cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Conversion Tool simply shuts down in BO4.1Sp2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am trying to convert some DeskI reports to WebI using report Conversion tool in BO4.1.Source I am giving 3.1 CMS and destination is 4.1 CMS. I am able to select the reports to be converted and when I click on the "Next" button on the conversion wizard, I see the conversion progress and immediately once the conversion is complete, the Report Conversion Tool simply shuts down. The Conversion window that I see the progress on, does not have any other option other than the conversion status, but this window is anyway not accessible as it disappears when the RCT shuts down.

Thanks in Advance.

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have another issue

We migrated DESKI reports from BOX3.1 to 4.1 using UMT.After migration I am trying to convert these deski reports to WEBI using RCT (4.1).

When I was entering same 4.1 CMS details at Source and destination,it is redirecting to login page of RCT again and again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best manner to upgrade your reports would be to first get the Deski reports converted to webi in 3.1 and then upgrade to 4.1 version using UMT.

0 Kudos

Hello,

this is not Best Practices as desired by SAP.

The RCT has been massivley improved with BI 4.1. Please use the RCT from BI 4.1 to convert your DeskI Reports to WebI. Here you have two options.

1. Migrate your DeskI Reports from XI 3.1. to BI 4.1 so that they are available as DeskI Documents in your BI 4.1. Environment. In the RCT use your BI 4.1. Environment as Source and Destination to convert your DeskI Reports to WebI.

2. In the RCT use your XI 3.1 System as Source and your BI 4.1 System as Destination. Convert them "On the fly".

I always choose the first Option.

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seb,

Thank you for this update. I was not aware of this best practice as we had RCT in 3.1, so I believe that we could figure out the problem to be resolved in 3.1 initially and then move the report in 4.1.

I would appreciate if you could help us with the best practice documents in this case as I was not successful in finding the same.

0 Kudos

Hi,

you can use this Page:

https://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-41571

The Reason why you take the RCT of BI 4.1 is that the successrate is higher. Therefore this is recommended.

By introducing the Desktop Intelligence Compatibility Pack (DCP) within 4.1 it is possible to connect the RCT to your 4.1 Environment as Source and Target.

Therefore i recommend you use the 4.1 UMT first to migrate the DeskI Documents from XI 3.1 to BI 4.1 and afterwards convert them on the 4.1 Environment with the RCT.

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Seb for sharing the RCT doc. It does mention about higher conversion rate to webi.

Will try to figure out what kind of features existing in Deski 3.1 is available in webi 4.1 as well.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

After doing a few migrations I have compiled a list of things that can affect the RCT application.

First thing to mention is to bring your Desktop reports as is to XIR4.1 (Preferably SP5 Patch 1and above) (Exclude instances, bring universes, For core universes migrate them manually)

Now one of the things I noticed is the UMT in some cases does not migrate all dependent universes for deski reports and this is one of the main reasons for RCT failure/hangs. Other key reasons below:

1. Complex custom groupings in deski reports

2. Hard coded dates with mismatch in formats

3. Variables with ".", "+" in the names

4. Queries pointing to personal data sources

5. VBA code

6. Custom SQL (Even though the documentation says this is supported, reading the small print it clarifies that custom SQL is only supported if there is only one query in the document. Where you have multiple queries in a doc with some using custom sql and some using unv this does not convert)

Quick process to debug:

1. Save the report with 3 versions each with the following changes:

a. Delete all report tabs

b. Delete all variables

c. Delete any dependent queries, personal DP, VBA

For extremely complex reports follow  the above process and then try converting 1a,1b,1c etc until the conversion process works.

Hopefully this helps!

coreoposis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have BI 4.1 SP 4 installed.  And I have the same problem with the RCT crashing.

1)  I have a 64 bit laptop but from what I can see from the documentation the RCT is supported there.  The server is running on a separate machine that is 64 bit Windows 2012 R2.

2) I verified the versions and patch level of both the Server and the Client

3)  I modified my migration.bat to include the location of the migration.jar

4)  I can run the RCT all the way through the conversion process, but it crashes immediately after it displays the status of the conversion.

5) I enabled tracing and this is the last message in the trace files.  "UIView.dll Terminating!"

I verified that everyone had access to use the RCT.  I'm not sure why this is happening.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would strongly recommend that you contact Technical Support, as i have seen multiple instances of this .

please let us know how you proceed.

regards,

H

0 Kudos

The RCT is installed on the server itself or on an other client computer? In this second case try to run it "as adminstrator" (also if your user is an administrator). It solved an other issue I had with the RCT.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check the below thread, it may help:

http://scn.sap.com/message/14768791#14768791

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I tried all above mentioned,Still not able to connect RCT and WEBI Rich Client.

IDT&UDT working fine.

There is no version mismatch between client and Server.We are on BO4.1Sp2

Thanks,

Kumar

0 Kudos

Hello,

as mentioned above from me, please trace the RCT and see whats in the Logs.

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos
0 Kudos

Hello,

please also run a Trace of the RCT and see whats in there.

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1267366

Regards

-Seb.