cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why options of "Database Generation" and "Apply Model Changes to database" differ?

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

Using PD 16.1 with the DBMS IBM DB2 Version 10 for z/OS i found that there is no generation of some (important) objects in the "Apply Model Changes to Database" dialog

IMHO it doesn´t make sense, that i can´t  modify or add a storage, tablespace , user or something else.

For me it looks like, that everything what is difficult is switched off !

In special, there is a situation in  DB2 Version 10, where you can assign 1 table to 1 tablespace (called universal tablespaces) and its necessary to drop the tablespace and recreate it when you need to "drop" the table.

regards

dj

Header 1Header 2

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

Could someone from SAP Powerdesigner Team comment on that ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The options are different because the mechanism used to create the generated DDL are different.  In "Database Generation" we can generate everything, because there is no need to support existing structures.  In "Apply Model Changes", we must first form a basis of compare between a current database and a current model, and need to be able to properly include the dependent objects that will make the update successful.  In cases like DB/2, if you were to turn off (which is what the options really let you do, turn on or off the inclusion of something in the DDL generated) then the DDL may not be usable.

In you example, you need to include the table space and storage objects in the DDL (and if you run the compare and generate the DDL, you see you get the desired result) and we do not permit them being turned off in the options.

So - the difference is because we expect something that was there to still need to be there - and should not be turned off.  If you have a use case where we would want to exclude these objects, and still have successful DDL generation, please let us know, we can consider updates to this capability.