cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Book Publication in EPM excel add-in

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am working on BPC 10 MS version.  I would like to use the “Book Publication” function in excel EPM add-in to publish the excel report in PDF format. I am able to create the book template and select different dimension members for the report. Also, it can convert the excel report into PDF format successfully. However, I got 2 questions about this function.

1.      I found that the report format in PDF is different from the format in Excel. For example, “REPORT A” has 10 columns(A-J) and 20 rows in a excel tab, but after converted the “REPORT A” into PDF format, it could only show the first two or three columns(A-C) on one page, and remaining columns(D-J) on other pages. How can I set the scaling of the report to be published with all columns and rows on one page in PDF?

2.       I found that there is an error when generating the PDF if I keep opening the excel report which is going to be published. Is it a must to close the excel report when publishing the report?

Thanks!

Regards,
Ivan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ivan,

on the first question, in your Excel report, have you defined a print range and set the print options (such as fit to one page etc)?

BR,

Arnold

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnold,

Your suggestion for question 1 works! Thanks for helping!

But the problem mentioned in question 2 still exsist. I still have to close all the excel file first and then run the book publication in order to avoid the error.

For example, Im going to publish REPORT A in PDF format, I have to close the Report A first and then publish Report A via Book Publication in order to avoid the error below. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Regards,

Ivan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ivan,

are you saving your reports as xlsx files? Try to save them as xltx (template).

BR,
Arnold

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnold,

The second question seems solved after saving the report as .xltx instead of .xlsx. Is it meaning that I have to save the input forms or reports as .xltx every time before publishing them in PDF format?

Regards,

Ivan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ivan,

this is an Excel and not a BPC issue. When you have any xlsx file open and another use tries to open the file as well, they get a message from Excel asking whether they still want to open it or wait until you have closed it.

When you have a report in xlsx format open and try to publish it, essentially the same thing happens, only it is BPC that (technically) gets asked the question. As BPC cannot answer it cannot open the file and the publish fails.

An Excel template however can be opened numerous times as Excel always opens a fresh copy.

I am not aware of any way around this, so if you want to have the report open and publish it at the same time, then I believe you will have to use the xltx format for all reports/input schedules.

BR,
Arnold

0 Kudos

Hi Arnold

You answer helped me too but I am still facing a problem. My report contain comments. All the comments are visible while I am loged in to excel EPM, but as I publish that report in PDF all the comments cells are shown blank.

Please let me know the solution to this.

Regards

Sohaib

marijnbax2
Participant
0 Kudos

We are facing the same problem. "Error while saving file". All of our reports are XLTX. Even though we get the error it still seems that the publication works if we put only a number of reports in.

However when we put all of our reports in ( 30 ) it gets stuck after 20 reports.

SAP have advised us that this is due to memory errors as we are still working on 32 bit machines but I can't believe that we are the only ones.

They have also advise to install Amyuni PDF printer but this did not solve the problem either.

Any suggestions what we could do?

Marijn

JohnL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Marijn,

Its better to create a new forum question for this.

Also, there was a fix in SP25 Patch 1 for distribution ...

2289350 - ALL: Error Message during the distribution

Thanks,

navip
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marjin,

Am facing an issue with Book Publishing.

Am able to run the Book Publication Wizard log succesfully and able to save the pdf to my desktop folder.

When i open the pdf, data is not displayed. Can you please let me know where am i going wrong??

0 Kudos

Is the referenced report saved in the Reports folder or in the Book or PDBooks folder? I found if I save the .xltx file in the Book or PDBooks folder the first page of the .pdf loses the formatting so relocating the base file may help your situation.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

We were having the same issue and resolved it by following Arnold's advice to change the Excel file to xltx and also applied the recommendation in SAP Note 2110299 (All: PDF Publication Cannot Skip Amyuni.) Per the SAP note, we changed the EPM10 config file which looks for the Amyuni software to just skip using Amyuni since Office 2013 can create its own PDF files.

We first noticed there was a problem after we upgraded to Office 2013 from Office 2010. The process would fail and we would receive the same error as Ivan did which read:  "Error while saving the file" and the pop-up below "Printer not activated, error code - 30"

Former Member
0 Kudos

What will cause the book publication not to reference the Context when it is specified in the template? %CUR%.

For example: The book is running for ALL when the context is selected for a specific member.

Thanks