cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a characteristic invalid / or delimit in a class in SAP EHS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

I would like to know how to make characteristics invalid / how to delimit the characteristics so that they no longer appear in the transaction.

I tried to delete the characteristics, however, it wont allow me to delete them due to assignments.

Thanking you in advance for your time and assistance in helping me resolve my request.

With Kind Regards

Miss Nash Govender

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Nash,

as Christoph pointed out, in almost all cases it's not a good idea to delete a class or characteristic. If you don't want users to use it anymore, delete it from the table-based value assignments. It is then not visible anymore in any property tree, yet already maintained data are not lost.

Ralph

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Nash

the option mentioned by Ralph is only a "workaorund". If you use output variant (E.G. EXCEL, VALUATION etc.), rule sets, ALE, ..... then  the data is stil there and will be displayed; but the characteristic is not shown in CG02; this is a topic of "questions" of end users to support.

Therefore: classes / characteristic are "master data" objects; but in context of EHS they are equivalent to customizing entries and should not be changed etc.

C.B.

PS: may be check: http://scn.sap.com/thread/2135535

former_member212503
Participant
0 Kudos

To All ,

How about hiding those char in one property tree and displaying in another one ? Can we do that ?

Ralph_P
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

For one single characteristic that doesn't work, but you can remove the whole class from the property tree and yet have it in another one,

Ralph

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Krishna

no idea why you would like to hide data.  As explained by Ralph: Cg02/CBg02BD is "class/Value assignment type" oriented. If you have one class with many characteristics and you have defined value assignment type you can only display the "Whole" class

Never ever have seen similar demand in past

C.B.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JuanCarlosDelga
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nash,

If you want that a characteristic don't appear when you are enter the values of a property, go to

'Set Up Table-Based Value Assignment' and in the subactivity 'Set Up Table-Based Value Assignment'

Here you can make a characteristic non-editable, and if you delete an entry the characteristic is hidden.

It is not necessary to delete the characteristic from its class.

Regards

JCD

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Juan

yes you can do this; But if there is data then by using output variant (or WWI report or...) you will see the data. Especially for SAP characteristics I can not recommand to do it.

C.B.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Nash

I assume we talk about a class in EHS Product Safety. If we talk about a SAP standard class you should never "remove" any characteristic from this class; if we talk about a customer class and there is data maintained in the history/past: you should not remove it (yes there are options to delete the data burt it ois not recommended to do so). If you have are using an ALE scenario: never ever remoce the characteristic; if it is used as part of WWI report or rule sets: the same.

Why do you would like to "remove" the characteristic?

C.B.

PS: Refer to online help for further detaisl about "classes etc.". E.G.

Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) - SAP Library

and then use link to: Classification System (CA-CL)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph

We wanted to "remove" those characteristics so that users will no longer be able see and use it.

However, after investigating further, I see its difficult to "remove" the characteristics without losing the history.

Thanks to you and everybody for assisting with my request. I will read through the links and research further.

Many thanks,

Regards

Nash