to start my career with fake experience...Please reply

Mention, What type of jobs in END USER?     plz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Shathyan,

I understand your query. SAP is an Hot field. Sure you can enter in to SAP by means of proper procedure, selecting proper course according to your qualification and experience.If you have any query you can follow me and send direct message to me

Regards

varghese

former_member182489
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Its all depends on you .

Please reach out SAP authorized institutions and get an over view .

Freshers are always in demand . Its a fact. Butyou need to be noticed for that opportunity.

Work hard, Improve your skill, focus on one specific area .

Look out only fr that oppurtunity only.

Dont put your portfolio MBA logic to it  .

All the best

regards

manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja as you said

I do understand that SAP Certified institutes cost more, but finally its all about placement who can do better.

SAP Certification will not guarantee a job .It is common misconception. I would like to direct you the following blogs before enroll any sap certification.

Now, I would like to do SAP Course especially in BI, if not in HCM or SD or Basic depending on the job market.

Raja do not join any sap course depending on the today job market.Tomorrow we will have another. Love what you do .

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For SAP fresher's its very hard to get new job. Because all clients/mnc will recruit the consultants who had experienced. its true one.But when you want be sap consultant then you need to face this phase.

There are some companies taking fresher's who  are certified.

as you will be mba fresher, in that case if need you can learn suitable sap module and try to get job in campus selections. in that way you can utilize your learned course and recruited company may gave you chance to work on sap projects.

But learn the course as per your interest,increase your sap knowledge thru scn and keep searching.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have just done my training in SAP ABAP and not the certification and I'm looking for work now. I think there are 100s of mid size firms who will give you an interview chance and then you have to just hit it there.

I've seen many job postings which mention certification only as an preference but not as an mandatory requirement to apply so there. . you just need to be good at it. Rest will follow.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi veeram,

i have almost 1.5 yrs of exp into technical recruitment.i am planning to do sap hcm  next year but this exp what i have into technical recruitment would be fruitful.& how much it gonna be helpful for me after compeleting my course.

regards,

Bharat

former_member202782
Participant
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well maybe my experience can help. I am not certified and managed to get myself employed!!! Shock, horror according to some. After speaking with people, what made me stand out from the rest, and that included better qualified, certified people, was my passion for the job.

I love what I do and look forward to doing my job everyday, now don't get me wrong, I have bad days, frustrating days and all other types of days other than good days but it's your passion for doing the job that makes you come back for more, learn and put in the hours required to be of value to your employer, and that is what every employer wants. An employee who is of value to the company.

Another mistake I have seen made is people think certification makes them consultant material, not so. It gives your employer a good marker for your technical knowledge, but being a good consultant is so much more and again this is where I think your passion, which also translates to dedication will make you stand out from the crowd.

Remember no matter your stating position, if you show the passion and have the drive, the sky is the limit as your passion for SAP will drive to excel and be noticed and most importantly, not go to work just to earn money, but work on something you have passion for and look forward to doing everyday. All the other benefits will come with time

0 Kudos

Hi Brendon

You make quite a few valid points. I was also fortunate to obtain employment in SAP field without certification and minimal training. I had completed a few subjects at university. Though, I was lucky that I started SAP during the boom when companies everywhere were crying out for the skills and it was still niche.

However, where the struggle to get you start in SAP may come down to your market you find yourself in. This can be a combination of geographical location, what you study and what the market is like at the time of hiring. In some countries, it is a challenge as an unexperienced hire - newbie, beginner, fresher, graduate - whatever name to describe. From my time on SCN, I observe that India is one of those countries. It has built a massive SAP outsourcing industry and the competition over there is fierce. I do not believe it's lack of enthusiasm as the reason for many of the job seekers unable to obtain employment based on their participation

The key thing, like any beginner out there is you need to find a way to market yourself and seek out the opportunities.

Regards

Colleen

Ps - 100% agree that certification <> good consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colleen,

Agreed, the competition is fierce and the number of applicants vs positions I think if truly understood is daunting! I agree that finding a way to market yourself and seek the opportunities that are out there is something that if you are starting out, has to be done proactively.

Also don't think because you want to be a consultant, that is the job spec you have to chase. I have many good consultants that have come from a support background. I certainly limited myself when looking for my first role by saying this is what I want to be and this will only do.... Everybody has to start somewhere and every marathon starts with a first step.

