cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Following many people in SCN community is wrong?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SCN Members,

Following many people in SCN community is wrong? I don't think so

• I am following 16,786 members.
  • My followers 2000 members

I don't want any points or badges for following people.

My slogan is always "More people ! More connection ! More knowledge ! More sharing !

Nothing wrong in that. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, there is no limit as such, you can follow N no. of people but we should take care of one thing, So many people really gonna help us to improve our knowledge, We have given facility of following people so we can see those in our "Following  Activity", but when we are following over 16000+ people then "All Activity" and "Following  Activity" will be somehow same.

My slogan is always "More people ! More connection ! More knowledge ! More sharing !

yeah, this is very correct but, the people we are following should be active at-least.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

As mentioned by Thomas, I am doubt that 80 percent members are bogus screen name. I don't agree to that. Bogus screen cannot involve in discussion and comments. There is no automated tool in SCN to reply back and all. Some people that I am following may be short term SCN users that cannot be filtered easily. Whoever is listed in SCN member list, I can check and follow them. If you know many people in the community I don't think its wrong. Its completely wrong and some people are not ready to follow them. If you people spend some time with them then you will understand. If I am following many people and they are not following me. Thats different story. We cannot compel them to follow us. I always follow many people in our community, they may be junior or senior or SAP head. In my eye sight everyone is equal to me. I will not see or differentiate the people with the position. I always categorize people with the attitude. Anyway thank you so much for your valuable feedback. It helps me to share with many SCN members in future. All the best

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear, my feedback is very much different from your reply... You can use the 'All Activity' tab, so you can see everything which is going on SCN...

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

I would say one thing only. There is no point in following the people which do not follow themselves. Your intention is very pure and straight. And that's the best way to connect with people.

But they should also be connected to SCN, atleast. My opinion !!

ntn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

In the running IT world, there are many websites, many community, many projects, many issues in company as well as in house. Atleast they are trying to contribute something to the community. We cannot force each and every one from the IT industry to join our community. This is self interest and if they know the value of SAP. Definitely they will continue and contribute to our community. Thats all.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

That's exactly I meant to say. People who contribute can be followed. I said about those who never contributed.

Following people is good, but following user ids is not worth. I hope you understand.

ntn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Every SCN member is having user ID. Using the User ID only we can follow. There are more people joined in SCN daily. Before following one people if I go through his history. one person it will take one week to complete the process before I click the following button. We cannot categorized easily and faster. If you follow them only, they will understand some one is following them. They will think some one is wait for us to share something. I believe this help our community healthy and good.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Indeed a nice thought. My referring to ID term meant only inactive people. Nothing else.

You are doing good Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Some people may accept my view and some they don't. If no one talks about this issue, one should definitely raise this issue, that's why I raised it. If you are not raising this question in our community then this is not the live community. I was thinking for long time to discuss with all our SCN members. At-least after seeing this comments they will try to follow some people. If they started following some people. I will be the happiest person in this SCN community. If you see some people profile I can see only 3 or 4 people they are following. I feel very bad about this. If you are not following at-least 50 members then you aren't interacting with many people. At least try to follow some good people. All the best to each and every one who is going to start following others.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, if those 50+ people give me nothing content-wise or are active in areas, that don't relate to me, why should I follow them?

I follow people, who have somewhere and somehow sparked my interest in their content and I want to stay up-to-date on their contributions. I think, that's the right way around (at least for me and I guess for most of the people I follow).

You kind of do it the other way around, it seems. You follow people and wait for them to contribute, not knowing if they can add to your knowledge or not.

I don't think it motivates people to create content or help others just by following them. If they want to help, they will, no matter how many people activtly look at their content.

But like I said: it's the intention, that's important, not the number. If you like your Activity feed to overflow with information, it's your choice. ^^ Personally I would find that hard to keep up with. I'm already behind on the content I'm actually following.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

Each & Every one is having different opinion, interest, like and wish etc. You can become me and I cannot become you. Each one have one specialty and I believe in network and educate people through more connections. You believe only selective people that's your interest. I cannot change my attitude for you and you cannot change your attitude for me. If you think, whatever I am conveying to you is right, they you can follow the people whoever is motivating others, enthusiastic people, technical guys, helping nature people, sharing new ideas peoples and so on..... Each one have separate specialty that you should understand and agree to me.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was not expecting to change your style of using the follow-feature. ^^ You asked for opinions and I stated mine as well as my look on how to use this option.

I, too, believe in learning through connections and networking, but I'm pretty much egoistic in the approach of mainly following the people, who can teach something to me (and I'm not just talking about technical stuff). If - in my areas - I can help others, too, yay for me and them. But for that I'm following "my" spaces and not the newcomers, who ask questions in those areas.

Yes, we have different views on this, but that's just life for you. Discussions would be pretty boring (and short), if everybody just saw everything the same way.

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You always have different interests and opinions. If I am right, I still remember you simply pasting your datageek/BIF blog links in unrelated discussions without a specific reason. SCN is a professional community and we should maintain the quality. I am assuming that you are doing these because of lack of understanding on how to use SCN and not for points or popularity.

- Midhun VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mithun,

In the beginning, every dont know what is happening in other community. Human make mistakes and you have also done that earlier. Updating and learning new things are always good. Think always different then you can learn many things. If you keep quite and dont speak. You will not know anything in this world. I posted this question to keep SCN clean and successful. I agree and support always for SCN developement. Hope you understand that!

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Answers (29)

Answers (29)

former_member42743
Active Contributor

Bottom line:  Following 16,000 + people is just wrong and unethical.  Whether or not it's an actual violation or not is beside the point.  It is impossible for you to actually read and comprehend the amount of content posted by these 16,000+ people.  I have a hard time keeping up with the content/comments provided by a 1/2 dozen of the top contributors. (real contributors).

Making "Good blog" or ""Thank you" comments on every blog you see is wrong and unethical.  When you take these into account as a whole the intent is point gaming.   You must be one heck of a consultant to be able to read all those blogs and actually find the content useful.  Is there any SAP module you don't know? (Read those two sentences with LOTS of sarcasm please)

There really is no other way to view it.

