cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metapedia Import and Export

0 Kudos

When doing a new data dictionary you usually use spreadsheets and the like. Once completed and consolidated into one spreadsheet you want to then load it into Metapedia.

I have created custom columns on metapedia to match the spreadsheet columns, and when exporting the custome attributes are exported as well.

The problem is that the metapedia only imports the standard columns (NAME, CATEGORIES, DESCRIPTION, KEYWORDS, SYNONYMS, AUTHOR, STATUS, RELATED TERMS) all other columns are ignored.

Does anyone know of a way to import the custom attributes?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Johann, We have the same issue, did you ever find a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

0 Kudos

Hi Bruce

No we never did, the customer decided to use a different product because of this issue. I have not followed up since so it may be that this functionality has been added to a later release.

Former Member
0 Kudos
  1. In order to add additional attributes(new columns to the sheet) to the metapedia terms go to manage button-->custom attributes-->define new attribute & apply to metapedia term.
  2. go to metapedia tab, u can see the source info column has been added to the term under custom attribute tab.
  3. once the attribute is submitted , it needs to be approved under my worklist. otherwise it will not be exported into excel file.

0 Kudos

Hi Krishna, you misunderstood. We know how to create a custom column and how to export it. However if you fill the exported sheet with data and import it, it will only import the standard column values not the custom columns. Thus the only way to fill the custom column is to type it in one row at a time which is completely ludicrous.

0 Kudos

Hi Abhiram

Yes I create the custom attirbutes using Manage->Attributes, and in the apply to I select metapedia terms. When viewing any metapedia term the custom attributes appear and when exporting the terms the custom attribute columns appear but when importing the exact file that was exported the custom attributes are not uploaded.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Johann,

Were you able to resolve this issue?

I am working with Information Steward 4.2, and still have the same issue - unable to map custom attributes. There is no option to import data from excel and map it to the custom attribute fields, as they do not exist as mapping options in the custom format option.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Johann,

Are you importing the terms on a system that has these custom attributes already defined? If the custom attributes are not already defined and marked as applied to the Metapedia terms, they won't be imported. Use Manage -> Preferences to create and associate required custom attributes.

Abhiram