cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background possibility for Data Exchange--> ALE with Recipient Selection in CG02

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

With Data Migration  Manually i am distributing my Specification

I am currently distributing/exchanging the Specification (CG02, search the specification with Identifier, select the Specification) Using Data Exchange--> ALE with Recipient Selection and then selecting the correct logical System.

Above is a Foreground Process. I want to know the options of making it as a Background process.Please guide me.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Louis-Nicolas
Participant
0 Kudos

Have you considered change pointer option for SUBMAS ?

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Murali

I don't understand your topic. Normally by using the method you mentioned you execute the "first" push to a different system and then by using the change pointer one t(as mentioned by Louis) the "next" push is done if needed (ALE is a big topic !). Anything "on high level" is done on background.

But may be I misinterpret you. These are options you might use:

you can try to prepare something which is "dynamically"; e.g. if a new specification is coming up in substance authorization group X you can try to use this" trigger" to push this neew spec automatic to a target system. You need only to know the target system. But this is own programming

In most case the first push is done manually and then the method of Louis is used to take care changes on the specification level to execute the "update".

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi C.B

Currently we are doing Data Migration of the existing half a million Specifications from one system to other.

Method we are using is via CG02 -> Selecting 1000 specifications say 200000000000 to 200000009999 for one fetch and then in Menu bar Data Exchange -> Choosing  Ale with Receipient Selection -> selecting the Receiving system .. It takes around 5 hours for 1000 specifications per session.

We are doing it in Foreground.. I want to know the chance of making the above process Background as it is very time consuming................

Regards,

Murali.T

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Murali

I believe you misinterpret ALE. Therefore I try it once again: ALE is a "general" SAP technique like e.g. "spool management" etc. in the Background based on you system set up a lot of ALE traffic can happen (e.g. material master data distribution, phrase distribution etc. etc.). Anything like that uses the same technique. On top: we have to differentiate the "oubound" and "inbound" side. I assume now we talk about SAP <=> ALE <=> SAP approach. Even if you succeed to take care about source system you have target system as well there inbound processing is done. Based on amount of data stored in source system, set up of your ALE scenario etc. etc., 5 hours might be a good value. I never tried it with this "mass".

So to make it short: ALE is done in "background" to a certain extent: there is less chance to improve "speed".

Coming back to your numbers: "existing half a million Specifications"; large system indeed. Ok what options you have? May be do the "Export" in SAP System one and do import in SAP system two using the standard interface. You need only the phrases etc. in place in the target system. But I have some "doubt" that this might be really "faster" but may be try as well with 1000 specs and you will see.

I assume we are talking about only a "one and only" migration ? Only in this case Import/export might make sense.

Why do you want to migrate? may be knowing the reason some other options could be used as well.

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Murali,

I agree with CB above, again Specificaiton IDOC can have more than 4000 segment which will take lot of time to move between client,

If intent is to reduce the time -

Move the specifciation via multiple approch - Spec which does not have more data such as LN_UN_SUB, DG_CL_SUB via .dat file (simple export and import function) than one with lot of data such as  Real Sub use ALE,

If you are using any data load Program such as Data editor or BAPI this may be more faster. 

try comparing the time to move the data via .dat file or ALE you will see a pattern which will help to reduce the time.

Hope this helps.

Gopi

former_member215519
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Murali, yes, ALE is a general SAP tool to send data over. But you can also setup as background job, by creating IDOC in the sending system and receive them in another.

RBDMIDOC (create IDOC)

RSEOUT00 (send IDOC)

RBDAPP01 (receive IDOC)

As for specification transfer, the message type and IDOC type will be as below

Message Type: SUBMAS

IDOC: SUBMAS02

But since we are building substance based on phrase/phrase set/characteristic/class, we need to make sure they are also sync up or send over. Otherwise it you may see errors.

To setup ALE link will be a difficult task, you need the help from SAP basis team to work together, such as WE20, SM36 and so on.

By the way, there is also option for serialization. You can have a look there for ALE.

Take care and good luck