As a Moderator I HATE that I have to follow people.  But if I send them a PM because I wanted to communicate to them about a discussion or posting I had to hide, delete, edit, move, I am required to follow them in order for them to PM back to me if they have any questions.

I would probably drop 85% of the people I'm following if I wasn't a mod.  My activity stream now is simply becoming noise.  I'm actually considering creating a separate account just so I can follow the people that are really important to me.

You asked the question.  Yes.. it is wrong.

Craig

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am required to follow them in order for them to PM back to me if they have any questions.

Not sure if I remember correctly, but as a moderator you can PM anybody, and that person can then reply to you even if you are not following him/her. They can just not initiate a new conversation later on.

Maybe this helps.

Thomas

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We should double check that.  I had that specific issue and was told I had to be following them in order for them to PM even if I PM'ed them.  Might be a distinction I wasn't aware of or maybe it came up when I moved something and didn't PM the OP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The OP may have been trying to send new DM instead of replying to your DM.

This calls for a new idea in idea place. DM to/from mods to be done without following/connecting.

It would clean up your activity feed, and channel the noise to communications stream, where DM and mentions can be filtered.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here you go: Direct Message to Moderators in SCN? : View Idea

^^ It's under review, but it can never hurt to promote it some more.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Upped. Thanks for pointing it out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I still maintain (with tinfoil on my head and the black helicopters circling my house) that Hari was a fake account, created by rogue SCN admin's who could see their funding being cut; they needed to get the message to the White House that SCN Moderation still needs investment; they'd tried all diplomatic and political approaches; they had to go black op's; there was no other method, other than to show the peace-loving public that SCN posts outside of the RoE are a clear and present danger.

Or have I been reading too many Tom Clancy novels?

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Probably, but that scenario is still awesome.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may be inclined towards those novels because a popular character's last name.

bruno_esperanca
Contributor
0 Kudos

RIP Tom Clancy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wanted to call our son Jack!

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nope, not crazy.  I still believe McAffee and Norton sponsor clandestine organizations that just invent new virus's and hacks.

Craig

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just like snopes spread urban legends.

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe in transparency. Its better to put the information "out there" rather than for people to weave conspiracy theories.

But that's just my opinion. 🙂

pk

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with you in that transparency is best.

But that's a call for SAP/SCN to make if they want to make that info public.  Its their website and they are legally responsible.   Not volunteer moderators with no connection to the owner of the web site.  Accusing people of plagiarism publicly can ruin a career and result in lawsuits.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

What you can be sure of is that the details of Hari's noise are plastered all over SCN already as evidence and SAP does not just guestify IDs because they are in the mood for it.

Some explanation was certainly in order and it is over now.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Craig S wrote:

I agree with you in that transparency is best.

But that's a call for SAP/SCN to make if they want to make that info public.  Its their website and they are legally responsible.   Not volunteer moderators with no connection to the owner of the web site.  Accusing people of plagiarism publicly can ruin a career and result in lawsuits.

Craig

I agree with your point.

I have too many counter arguments to make, but I'll leave it at that. I don't want to get too rant-y on a cold and gloomy Monday morning!

pk

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I must admit, I have been very curious as to why the gentleman's id was suddenly disabled, I could not help thinking that it was for his voracious posting habits, so , I, for one, am happy to know the actual reason for this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So Hari, my advice to you is to do what you think is right.

Be honest with yourself and consider why you followed all these people. Was it to listen to them? Seems odd given you are following so many people, many of whom are inactive.

Or was it to gain followers and reputation? Was it to get more people to watch your content? What was your intent?

Reputation is a very curious thing. Clearly, from the feedback in this thread, people have assigned poor reputation to you based on your behavior.

From your question, I don't believe you intended this. The interesting thing about communities is that your behavior can have unexpected impacts.

Hope this helps your thinking.

John

former_member183289
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Suseelan Hari,

As per my knowledge, we should not argue with how many but try to have active people only.(you have that control on Actions (to dismiss or follow)).

we all let's try to follow only active and full information profiles only.

Regards,

Siva kumar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, no. I once compared a points gamer to a clown and got into a lot of trouble for that because of human rights violations type of things (professional clowns would IMO be more offended though... ) and SCNs correctional services SLA of reaching out, hugging and mentioning the word "community" to people using sapquestions @ gmail.com addresses who dont answer DMs anyway.

Yeah! Cancel go-live and set up a conf-call with someone called "sapquestions" ...

We even have had some points4me @ gmail.com type addresses in the past... but this became a give-away which was too obvious so moderators cannot see the email addresses anymore (alternative would have been better user validation / authentication on SCN?).

-> the behaviour which the new platform encourages is a failure and ability of moderators to curb anti-social behaviour resulting from it is also a fail.

So... that is my rant for today. Thank you! Now I am going scateboarding.. 🙂

Cheers,

Julius

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To be fair, the member in question was "Ronald MacDonald".

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"So... that is my rant for today. Thank you! Now I am going scateboarding.. :-)"

Is that a worse version of water boarding?  Doing new hire interviewing? 

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

New hires must show tolerance for people with midlife crisis... 🙂

But scating and scootering is cool. Nice work / life balance sport for SAP development / consulting. I grew up in Africa where we had to improvise a lot (e.g. pretending to have a scateboard. or an API, or a piece of wood, etc). Now my boys have cool gear and scater parks available and I have do drive them there and wait for hours anyway while waiting for APIs....

So I started scating again.

It does not look very professional with real wheels and you fall a lot with all the consequences (that's me) but it is good fun which is hard to let go of once you get past the balancing hurdle. I can recommend it.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don't mention the "RajaBasis" series, will have a relapse..  🙂

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am eagerly waiting for your BIF with a cool photo taking by your kids showing you scating or trying to stand up again

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh yes please!