SAP like all other IT platforms that have enjoyed large growth over the years is seen as a cash cow, which generates people who chase the job for just that, the good money on offer if you crack it and I understand what you say Colleen, it's not the lack of passion that is the issue, but it's the passion that will make you apply for the next job and the next and the next, until you finally get that half a chance.

Kind regards,

Brendon

0 Kudos

Good discussion between Brendon and Colleen!

From my time on SCN, I observe that India is one of those countries. It has built a massive SAP outsourcing industry and the competition over there is fierce. I do not believe it's lack of enthusiasm as the reason for many of the job seekers unable to obtain employment based on their participation

The key thing, like any beginner out there is you need to find a way to market yourself and seek out the opportunities.

Colleen,

As you say, where the competition is fierce...the enthusiasm level should also be "unreasonably" high for standing out of the crowd.

Enthusiasm has to manifest in understanding of your module in a more mature way, even though you are less / not experienced.

TW

0 Kudos

Hi TW

Good to hear from you.

Yes, you need to find creative ways to differentiate yourself in the marketplace. Everyone is going to have the same "fresher" level qualifications of good grades and training, etc. Part it may also be your domain knowledge supporting your SAP training so you can demonstrate you are worthy of a job opportunity.

It's a challenge and this space has really opened me eyes to some of the hiring practices out there. Next time I'm building up a team I'm going to be a lot more conscientious of what a junior goes through to get their foot in the door.

Regards

Colleen

0 Kudos

Colleen,

Excellent and motivating lines! Thanks!

Next time I'm building up a team I'm going to be a lot more conscientious of what a junior goes through to get their foot in the door.

In my team, I am ok with some one not knowing...but more important is his / her attitude, perseverance, tenacity to get the work done...learning ability - not to do the same mistakes over and over again.

I try to pursue these qualities myself too.

Typewriter

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Doing SAP Certification is a good option considering the fact that you are still a student.  But since you are already studying MBA Marketing, I would recommend you to do SAP SD instead of HR or BI for which, the market demand is very minimal compared to SD.  Also if you have some one or two years domain experience in Marketing, that would be an added advantage.  From certification point of view, if you opt for SD, then you need to have one year (not sure what is the current pre-requisite) domain experience which is a MUST.

Coming to your query on chance of entry into a firm as a SAP consultant, I won't say it is not possible for freshers to get an entry but yes it is difficult.  There are few companies recruiting SAP freshers, give basic training related to project you would be put into, and assign to that project after completion of this basic training.  But for this, you should be ready to give an undertaking for one or two years with that employer.  Also, your initial perks would be very low.  No doubt, you can compensate this once you gain experience in SAP.  The most important point is you need to spend atleast 4-5 hours daily to practice in SAP at basic level.  So you need to take a call whether to choose SAP or not

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry i chanced upon this only yesterday. please see my blog/post on scn

in a  single sentence.. in India dont waste your money on an SAP certification .. there is no , absolutely no  job guarantee.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shathyan,

I am Madalina from Romania, eastern Europe 🙂 and I am glad to say that I am a fresher within SAP Fi-Co module and I have recently been employed.

I will describe a little bit my experiences as an individual case struggling the same questions and fears as expressed above. I will conclude regarding my SAP Financial Certification.

My background: mathematics-information highschool; college: foreign languages as translator-interpreter.

Work domain: some technical support job during college and afterwards I worked within the financial department in a multinational corporation - so here the SAP-get-to-know started. I had the chance to access SAP, mostly on the AR side and very little on the SD at the previous job as a user and later as key user.

As the courses provided by SAP were too expensive for me, I started learning by myself step by step with a thirst of knowledge because there was sooo much information.

I have oriented towards a SAP certification that served my area of knowledge- SAP Financial in this case and started to really prepare reading + taking tests online according to the exam Curriculum on the SAP Training website. This was very important as it helped me gain a lot of knowledge and go even beyond the curricula in order to have a wider, bigger picture overall and on the module of interest. There are books on Amazon + also free-of-charge online tests that are a real support on helping fixing the information and youtube presentations are very useful too.

After an approx. 2-2,5y of experience as an end user and reading all from the curriculum as mentioned in the past few months, i have  took the SAP Financial certification.

This was possible through lots of readings, tests, taking serious the certification curricula.

The job came after aprox. 8 months and a few interviews as the market is not that active and the projects not that many. I think this is applicable for many countries. Check the recruiting websites periodically in order to have an idea regarding the jobs market on SAP.

