cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating an existing liveCache 7.9 installation in MSCS environment

0 Kudos

Current ABAP SP : SCM 7.0, EHP2, SP7 based on Netweaver 7.0, EHP3, SP7 [SAP_BASIS/SAP_ABA : 731, SP7]

LiveCache : 7.9.08   Build 010

OS/DB : Windows Server 2008 R2  SP1 /SQL Server 2012 , SP1

Question: How to perform an liveCache Kernel update on 7.9 to update the build 10 to 17 in an MSCS environment [Microsoft Windows 2008 clustered environment ]

Details : During the SCM 7.0 EHP1 to EHP2 upgrade, I followed the steps mentioned in the note# 1461279, to perform the liveCache Release upgrade (7.7 to 7.9 Build 10)

But I wanted to know, if still need to follow the same note, even to perform the Kernel update of liveCache 7.9, build 10 to iveCache 7.9, build 10.

Also I am not sure if we can leverage the Max DB tool kit available to update the LiveCache 7.9 Kernel??

Please help clarify the above.

Thanks

Vipin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HEllo Vipin,

lease see the SAP note 156982- Additional information about upgrading to SAP liveCache 7.9, it has the unswer on your question in II, section 4.

"The upgrade guide does not provide any information for upgrade steps in a
Microsoft Cluster (MSCS). The upgrade routine differs from the description in
the guide. For an SAP liveCache upgrade in an MSCS environment, you must use SAP
Note 1461279. After the upgrade steps from SAP Note 1461279 have been completed,
you can use the upgrade guide as of section 5 "Post-Upgrade" again."

Regards, Natalia Khlopina

0 Kudos

Thanks Natalia.

I think the note # 156982 you referred is not related to the LC. Can you please confirm on this note.

So to summarize, even for the LC Patch update [not the upgrade...LC currently on 7.9.08   Build 010) and updating to 7.9.08  Build 017],  I stilll follow the same note # 1461279 as we use for the upgrade, followed by the post upgrade steps in section 5.

Also any plans if SAP wants to automate the liveCache Patch Update steps in MSCS scenario through a tool in future?

Thanks

Vipin

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vipin,

I was confused by the question:

"But I wanted to know, if still need to follow the same note, even to perform the Kernel update of liveCache 7.9, build 10 to iveCache 7.9, build 10."

A you planning to update just LCAPPS buiuld which were compiled with the same liveCache version?

In general please see the SAP note:

1855747 - Overview: Update of SAP MaxDB/liveCache/CS in MSCS environm.

< if Source Version 7.9 build x to Target version: 7.9 build y => 5. >

Regards, Natalia Khlopina

0 Kudos

Natalia,

Let me try explaining the scenario i am currently at and the question followed by that.

Current scenario of livecache in MSCS

---------------------------------------------

This is the current distribution of liveCache which is current running in an windows server 2008 R2 MSCS environment. [ASCS/DB runs on a separate cluster and liveCache on a separate MSCS cluster altogether]

• Independent Programs directory (-> local hard disk)
  • Independent Data Directory (-> distributed disk)
  • Instance Dependent directory (-> local hard disk)
  • Data and Log Volumes (-> distributed disks)

We followed the note # 1461279 for MSCS scenario, when we upgraded from liveCache version 7.7 to liveCache 7.9. during last maintenance release.

Current liveCache Version : 7.9.08   Build 010-123-247-791

Current LCA Version:

Release : 100

Build : 13

Patch :3

Target liveCache Version planning for : 7.9.08   Build 017-123-249-309

Target LCA Version:

Release : 100

Build : 17

Patch :1

I have attached the details of the currently installed software components.

Question:

I am planning only to update (not the LC Upgrade) the livecache 7.9 build from Build 10 -> Build 17 and also the LCA version from Build 13, patch 3 -> LCA Build 17, Patch 1.

1. Is there a seprate procedure for liveCache update in MSCS scenario to go the above mentioned target version or should I still follow the note # 1461279 for performing the Update as well.

Reason, some of the steps in 1461279 seems applicable only if we need to upgrade from 7.7 to 7.9 in MSCS, but not for the LC patch update (where only the liveCache Build verson and LCA version/patch level is changed]

Thanks

Vipin

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vipin,

As per SAP Note 912246,

Major release upgrade and patch upgrade on MSCS cluster has to follow same approach.

You may use MaxDB toolkit for performing patch upgrade.

Useful SAP notes for this upgrade

Note 1461279 - Microsoft cluster: Upgrade to SAP MaxDB 7.8 and higher

Note 912246 - SAP DB/MaxDB/liveCache upgrade with MSCS cluster

Note 1463752 - SAP MaxDB Toolkit

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

0 Kudos

Deepak,

As mentioned, I have used the note# 1461279 for the release upgrade. So have you followed this note even for the patch  upgrade as well?

On the MaxDB tool kit, its applicable for patch updates for liveCache version 7.8 or below only. [section 3.2 of the document says that]

Thanks

Vipin

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vipin,

The same note applies.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

0 Kudos

Thanks Deepak for your time. Will try the same.