"Here I am... doing a heelflip. And here I am... holding my back." ^^

Former Member
0 Kudos

I passed the BIF request on to our cat Heidi already several months ago as she is better equipped with an independent view on the topic at hand. She has also seen some of the things which I have buried in the garden.

I will remind her that you are waiting.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

When did you last break a rib doing something new, huh? 

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Strangely enough despite my adventurous nature I have only broken one bone in my body yet and that was my right big toe. ^^

Did you really break a rib when learning skateboarding?! oO Autsch...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I broke a rib doing a double brei-flip in a 6 meter halfpipe last week babe...

Impressed?

6 months ago I broke my arm doing a bunny hop off a 3 meter quarter pipe onto the neighbouring fence.

Scate twice a year and spend the other 10 months playing chess in a caste... 😉

But that is still better than clicking 17k times into the blue...

Cheers,

Julius

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would have been more impressed if you hadn't missed your target.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will try to improve myself. Heidi might report on progress... 🙂

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Cat News! Great.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Julius Ohhh you meant sKating!....

And who mentioned Raja??...

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I thought he meant jazz.

bruno_esperanca
Contributor
0 Kudos

What, like the Scat man? LOL!

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Suseelan,

I follow two types of members,

1. who participate in multiple forums - this gives an interesting diversity in my activity page; for fun. E.g. following brought me here.

2. who are SD subject matter experts - this is for learning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fun fact.

That is a group effort.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Earlier mentioned...

Please refer reply no. 85

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is different. The 251 likes is sum total of all likes earned by people participated in this discussion.

It does not mean that OP earned 502 points by opening this discussion.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

This post will have 99 replies after my reply.

Pretty soon the hierarchical list will turn into sequential list because of Jive layout limits.

Here is a Like scorecard solely based on this discussion.

ParticipantTotal Likes
Gareth Ryan24
Thomas Zloch22
Midhun VP20
Julius von dem Bussche19
Steve Rumsby17
Jürgen L15
Steffi Warnecke14
mr. PPIO8
Astrid Gambill7
Bruno Esperanca7
Craig S7
Manish Kumar6
Nitin Jinagal6
Suseelan Hari6
Suman Chakravarthy K5
Anshu Lilhori4
Chandra Agarwal4
kishan P4
Michael Howles4
Jelena Perfiljeva3
Avirat Patel2
Benedict Vasanth2
Callahan Hari2
manu m2
Vivek Singh Bhoj2
chetan dalvi1
Frederik Pena1
k j1
Nick Loy1
' MoazzaM '0
Dëv Päträ0
TW Typewriter0

//

OP has got 11 1-star ratings. I am not deducting anything for that.

P.S.: No, I am not on bench.

P.P.S.:No, this is not my entry for Data Geek competition.

EDIT: Following my reply, hierarchy of posts is gone, and now we have multi-page layout. 99 replies might be a hardcoded value.

anshu_lilhori
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No.of replies entry column would have given the clearer picture..

Former Member
0 Kudos

That table can't be edited because of your reply. So here is updated tally.

ParticipantsLikesReplies
Gareth Ryan242
Thomas Zloch223
Midhun VP203
Julius von dem Bussche196
Steve Rumsby172
Jürgen L151
Steffi Warnecke146
mr. PPIO81
Astrid Gambill72
Bruno Esperanca73
Craig S73
Manish Kumar67
Nitin Jinagal65
Suseelan Hari622
Suman Chakravarthy K51
Anshu Lilhori41
Chandra Agarwal42
kishan P41
Michael Howles44
Jelena Perfiljeva31
Avirat Patel21
Benedict Vasanth22
Callahan Hari22
manu m23
Vivek Singh Bhoj22
chetan dalvi11
Frederik Pena11
k j11
Nick Loy11
' MoazzaM '02
Dëv Päträ03
TW Typewriter02
anshu_lilhori
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The person who replied max.got the least likes so commenting on blog/documents is a better deal it seems..lol.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think after this discussion no one will any question regarding following people.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why Hari didn't stop clicking is however still just as much in the dark as a mime in a forest...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am a psychic. I knew that out of 32 entries, you would pick that one apart.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

14 out of 6. Not bad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It also shows that about 2 well thought out answers is actually all that is needed to add information value for other consumers of it...

Cheers,

Julius

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jurgen gets the most for his buck... 15 likes for 1 reply!

Craig

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, but... he's Jürgen. ^^ I mean, its kinda normal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Everyone is watching this discussion with a large coke and bucket full of popcorn. Keep them coming.

Maybe someone will create a document using "convert to document" feature, and a new discussion will start in comments section of that document.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Waiting for Part 2...

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The day is young....

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Manish,

How did you calculate this? (manual or...)

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

He really is a one hit wonder.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I pasted the plain text into Notepad++ and did a series of regex search replace to get name-like pairs in each line. Then I pasted it into MS Excel and created a pivot table for aggregation.

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Now this is the kind of post which will catapult you to the top of the table you've created!

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

he hits mouse again and now he is 17000+

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wait a second. All you have is circumstantial evidence.

What if the account was compromised and a group of vigilantes are exploiting it?

What if follow-bot gained consciousness and refused to respond to kill -9 command?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Manish,

In the "report", TW has zero likes but that might not be correct!

and Yes, the like was marked before you created the report.

PS: The # (or % to # of posts) likes does not matter, but just for the accuracy of your report and method of calculation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right. My apologies.

Clearly there was no peer review, not even proper unit testing.

Looking at your reputation history, it is evident that you had 1 like before I created the report.

I retraced the steps, and found the anomaly.

The plain text (my input data) has Like ( # ) for every reply.It was used as unique identifier of end of reply.

However, there was one exception to this rule. I had liked a reply of k j that appeared just before yours.

Plain text for liked reply shows Liked ( # )

As a result, k j 's 4 likes were lost, and your 1 like was associated with k j.

To correct the report, 1 like 1 post can be added to your entry, and 4-1=3 likes can be added to k j 's entry.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Manish,

Thanks for the explanation!

Therefore my earlier question - how was this calculated (manual or...)?