The 'fake' certification mentioned above is for me a nightmare, I cannot imagine someone doing this... This is of real support; it is better to learn much and go interviewing without a certification, but being honest, confident and well prepared. This can be easily be checked if anyone has doubts - as one received an SAP id for testing and a diploma.

From the user experience was easier to start learning into depth, so I would recommend this before paying lots of money for just a few days of courses.

I hope this would be of help.

Best wishes and keep up the good work!

Madalina

Former Member
0 Kudos

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

Please do NOT use derogatory statements on SCN.

Monday morning during the hectic work schedule, I had to clean the mess you have created in each of the blog. You posted the same message at the end of the each blog. Who told you SAP Certification is job guarantee program. No company would offer a job, if you show this kind of derogatory attitude. Apologies for my explicit language. But, you need to understand, where you are doing wrong, rather than wasting your valuable time like this. Please note knowledge learned can never be wasted, if not today, you are going to use it tomorrow. This is not the way to show out your frustration on professional forums like this. All the employers are watching this. Please beware of that.

Keep patience and have perseverance.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

no there are no jobs after certification. dont waste your time / money / energy doing Certification.

SCN,

I observed the community (moderators, members) coming down heavily on this member who has voiced his opinion, as a reply to the OP's question.Why?

It might be unnuanced and so some extent incorrect, but it is not wrong or breaking the ROE. is it? We all know that certification per se has very very little value in job search. And that is what KK is saying, in a way. Let us face it certification is a money making scheme by SAP and its partners...You cannot learn SAP in 4 weeks, it requires 5 to 7 years of good quality hands on work to understand and provide value to customers/clients.

Career forum is where we give our opinion, there are no "correct answers" unlike in technical chat rooms for example in SAP SD, if you don't assign output procedure to billing type, then you can not trigger an output type for that billing document. It is definitive, it is not an opinion but this is not the case in Career forum.

If SCN cannot be a place where distasteful but true opinions can be voiced, then it is very sad. With diverse views and inputs, a society matures...here I see everyone "teaming" against KK and others who would like to give (in future) their candid and not so "rosy" picture about SAP careers. Nothing in this world is all positive, there is both plus and minus in everything and SAP is no different.

Typewriter

0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for your support.

yes what i mean to say is exactly what you wrote & understood.

Truth is always bitter to understand & digest.

that's why everyone is opposing on my comments than really thinking on it & replying.

anyway i had set my points, the one who want to understand  will be surely benefited

after reading comments & BLOG & WILL THINK BEFORE GOING FOR CERTIFICATION.

0 Kudos

TW Typewriter

who has voiced his opinion, as a reply to the OP's question.Why?

Because, any comments that conveys some negative meaning against SAP or SCN cannot be encouraged here and the Space Moderators have every right to caution the member.   No doubt, one can express their views openly but should not cross the border

but it is not wrong or breaking the ROE

It is not that breaking RoE but SCN being a global forum, one must have self discipline and should not set as a bad example

You cannot learn SAP in 4 weeks, 

From certification point of view, definitely, 4 weeks is enough but that 4 weeks, you should put in all your efforts and spend more time to go through the related books multiple times. 

it requires 5 to 7 years of good quality hands on work to understand and provide value to customers/clients.

I feel, you got confused between doing certification and provide value add to clients.  Certification is just to break the ice during your initial career to get a job.

Giving quality suggestions or providing value add will only come when you gain experience.  Can you tell me other than SAP, any other technology Certification is giving this ?

We all know that certification per se has very very little value in job search

Might be according to you but the fact is there were instances where I came across many firms who give due importance to consultants who posses certification.  This is due to the fact that their clients insists on this. 

If SCN cannot be a place where distasteful but true opinions can be voiced, then it is very sad.

As I already stated, you can express your views and at the same time, you should also ensure that it reflects only your views and you cannot force or advice others to follow.  If you don't get it what I am trying to convey, just go through the texts which you have highlighted (don't waste your time / money / energy doing Certification.)

G. Lakshmipathi

0 Kudos

you should also ensure that it reflects only your views and you cannot force or advice others to follow.

WAIT A MINUTE '' who is forcing or advising ANYBODY & why you feel so ???

