cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on EHS data selection for labeling scenario (without GLM)

Louis-Nicolas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi EHS expert,

After implement DGM, I am starting to investigate the way we could print label (stock label & customer label) with EHS data.

Let’s says that I have 1 material code which could be delivered anywhere on the globe.

We have implemented the “GHS” globally, with the regional implementation (GHS_CLP for Europe, GHS_US for US, GHS_ASIA for Asia Pacific, etc.).  It’s included symbols, signal words, hazard phrases, precaution phrases, etc.

Hard point 1: EHS storing information

If I use the SAP std classification & characteristic, I would have to separate each GHS implementation into 1 VA/Class such as:

GHS implementation (EMEA) // VA/class = SAP_EHS_1023_094

GHS implementation (NA) // VA/class = SAP_EHS_1023_095

GHS implementation (PA) // VA/class = SAP_EHS_1023_096

Or … would not be easier to maintain into 1 ZEHS VA/Class and … segregate the implementation with different usage such as?

REGION/GHS_CLP,

REGION/GHS_US,

REGION/GHS_ASIA …

I am confused ...

Hard point 2: print EHS data

The printing logic for label is to print the correct information for the ship-to country. I tried to read the EHS notes/help  portal, but I did get the point on how SAP can select the appropriate VA/characteristic under a certain validy area … from the country (ship-to).

As I understand on the EHS GLM documentation it's seem to be a manual process ...

Ex: if ship-to party = US, then relevant GHS_US data would have to printed.

Also, depending on point 1) I am confused …

I planned to NOT use GLM with WWI … and try to select and export these data on a standard spool output. (We use a external label/barcode solution.)

Do I have the normal EHS approach?

Does the bapi BAPI_BUS1077_GETDETAIL is the best way to select & extract the characteristic data? (seems difficult to use with a validy area condition)

Appreciate any help, suggestion and comment!

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Louis

EHS data model does have a history. SAP does have now the trend to "split" properties in "subproperties" (per region).

Proposal: use the data model as it is. There are several reasons why SAP is now using these standard classes (e.g. access concept). PAY ATTENTION IF YOU USE RULESETS from a data provider (refer below). Don't use in this case a "Z" Class (it is possible but..)

So you are right:

"If I use the SAP std classification & characteristic, I would have to separate each GHS implementation into 1 VA/Class such as":

this is true; this is the "preferred" way to do it and on daily basis nobody has a problem with that.

Regarding:

"Or … would not be easier to maintain into 1 ZEHS VA/Class and … segregate the implementation with different usage such as?

REGION/GHS_CLP,

REGION/GHS_US,

REGION/GHS_ASIA …"

You can prepare this setup; no doubt;  result on high level is the same as in the SAP approach; there e.g. is one big "con": If you use rulesets from data providers you should not do it like that as in most cases they use standard SAP model.

regarding:

Hard point 2: print EHS data

This is WWI basic. Please check e.g.:

You must understand first the WWI approach; then the answer to your questiot is "easy" (ok: this is not really true; but you come closer to the "real" answer; referring to: The printing logic for label is to print the correct information for the ship-to country. I tried to read the EHS notes/help  portal, but I did get the point on how SAP can select the appropriate VA/characteristic under a certain validy area … from the country (ship-to).)

=> On high level: you use a generation variant, a corresponding WWi layout, you maintain the label view, you maintain the data in the proeprties with useful usages and then SAP is able to select (in most cases) the right label (and data on the label) to be printed.

May be check as well:

Regarding:

I planned to NOT use GLM with WWI … and try to select and export these data on a standard spool output. (We use a external label/barcode solution.)

This is an option; but I would use different options:

Several solutions for your demand exists.

Option 1: Use of an output variant => manual process but it will work (e.g. output variant can be called by external system as well via RFC !)

Option 2: Use of ALE; substance master data is distributed to "third party" system and processed there to "collect" the nneded data to be printed; here a lot of "suboptions" exists (e.g. use of PI/XI etc. betweep SAP ERP and third party solution)

I would not use the "Spool" option as you have mentioned and I am not sure if it will really work

regarding:

Do I have the normal EHS approach?

Does the bapi BAPI_BUS1077_GETDETAIL is the best way to select & extract the characteristic data? (seems difficult to use with a validy area condition)

Use the options mentioned above; they are stable etc. Option 1 does have one "con": it is 80% manuall process; Option 2 ist better; but you must push for the first time the data to the third party system (refer to:  )

Use of BAPIs is possible but you need a "good" ABAP frame to get a solution (e.g. via RFC (like in the case of outputvariant as mentioned above)

C.B.

Louis-Nicolas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello CB,

Thanks for your feedback. It's help.

In my scenario, I use EHS only to store legislative data (such GHS...) and output those on forms (label & logistic forms).

So I do not use WWI, neither Expert Rules for maintain these EHS properties.

I will investigate the ALE distribution of data to a third party.

Thanks!

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Louis

I am "surprised" to read your answer. How do you generate MSDS/SDS? As well with thrid party software? Pay attention: normally you should align MSDS/SDS data with Label Data and WWI is the right approach to do it (ok the users need to do on tops something but).

Be aware of the fact that you do not need only SUBMAS (if the talk about using ALE) but Phrase content as well. In most cases you do not only need data form "GHS" properties to generate labels but you need to use others as well. Therefore the ALE scenario might be "tricky" to use.

Here you have several options.

a.) use the "simple" approach and distribute the "whole" spec data (in most cases scenario like this is use: SAP ERP => SAP XI/PI => third party system). But you third party system must then use (by clever techniques) the data, select thee right one to be printed on label => WWI technique is better as integrated in SAP EHS

b.) you can use "advanced" scenario. If you are able to select the properties of interest you can adapt ALE so that data stream is smaller

c.) you can use "super advanced" scenario. E.g. you can think about e.g. filtering data records by usage

This can be done either in SAP ERP direct or at least the filtering (case b.) and c.)) could be done in SAP XI/PI and if needed as well during the inbound of the data in thir party system

The "best practise" approach is normally: just use SAP EHS GLM and prepare WWI reports. The printing of the right label is integrated in SAP ERP; if you use third pary software you need to use "special" approach to select the right label etc.

C.B.

PS: ALE is well supported in EHS. May be check:

Distribution (ALE) of Specifications, Phrases, and Reports - Basic Data and Tools (EHS-BD) - SAP Lib...

Chapter:

Distribution (ALE) of Specifications, Phrases, and Reports

Louis-Nicolas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph,

SDS are generated from a legacy system, which is connected to SAP-EHS. We try to keep the same extraction data logic in both system. Unfornulately, we could not used WWI for that.

For that, as you notice we transfert Phrases & specification with PHRMAS and SUBMAS. It's tricky but, as far as I know .. it should work.

The c) scenario is our choice. ... working with usage filtering.

Thanks.

Answers (0)