TW validated only its # of likes...Indeed, this brings up the concept of how disproportionately we focus on "our" content etc. I guess, it is animal nature (and humans are part of that group)!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answer remains same. It was done manually using Notepad++ and MS Excel.

It can be automated by writing a script or macro. Both Notepad++ and MS Excel have macro feature.

I copied plain text and pasted into Notepad++ (Ctrl+A Ctrl+C Ctrl+V), then did a series of regex search/replace operations to create a tab separated list, each line having participant and likes separated by tab character.

When tab and newline separated text is pasted into MS Excel, values automatically occupy correct cell position.

After having an excel table with column A having participant name and Column B having Likes, I created a MS Excel pivot table to aggregate the likes and post counts against every participant name.

>>disproportionately we focus on "our" content etc

Well this post is all about our reaction to content created by other person because the particular behavior is not exhibited by majority. It is also animal nature.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manish and Typewriter wrote:

It is animal nature.

Where in mother nature's spectrum of animals ranging from the amoeba to bluewhales can behaviour comparable to clicking 17k times for months on end be observed?

Even a woodpecker would give up after a day or two...

Cheers,

Julius

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Julius,

We were discussing about -

Focusing disproportionately on "content" created by "self"...e.g. a mother elephant is concerned more about her baby in comparison to other baby elephants in the herd.

Yes, our "side" discussion was in a tangent to the "main" idea!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah, ok.

But in that case you should compare it to something from nature which relates to points and not cute little baby elephants.

I suggest bacteria which lives in the shadow of shark **** faeces. As we all know, shark faeces spend the whole day at the bottom of the ocean as a life support system for it's own shadow and some idiotic bacteria which lives only there but is useless to the rest of the ecosystem.

That is what you are referring to, right?

Cheers,

Julius

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think that comparison is a little harsh, Julius.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not really. But I was refering to the role which points have in the ecosystem. Not people (bar points sharks).

I hope I did not offend anyone (bar points sharks).

Should I rather have used hyeanas and roadkill? 🙂

Cheers,

Julius

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ah, I thought you used that comparison on the persons. But it looks like I'm the only one, who missunderstood.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Clearly you have not experienced Clicking Bad

Former Member
0 Kudos

I hope the replies of this discussion will be not more than Hari followers list.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It can't..

If it happened ( negative possibility ), then current thread will be over weighted ...  and we have to give award to Hari for 'Maximum comments on the thread.'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Nothing wrong in following so many people until you are following all the activity posted by them.

I think you need to replace your mouse after 16,786 click.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Power users use gaming mouse, whose long life buttons can survive 20 million clicks.

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Best comment ever. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suseelan Hari wrote:

if every single likes your content only once then

you might have 33,572 Points .WoW...

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know what's more sad.  Gaming the system by following 16k+ people, or those who care that he's gaming the system.  It's obvious what's going on, but who cares?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It does have an entertainment value for me, however I would be better off with a real laugh about something seriously funny and not this tragically silly Monty Python stuff. 

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Agreed that I laughed more than once, but sadly, it was at those who are getting bent out of shape over it. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is why I made myself a tea and some popcorn when Hari arrived on the scene. Still waiting for the shooting to start... 🙂

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's obvious what's going on, but who cares?

Some people care, and that's good. Otherwise, the last one switches the lights off.

Thomas

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also: It's a discussion, so the topic is meant to be discussed. ^^

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I get what you are saying but what if EVERYONE had that attitude, what do you think would happen to SCN?  If no-one bothered about this annoying noise then the whole site would quickly fill up of pointless (oh the irony) posts with no content or value, backed up with thousands of "gud blg, keep rockin" comments and everyone would have stupid amounts of points.  SCN would become useless overnight*.

Where would you go for SAP help then?  help.sap.com? (Ha!)

Seriously, I get that I'm a moaning, cynical so & so, who's happy to moan about this sort of stuff but any community like this needs people with my mentality (just as much as it needs tolerant people like yourself) to ensure the people here just to abuse the system, whilst not being stopped at least have a hard time.

Cheers,

Gareth.

* Just occurred to me that maybe this is what we need to happen, once all of the "gud blg" brigade have cracked level 100 and got their flying SCN mount, maybe they'll move on and make the lives of people on SAPFans.com a misery and SCN will be purged of the noise?!

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I bet the one who this is meant for is not even going to read this....mmmmoooooaaaaaaning

Benedict

Former Member
0 Kudos

Odds are in your favor. User activity is a living proof of it.

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LOL @ "Flying SCN Mount" 

I guess the point I was alluding to was that (aside from me taking pause to dip into this thread) and discuss, 'LOL Gud blg m8' vs. 'Ugh these good blog posts are annoying' both register the same reaction from me: indifference.

(Also, I see the irony in my complaining about complaining about blogspam.) 

I also don't see how comments/replies detract from the community.  At least in the spaces I subscribe to, I rarely, if ever, see blogspam or stupid discussion.  (Perhaps this is a credit to the moderators, to be fair).

I've also (innocently, before reading how this apparently infuriates some people) placed comments like "Great post man" or "This is awesome, thanks" as just a personal touch to my 5-rating the 'Like'.  If people do that to fish of reply likes, that's kind of sad, but I don't think it's a plague of massive proportions.

Maybe one of our Data Geeks in the Lumira space can scrape blog replies for 'gud blogz kthx' vs what is subjectively a meaningful reply and put it into perspective for us

I think SCN is the greatest support resource for SAP technology out there.  I know that if I Google for an SAP problem (because let's face it, SCN search sucks), that 9 out the first 10 search results will point me to a related SCN blog or discussion thread.

(And yes, LOL @ SAP Help or Service Marketplace being as helpful)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is nothing wrong with writing "great post".

It is just that excess of anything is bad.

People get infuriated when they see 20 updates in activity, all of them being same kind of comments.

>>Maybe one of our Data Geeks in the Lumira space

There is a related blog.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is nothing wrong with making a sincere comment on a blog or discussion that you rated, that you read and that you understand.  I hope you continue to do so!