Yes its purely my opinion or views, but it will definitely help others or make aware, who are planing or thinking to pursue career in SAP by investing Lac's of Rupees in doing CERTIFICATION -

"THOSE MUST GET THE REAL PICTURE TO KNOW"

ITS DUTY OF MOVIE MAKERS TO KEEP MAKING MOVIES & ITS COMPLETELY DEPENDENT ON AUDIENCES OF LIKING IT, I DIDN'T LIKED IT SO I SHARED & BY READING COMMENTS / BLOG'S IF ONE SAVES HIS LAC'S OF RUPEES IT WILL BE WORTH WRITING THE TRUE FACTS.

phanikumar_v3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kulkarni

I never saw such harsh words from respected Ravi shankar venna on any member..

It is like father suggesting his kids on Values & Attitudes--You have to take like that...

Always we ourselves will get frustration when we are in Right track(as we feel)--but here we are missing a very important lesson  ""what Time is teaching us..

(requesting you to replace your frustration with THINKING--whenever you feel frustrated-- just count some numbers in yourself- it may reduce your anger to some extent)

Also-Never loose your temper that to on such forums like SCN.

here i request Mr Ravi shankar on understanding the frustration of my fellow member & Excuse us..

Yes-- I also feels that, may be there are less number of opportunities now even for certified--Because now the quality of certified consultants has drastically came down..(Sorry here--if i hurt somebody)

Whenever i feel on certification--I look at the legends of SD in SCN--Most of them are not certified(But they are helping thousands of certified people with their threads)

So what we have to understand here is--Only Knowledge will give you the right place.

Also let me discuss further on this  word KNOWLEDGE.

In our books we studied that KNOWLEDGE IS POWER-

Very interestingly i studied some where that """KNOWLEDGE IS NOT POWER--WHEN IT IS USED THEN ONLY WILL BE CONVERTED IT'S FORM TO POWER"""

So Participate more in discussions..Why job will not come?? Let us see..

Note: here we should never miss the word of MARKET YOURSELF in sites like LinkedIn, Glass door ,Even Face book  with respective forums etc...

Phanikumar

0 Kudos

Thanks Phani for your kind words.

When I passed my Certification in way 2003 I had to wait to break into consulting for more than 3 months. Now, everybody has taken the route of SAP Certification as a means of Job, then thousands of Certified Consultants are piled up in the market. SAP has not promised that SAP Certification is a job guarantee program. If any of the ATC says this then the candidates need to bring this to the attention of SAP.

Please note SAP Certification is program and it gives adequate knowledge. There are many reasons to get the jobs, supply-demand, business process knowledge, soft skills, implementation experience, cultural fit etc.

We cannot simply blame the Certification for not getting the job. Need to look ourselves and try to improve if anything is missing. Not getting job / failing is not end of the world. Still there is a bigger opportunity waiting for us.

Please keep trying, I am sure success awaits you.

All the best.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Everything sounds & tastes good when the basket is full.

SAP Training Quality - 

TRAINING IS NOT AT PAR WITH INDUSTRY REQUIREMENT.

COZ OF WHICH IT BECOMES VERY VERY TUFF TO BREAK INTO SAP MARKET.

THE TRAINING QUALITY MUST BE IMPROVED TO JUSTIFY THE TRAINING FEES OR

TRAINING FEES MUST BE REDUCED TO MATCH WITH QUALITY OF TRAINING.

As mentioned by RAVI if one has experience in SAP why should one need to do certification at all that is what real scenario in Indian Markets, less than 7-8 % are certified out of 1000 & Not 100 WHO ARE WORKING IN sap.

MORE THAN NOT GETTING A JOB IN SAP, IS THE MONEY CONCERN FOR THE INVESTORS INTO SAP.

0 Kudos

Hey there

I am looking forward to do sap in SD module, however bit confused, as for doing Sap in SD do one need m.com qualification mandatory. As recently enquired about sap in SD from atos institution in mumbai, they inform I can do sap without m.com qualification. However on there website it is given one need m.com qualification to go ahead with the course.

I have done my graduation and currently working in wipro bpo/ call center. Kindly reply as to what can I do.

Thank you

Awaits reply

Mohsin

0 Kudos

Mr.Khan,

Mcom is related to SD. SD is sales and distribution, I hope there is no mandatory degree been fixed for SAP certification. But domain experience / knowledge wil be added to any ER software. What is ur qualification and experience? based on the qualification and experience the module you select would be easy to learn.

Former Member
0 Kudos