cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR2011 to CR2013 - System.AccessViolationException was unhandled

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are presently upgrading from Crystal Reports 2011 to Crystal Reports 2013 and we have run into an issue. In our test application we have run into an issue were we are getting the following error message when we try to set the report source for the Crystal Report Viewer control.

System.AccessViolationException was unhandled

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Source=CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportDefModel

Code that is throwing the error:

oForm.CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = crReportDocument

Application:

This is a Windows Forms application written in VB.net using the 4.0 framework (VS2010).

Crystal Report Viewer control version:

Crystal Reports 2013 version:

Support Pack 1, version 14.1.1.1036

In this test application we have tested the functionality for exporting a report to a PDF and sending a report directly to a printer with no issues, but when we set the reportsource for a viewer control we get the error. Any ideas why this would be occurring?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The version 14 runtime is from "SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform 4.x". This runtime only supports managed web applications - using VS 2010.

To create unmanaged windows applications you must you must use the version 13.x runtime from SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for Microsoft Visual Studio.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I have a couple of questions.

1) In our development environment over time we have gone from using CR11R2 to CR2011 and now to CR2013. We have Windows forms and web applications. Is CR2013 compatible with both environments?

2) In your response you stated that we should be using the 13.x runtimes for windows applications. When I look at the toolbox at what is available for crystal report viewers I see one for 14.x and 13.x (and what we have from CR11R2). If 14.x is only meant for web applications why is there a windows control?

Thanks

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello James

Unmanaged InProc ReportDocument APIs are not supported in a win apps using the version 14 runtime.

Unmanaged ReportClientDocument using an actual Crystal Reports Server installed on the same computer as the .NET runtime is supported in win apps using the version 14 runtime.

Managed report applications where you log on to BOE using ReportClientDocument (reports are hosted in BI / BOE) are not supported in win apps using the version 14 runtime.

Now, theoretically, all of the above should work web or win, but in an unsupported scenario, there is no way to escalate that for a fix.

What I would like you to do is download Process Monitor and see what it tells you about the reports loading. Filter procmon for your process name so you cut down the logs to a manageable size. The look at what happens when the rept files are being loaded. Any "Access Denied" errors? Wrong path, etc.,

etc.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I downloaded Process Monitor and ran it as the code executed. Is there anything jumping out at you from the image below?

Thanks,

Jim

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not from that screenshot. But I suspect there is a bunches of of stuff in the log. See if you can upload the whole log to this ftp container:

https://share.sap.com/a:328ro3/MyAttachments/R.1908132e-040c-4ed8-8c49-29ec3b6c0ebf/

I'll take a look, see if I can find anything. We may want to go to debugdiag too, but one bridge at a time.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I have copied the following files to the link provided:

BOECrystalReports.PML

BOECrystalReports-1.PML

Hopefully these are the files you need. The log start from when the application opens and end when the application throws the error.

Thanks!

Jim

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Cool. I'll take a lunch break and look at it once I get back. Keep your fingers crossed

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James

When I try to open the files I get the following error:

Can you please zip up the files and re-upload to here:

SAP Box Attachment

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I've copied up a zip file (BOECrystalReports-1.zip). Hopefully this one works!

Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Just curious if you have had a chance to look at the log file yet.

Thanks,

Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Since I haven't heard anything in nearly two weeks I'm assuming this issue has been dropped.

Jim

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The issue was not dropped, just took a while to get to it. As it is, phones and other duties take precedence over SCN forums.

I looked at the logs, but I don't see anything of use there. It may be that doing a phone call and a NetViewer session will be the next step. Phone incidents can be created here:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/en_US/pd/productID.98078100

- Ludek