The problem is motivation. If you do this on hundred blogs, in a short time frame, it appears that you are fishing for "likes" from the blog writer for your comment.  If you look at the range of blog topics he has commented on, IF he comprehends and understands them all, SAP should be hiring him as a master developer or guru or something.  It also, unnecessarily pushes these into the activity stream if you are monitoring that space.

Maybe I'm stupid but I look at the blogs/documents posted everyday and seriously, I'm lucky to understand, in depth, maybe 3 of every 20, more than likely 1 of every 20.   And some of the blogs/discussions aren't really all that good and probably really shouldn't have any comments.

Craig

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Suseelan,

What value has this discussion added to you?

Are you going to take some action - reduce / increase no. of members you are following?

Or is this just banter, with coffee (in a corner)?

TW

former_member182489
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

suseel,

If you are happy with these answers , Please close the thread.

The discussion would go never ending !!!

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I want to give 100 likes for this reply...

But unfortunately I can give only One..

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

manu,

Technically the thread is already answered!

By "closing the thread" do you mean something else?

Any harm in discussions over coffee never ending?

former_member182489
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TW Typewriter

No harm, go ahead .

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know what you're thinking.

Former Member
0 Kudos

LOL.. 

You are thinking: did he click 16,786 times or only 16.785 times?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think Hari still has one caliber .45 click left which will blow Manu's head clean off of SCN out of sheer delight if he gets the beloveds.

Thrilling stuff!

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In few games on Facebook like "NSO" or "Mafia Wars"

We had to click multiple times to Complete a mission and Level Up

But some of us, used to know scripts and we used to run it once and then Set Browser to Auto Refresh every 5 seconds instead of manually clicking buttons every time

So, I guess may be Hari also has some magic that helps him follow members without manually clicking each button

Regards,

vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

How could you forget Farmville? It is the one that started clicking game.

So much so that a CowClicker parody came out, and that was a hit too. Every time you click, Cow will make Moo sound.

Script or not, it takes lot of effort to write so many comments, and they are not just thank you. Several comments are larger than a tweet, and apart from usual thank you and appreciate, there is something that relates to that post only. This adds some level of uniqueness.

If you calculate followers to following ratio, it is a lossy scenario.

If you calculate points earned per word typed, it is a lossy scenario.

There are 2 Hari in this thread, Suseelan and Callahan.

It may get confusing for new readers.

Astrid_Gambill
Contributor
0 Kudos

just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I have to say that pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

Astrid_Gambill
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Steffi, it's the motto we try and live by on our support team.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Suseelan Hari wrote:

Hm, could this be some new form of the hoarding disorder?

It might not be wrong (i.e. doesn't violate ROE), but IMHO it's just plain stupid. Reminds me of those "connection junkies" on LinkedIn that have hundreds of "connections" but then if you ask them about one of them then it's "oh, I don'know that guy". Then why the heck are you even "connected"?! Just another form of measuring you-know-what, ahem.

bruno_esperanca
Contributor
0 Kudos

Well allow me to disagree!

On LinkedIn I do accept every and any connection (considering it is not SPAM), as most of these requests are usually head hunters, and if I ever change my status to "looking for this job" hopefully chances will be higher that these people get this status and might have something for me.

As for SCN and other social (personal) networks... completely agree, if I don't know the person, no need to be connected.

Best!

Bruno

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have a few connections in linkedin to whom I dont know and now when I want to unlink them I am not able to find any option there

For this discussion I am surprised to see that someone cal follow 17000 members. It was 16000 when this discussion started and now its 17000. For me most surprising thing is that 2000+ members are also following you

Well it looks weird to follow fake IDs and what can we learn from people who never existed. Everyone is free to chose to whom he should follow or not and after going through this thread I think now this is the time that someone post an Idea in Idea place that there should be restriction in following members. Followers can be unlimited but Following should be restricted.

Thank$

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think we don't want to waste time by creating an idea and voting for it, since this is a an exceptional case.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lolzz

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not think that these are fake ID's, maybe there are few among them, which is unavoidable if you follow everyone who registers. The most are just the silent majority who get their answers from existing discussions.

And i would as well not want to restrict the option to follow so many people. This is the personal decision of Suseelan and does not hurt anyone if he does not misuse it for mass mailings or whatever one can do with it.

Unfortunately a few missions just count followers.

You usually cannot really fake followers, hence those missions (even I do not like this word in this circumstance) were well defined and people with many followers are popular and influencers.

The bad thing in following so much people is the Viagra effect, or lets say it is exact the same what the hackers do with pishing mails. if one of hundred opens the link, then they are already in the winning zone.

And the same trick is used with commenting on any blog and document.

There are a few people here who do this trick professional, they even stopped contributing with answers to problems in their usual area, because they earn  less points than they get for just typing "thank you"

Former Member
0 Kudos

A better term would be Scoble effect.

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with this sentence...

I hope we should follow these persons, from whom we can learn something...

What does the meaning of following?

It means we want to learn something from the person...

If we follow someone, then we can see the person's movement , what he is doing in SCN, what he is posting etc etc etc...

And for this posting we can learn something new from that person..

So why I am following a person for just to show up in my profile...

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dev,

I do have a better option. Why not follow each space and forum of SCN instead of following every user. This is better way of getting feeds from everyone and also wouldn't need multiple clicks and thus, mouse/ pad would also be saved

Also, it would help in daily task. No need to find new users everyday

ntn

PS: This idea is not for me, not for you but only for those who want to start following everyone.

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good idea....

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Suseelan,

I haven't read all the replies!

Your goal is very clear (to you) and you are taking steps accordingly. One of them is to connect with many members.

You can continually judge if it is working for you.

So why bother asking for suggestions to people who might not be able to put themselves in your shoes? Might not have the "skills", qualities / abilities you possess!

