cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Cluster Services not coming up

Former Member
0 Kudos

After applying windows patches on the SAP environment, the SAP cluster services are not coming up. Both the service and instance is failing.

This is NW 702 system with SCS on Windows 2008 R2 cluster. Here is what I have already done.

- swapped the sapstartserv.exe

- updated saprc.dll(cluster dll's)

nothing changed, only applied some critical windows patches. Did the same in other systems but no issues.

The Windows events error is

SAPRC: StartSapCOM soap connect failed. NT Error: The system cannot find the device specified.

regards

Yogesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Has anybody solved this issue? facing the same problem.

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

if the problem is related to the deadlock during IsAlive/Looksalive checks problem, please have a look into

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1946204

if not (it just happend after a configuration or software change) follow my last suggestion.

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

my suggestion to analyse this situation is:

1. turn on maintenance mode (https://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-32639)
  2. start the corresponding Windows Service using the Windows Service Manager
  3. use SAPMMC or SAP Control to administrate the clustered instance (which now can be handeled as some kind of unclustered)
  4. after you have identfied and fixed the problem, remove maintenance flag and start using again the clustered stuff

by the way: did you check your firewall, whether it is blocking some traffic on the box?

kind regards

Peter

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh

1. In SAP group  the cluster disk showing as online?

2. Most of the time it may be issue with Common storage, check with SAN admin team

3. Kindly refer the SAP Note 1345206 - Handling and preventing sapstartsrv.exe corruptions

Regards

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

we don't have any storage issues, I can browse the shared drive just fine.

tried this note and sapstartsrv is not the problem. anyway have tried updating it, as I mentioned in the message, we have tried updating the cluster dll's as well.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Could you share you windows MSCS screen shot with SAP & DB groups?

Regards

Ram

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, though this not does not apply to what we are facing, this may give some traces and detailed logs so that SAP can analyze. So far they have not been able to provide any help.

we are not seeing any cluster hung or failover issue. the cluster SAP service just fails to start not giving much logs. Attaching the cluster screen, though all it shows is the failed SAP Instance/service.

The service comes up but fails when I try starting the instance.

regards

Yogesh

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for your information

1. Just do the full restart of both Nodes and than check the SAP service & instance?

2, In the Cluster event its show's any error message for two resource are failed? if possible with Screen shot?

Regards

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the cluster log, the only relevant message is

"The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or application 'SAP EJP' completely online or offline. One or more resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the clustered service or application."

reboot etc, trust me I have tried all that. SAP logged in and are almost suggesting us to reinstall the cluster. I am not happy and pushing to get a root cause so that we know what is going on. we have 20 other SAP clusters, I would hate to find out that there is something we did causing this problem and we are rebuilding them as well.

We opened a case with MS and they pointed to the following messages in the cluster event log.

1. 00001728.00000bdc::2014/02/09-10:51:44.832 INFO  [RCM] Will retry
    online of SAP EJP 10 Instance in 3600000 milliseconds.

0000185c.00001588::2014/02/09-10:51:45.019 ERR   [RES]
Generic Service <SAP EJP 10 Service>: Failed the IsAlive test. Current
State is 1.

0000185c.00001588::2014/02/09-10:51:45.019 ERR   [RES]
Generic Service <SAP EJP 10 Service>: Failed the IsAlive test. Current
State is 1.

0000185c.00001588::2014/02/09-10:51:45.019 WARN  [RHS] Resource
SAP EJP 10 Service IsAlive has indicated failure.

1. 00001728.00001438::2014/02/09-10:51:45.019 INFO  [RCM] HandleMonitorReply: FAILURENOTIFICATION for 'SAP EJP 10 Service', gen(11) result 1.
  2. 00001728.00001438::2014/02/09-10:51:45.019 INFO  [RCM]
    TransitionToState(SAP EJP 10 Service) Online-->ProcessingFailure

-         From the above cluster logs we see that the resource “SAP EJP 10 Service “ was
failed bcause it could not respond to the IsAlive request.

-         From the event logs we see the following  “Error 2147500037 bring resource
online” &  “SAPRC:StartSapCOM soap connect failed.NT error: The system
cannot find the device specified”

Pretty much points to the SAP application failing to respond to Windows cluster controls.

If there was a way of re-registering SAP services in the windows cluster, it may work. I don't want to reinstall though.

regards

Yogesh

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh

1. Refer the SAP Note  112266 - SAP and MS Cluster Server: Frequent questions and tips Point number 10

2. Refer the Microsoft Link Group and resource failure problems: Server Clusters (MSCS)

Regards

Sriram