I would have understood, if before making many connections you would have raised this point. Now you have the luxury to see the results for yourself (it works or doesn't)

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suseelan

You have 24 hours in day, out of which you spend 6-8 hours in sleep, now you have 18 hours left, out of 18 you will spend it for dinner breakfast, lunch  and regular day activities, traveling etc, now you have  balance 14 hours in a day- out of which you work for 8 hours a day, I believe that you will not spend 14 Hours on SCN, Now practically you have only 840min, imagine what if let say 10% people out of 16000+ people you follow posted content , does it take any time to read those content? Does it take any time to understand the content? Does it take any time to participate in discussion or making any comment? Does it take to you place where you doesn't want to be? Does it take any time to reproduce/ ponder issue ?  what does follow mean to you, Follow means more knowledge more sharing , for me its big question? how will you distribute these available minutes to gain or share the knowledge? you can not buy a perfume blindly without knowing the essence of it?

Thanks

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

I do agree with your Slogan

My thoughts "More People"

Its good to know many people in SCN if you interact with them and then it makes a sense to follow them

I am sure you would not have interacted with all those 17K members....

I am also active on SCN and I would say I have not interacted with even 100 people here

My thoughts "More Connection"

If you are not interacting with the people whom you are following then you are not connecting with them So saying "More Connections" is not useful here

My thoughts "More Knowledge"

If you want to learn more then the best way is to follow "SCN Space" in which you are interested and

you will get to learn lot of things that way

I follow around 60 people and few SCN Spaces but still I am not able to follow "Activity Feeds" from all of them....

So following 16k people, it would be next to impossible for me to learn anything from those feeds as "most of the occasional SCN users ask questions only" and I might miss some blogs and documents from some SCN Geniuses

These are just my thoughts as everyone has their own perception about things

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Wonderful. I like the way you explain to me.

My perception is different with all of them ! If I think I am doing wrong. I willn't follow single people. If you see some of the SCN members they have good points and badges. But they aren't ready to follow one single person. That's the difference between them and me. I am not telling I am great and they are bad. Attitude & Perception vary from person to person. I think you understand now.

I appreciate your efforts to think and share your thoughts about this.

My special thanks for supporting ! sharing ! contributing towards SCN. We will meet up soon!

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

former_member182489
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suseel,

Sorry to ask this question or if its asked above by any 

What is the real intention of posting this question ?

Did SCN rules of engagement  speak on the count of followers and following folks one user should have ?

If its not there , you are safe .

If you can handle those thousand followers , go ahead !!! . Its all depends on ones need and purpose.

regards

manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Good Day!

No sorry please! You can ask anything related to this discussion. Nothing wrong. Following is the tab used to follow the people you like, motivated, connection, network and I can tell many things. In my organization community also I am following many people. I dont think its wrong thats why I raised as a question. Different people will have different views and option. I thought of sharing with them and get different feedback. Thats all.

Be happy ! Thanks for your time and support.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

former_member184701
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you simply make too much noise

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PPIO,

Not noise! Raising my voice to understand things and helping other SCN members to understand whether we are going in the right track! Thanks for your time and comments.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

I'm inclined to agree with - you tend to comment on every single blog, document, status update etc.  More often than not with a relatively meaningless comment along the lines of "great work, keep blogging" which is great in terms of encouraging people but what value does it really add?  I've also noticed you are constantly following more and more people (hence this thread I guess.)  In my book (and many others) it really is just noise.

One simple question - what is the point of following EVERYONE and posting on EVERYTHING here on SCN?  Do you actually have a day job to do or do you spend all of your time on SCN?  The cynical part of me wonders if it is just a cunning ploy to get points quickly, by commenting on absolutely everything and hoping for a "like".  You've been a member exactly a year today according to your profile and yet already have over 3000 points.  If you check out your reputation a vast majority of your points come from people "liking your comment" yet if you look at the comment, it is mostly "good blog, thanks" type stuff.

Please, instead of entering what is a pointless (ironic) comment, try to use the "Like" button and rate people's content, rather than filling SCN up with noise.  Lots of people are getting tired of the "good blog, thanks" comments that are increasingly being added all over SCN at the moment and I suspect (hope) they will soon start to be removed to tidy the content up.  Sadly, every day I come to SCN you appear to be one of the big proponents of this approach and I don't think it is doing your real (i.e. not points based) reputation any favours.

You started on SCN by asking PI related questions and adding documents and blogs around this area which was great, but in later times all you seem to do is comment on everything and follow everyone.  Sorry if I sound ranty and miserable but I just don't see the point and all it is doing is annoying lots of other SCN users.

Please, take a step back and think about lots of the comments on this thread and also what many people have said in various blogs about noise, etc.

As a final thought, and I know you have seen this before, please try to focus more on quality, not quantity.

Hope this is useful,

Gareth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for describing about my SCN contribution in brief. I understand what you are trying to figure out. If someone's blog or document is good, I appreciate. If its not good I will not rate or like them. Motivating people I don't think it wrong. I work for two projects and still I am contributing my time towards SCN during night time, holidays and weekend. It's my personal and self interest. If someone is contributing in SCN and getting more points than me I willn't unnecessary question them without knowing them clearly. I am sorry to say that. Some people are interested in social network & some people are interest in technical network. I am not ready to waste my time in other unwanted websites. Thats why I concentrate more in this SCN community. In SCN, many people posted technical, business, process, motivational blogs. Whenever I get free time, I will not waste and try to contribute in SCN. I sacrifice all my time for SCN and without entertainment, I will not spend time with my family too. I am doing this for myself as well as for SCN members. I will post some more SAP PI blogs soon. Many people are encouraging others, you aren't pointing them. Why people are behind me, I really don't know. I am not doing anything bad I feel like that. If I think like that and  feel like that I willn't log anymore in SCN. I try to share my knowledge, motivate others, follow every one, automatically the points update. If some one is not able to do what I am doing currently. They will ask millions of questions. I don't think, I am doing anything bad or big mistake to the SCN community. Why I raised this question without discussing with anyone. Every one should understand why I am following every one in good sense not in different sense. I think you understand. If you think I am not worth. I request you to remove all my points and badges. Thats all I can tell you. Many blogs have been removed. I accept it and I understand & respect SCN rules. I respect SCN, SCN Members and all others.

"Different people have different opinions"

Once again, thank you so much for sharing your views! I learnt many lessons from many people.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hari,

Pipo, Gareth and Craig S could not have said it more accurately - It's just noise.

Your understanding of SCN and it's purpose is totally misplaced. SCN is a place to share knowledge and help SAP customers solve real-time issues. This is not a place for networking. Of course it is good by-product.

Meaningless comments add no value to the community. Your justification that this is to motivate members to post more data is not correct. The Like button has been introduced for the exact same purpose. Moreover the job to motivate content publishing is the responsibility of Community Members like Laure and others. As a responsible member of this community your responsibility is to contribute quality content. It appears your sole purpose is to earn points and missions and become popular. This is not an accusation Im making - these are things you have stated in your "blogs" in the "Career Center" and "About SCN" space.

You say you don't spend time on social networking sites, but then you've made SCN your social networking site, which as I mentioned earlier is not the mission statement of this site.

Whenever I get free time, I will not waste and try to contribute in SCN. I sacrifice all my time for SCN and without entertainment, I will not spend time with my family too. I am doing this for myself as well as for SCN members.

You remind me of Gordan Du, who spent an insane number of hours in SCN and raking up 50K+ points in a pre-gamification era. The only difference between you and him is that he earned those points purely by helping solve technical queries. But if you are spend the same insane number of hours "Following" SCN members and building your network then you are doing a big mistake cutting down on your family and social time.

What members in this thread is trying to say is that instead of misusing the features of SCN, use it to your advantage to filter your content and help you save time to sift through the sea of content.

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

all you seem to do is comment on everything

Hang on a second here... I think these users might actually be my mother-in-law trying to engage with the community!

Julius

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No discussion is complete without JB's M-I-L and/or cats!

Now the OP can close this thread!

...waiting

...waiting

...waiting

Oh wait... I forgot his fingers have been taped to the mouse

pk

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Will experience low noise now, since no points are awarded for comments/ replies;

Midhun VP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Plus... 's account has been disabled and all points revoked.

and team won this battle then

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think I can mention why his account was disabled, but it wasn't because of having so many followers or all his one line comments that he was hoping to get points for.  I don't want people to think he was booted because of this discussion and that people just wanted him gone for that reason.  He was banned for violating a very basic rule of the site that would have gotten anyone banned who did it.  It wasn't Laure and a team out to get him.

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't see any reason why we should not disclose the reason for disabling his ID. Just to clear the air for all other users and his "Followers", his ID was disabled because he was caught posting copyrighted material in this site - twice.

Once it was established that he had indeed committed copyright infringement, he was given a chance to present his side of the story. Even after presenting the evidence of copyright infringement, the OP refused to accept his mistake. The matter was then referred to the SCN Global Moderators who decided on the "disablement".

For someone who spends his entire day reading and commenting on posts here in SCN, ignorance cannot be excuse!

pk

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My feeling was it wasn't my place and I'm not sure it's your's.  I would think that would be an area of responsibility for SCN site owners, i.e. SAP personnel.

IMHO

Craig

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Just want to say that the account was disabled for reasons other than the topic discussed here (number of followers).

Don't want anyone drawing any conclusion here 😉

Laure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Understood. Although, these things are all connected.

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

Your mantra of 'More People, More connections......' looks good in paper, but for all practical purpose, how many of these members that you follow have you helped with genuin comments or reviews or improvements about their contributions? I am not talking about 'good job' or 'nice work' comments here.

There's nothing wrong in following 16000 people, it only seems impossible to some of us. The 'follow' button is a filter and if you use it for everything and everyone, the whole pont is lost. You might as well use the 'all activity' tab.

To me, what you are doing feels like some kind of obsession.

But, why this sudden enlightenment at 16000, may I ask?

Benedict

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benedict,

Good Day!

I am also not referring about good job or nice work. Yes it may or may not be obsession. I am not going to comment on that. I always follow what brain says not heart says.

The reason is "Many people I want to interacted" and I like SCN very much. No more words to say!

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

anshu_lilhori
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

I feel before even posting this question you had your opinion and point of view correct!

Following many people in SCN community is wrong? I don't think so.

Now out of those 16k odd people how many of them are really active ?

See lets be practical that following more people will give more knowledge,to be frank it will just increase the number of following people which eventually happened in your case as well.So now how you get knowledge from all those inactive users.

On the part of courtesy as Ravi says that the least you can do is follow someone who follows you.And that make complete sense to me.

P.S: I do not have any intention to offend you or your ideas,i am just trying to put my thinking in another way.

Regards,

AL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anshu,

I appreciate that you are thinking in another way. I also think in different way to connect with different people. I clearly mentioned, I don't want one single point or badge for following people. If you follow more people, definitely I can assure that some will follow you. If they follow you, they will try to open your profile, blogs, ideas, comments, documents and try to share some thing. Sharing technical, business, process, general knowledge develop in you. I feel its quite interesting. I know how painful to follow every one. I need to spend separate time for that. If you follow 1000 members then you will definitely understand that pain that I am facing right now. Please don't mind. I think differently, some people agree and some people don't agree. Thats why I want to share this information to our SCN community. I am ready to face and fight with anyone regarding this issue. This is not defensive, I am trying to explain my interest towards our SCN community. Thats all. Be happy & Be cool now. .

I appreciate your time and support for replying to my discussion.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

bruno_esperanca
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hari!

Well, if you're going to follow each and every activity in SCN I think there's no point in using the "following" feature of SCN. This feature's purpose is to help people "filter" what is going on per person. Let's say there is a handful of people who write very interesting content and you want that content to be highlighted in SCN, so you follow them.

If you follow everyone in SCN, how will you be able to know when the people you care about the most post something new? Of course, if you have the time to read everyone's content and don't need for it to be highlighted, then you can just follow everyone, or not use the feature at all. Up to you.

All the best!

Bruno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bruno,

Yes. I agree to you. If contents are good and we can follow them. If you want to build your network also I think & believe you can follow each and every one in the SCN community. If you give points or badges to me, its not required. Following people is self interest. Is that right or wrong? Thanks for your time and support.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

bruno_esperanca
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi again,

My humble opinion is that if you want to build a "work" network, you should use the appropriate network for that (I think we all know which one I'm talking about here...).

Here in SCN, from the moment you join I think you're already "connected" to everyone... and then you just follow those whose content you really want to read and participate in.

That's my opinion of course. Not a general truth I would perfectly understand if some people would look at it differently.

All the best!

Bruno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bruno,

Different people will look differently. I also look in different way some people. Its human nature and I dont think I am doing any big mistake. I just want to share my views, so that I can get some good suggestions as well as bad suggestions. I am not telling you are giving bad suggestion. Whoever responded to my question all is for me. I understand that very much and Big thanks for all of you. I want to build good network ! connection ! people ! In my organization also I am going to follow each and every one whenever I get time. Relax now! Be happy!

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suseelan Hari ,

I am just wondering about this post . Did any one ask you or you question yourself?

As per my view, I don't connect each and every one  who I see on SCN. I go selective..

These days, "getting connected to each other " by using "Follow" button is there in almost all social websites.

Do we really mean intake of too many updates and mean them too? My suggestion for you is to go choosy by looking at their profiles and their activities in SCN. This makes more sense

It will be unmanageable for you also to read each and every update in

Then your whole time will be going in checking the updates itself. When will you have time to post your own posts?

Hope you take my opinion +vely.

Regards,

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

You are my Guru! I am great follower of you. I respect and agree your opinion.

You always support me and try to understand what I am trying to say and what I am trying to convey to every one. I will follow the activity tab and proceed further.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do you manage to keep up with the content produced by almost 17,000 people? The 100 or so I follow produce more than enough content for me. There are times I can't keep up with my Activity stream and I have to skip content. I find that frustrating because all the people I follow I've chosen because they produce interesting, quality content relevant to me. I don't like not reading it all. With an order of magnitude more people, I'd end up reading more poor stuff and skipping more good stuff.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

I understand your frustration. Its very difficult, many people will ask many questions. You will also receive many direct messages. If it is really worth I will read it and if it bad, I will suggest them to update and repost the contents. Person to Person it varies Steve. Let's try to build good network and it will help each of them

I always respect your suggestion. Thanks

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think we have different ideas of what a network is...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

In IT world, we can compare network with people, network with computers which share knowledge to each and every one, network with community which helps us to group together. Thanks for your suggestion and help which help others to understand about community's tips & tricks. Have a great day!

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did a quick calculation and then tried to work out the diminishing returns to scale (neglect common sense for the moment...) to be able to find new people to follow (I considered that you found the dummies which SAP loaded into SCN to achieve the 2011 BPX KPIs which must have speeded it up a bit again) but still you must have spent about 40 days of your life mindlessly clicking at the "follow me" button and going on to the next user ID.

Perhaps you found the URL parameter for the "follow" command and wrote a script?

A mission to hack the missions would at least have an entertainment value... or did you really dedicate 40 days of your life to SCN for this?

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

I haven't count how many days spent to follow our SCN Members. I really want to build my connections with many people thats why I followed. I haven't write any script or anything. If I would have wrote any script I would have followed now 1 to 2 lakhs members. Its all my time and interest. Most of the SCN great people I have added and thats more than enough for me. I raised this question for all your suggestions. Anyway thank you for your support and time to reply for my discussion. I appreciate.

Be cool & relax.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could try to get into the Guinness Book of Records for clicking 16k times with a mouse for 50 consecutive days?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nice Joke! . Not for Guinness book of Records. Guinness SCN Members in my records. I liked it very much. You rock!

Our SCN members are always creative and innovative. Thanks for commenting.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hopefully by end of the year SCN users will be equal to the number of people you are following.

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's funny

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just looking at the first page of your connections list

http://scn.sap.com/people/harisuseelan/people

one can see plenty of user IDs with bogus screen names who do not post any content at all, so non-active IDs. It seems that 80 to 90 percent of the "people" you are following fall into this category.

I can only speculate about your motivation, but this makes me conclude that you are totally overusing or even misusing this feature. No, it's not directly violating the RoE, but it leaves a dubious impression, as far as I am concerned.

You seem to have very high energy of participating on SCN, I wish you would channel this into more meaningful output, focussing on quality rather than quantity.

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I totally agree with you.

Instead of following so many people try to get more followers by writing good Blogs/documents on SCN.

Topics like this have no value for SCN.

Frederik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frederik,

Why I posted this question in my discussion is every one should understand why we are following others. If you are following in any other websites, you are not going to gain or learn anything. I feel SCN is like Ocean, we can learn many new SCN updates, interesting topic, technical daily updates. I can tell you that, nothing wrong to follow others. If you are able to spend time, I request you to follow SCN members. All the best!

Different people will have different opinion. Thats why I raised this question. Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frederik,

Welcome to SCN World!

After reading you comments!

I followed you now !

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Private_Member_15166
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

"one can see plenty of user IDs with bogus screen names who do not post any content at all, so non-active IDs."

i do agree with this but people have reasons regarding this :-

1. SCN has became a point game where everyone is only trying for getting points. Like someone asks a question and that question is easy one, then you cann't count the number of comments. too many comments, even people knows that above replied answer is correct but they will reply in expectation that may be he will mark my question as correct answer or helpful answer.

Other way if the question is a little bit tough then people will just see it and don't bother himself to reply. They will wait for easy one. As most of the people on SCN are experienced one and they have a little bit tough question, and they know that no one will reply this one. so that type of person don't bother to login on SCN.

By the way, i am a little bit active one because i am a fresher and i have to learn much more from this SCN ocean.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What's important is not the number, but the intention behind it.

Regards,

Steffi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cool...

Nowhere it is mentioned that you cannot follow others/more than X number!

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

That's Fantastic. Lets see other comments & views.

Regards,

Hari Suseelan