cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you think if SCN hides points and displays only your badges and current level?

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

After recent change or improvement I must say, in SCN gamification and points system I just came up with an idea that what if SCN hides points completely and calculate and maintain them just they way they are being calculated now?

With this you'll be able to see reputation of users just with their badges (Answer Hero, Story Teller, Thought Leader etc) and their levels (Diamond, Gold, Topaz etc). Would you like that reputation system or this one with points showing with every name.? Please share your thoughts and views.

Thank$

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent!

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I got a supporter here

Sir do you think I should post this idea in SCN idea space?

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you should call Hasso Plattner to tell him about it!

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Who is Hasso Plattner I heard this name first time

Former Member
0 Kudos

He is the opening batsman of the Walldorf cricket club in Germany...

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is Germany into Cricket

Pl tell Hasso Plattner about the Crciket World cup next year

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is he as good as our Shahid Afridi in batting?

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since my childhood, I'm curious to know Afridi's real age

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

He is 34 but he plays like 24 and if you heard "Takra" on Aaj tak Indian channel after Pak India match you could know it

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But nobody knows his real age

I guess he's the longest playing cricketer in Pak's team.

His retirement in not lesser mysterious than Sachin's

SuhaSaha
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Julius von dem Bussche wrote:

He is the opening batsman of the Walldorf cricket club in Germany...

Your sense of humour is out-of-the-world How do you conjure up something this hilarious?

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

He started when we was 16 and made world record and now since he has been playing for more than 15 years people still love him. He is blessed with countless fans.

Sachin was a great batsman and he had his own style. Afridi is different from him and both are legends. BTW I dont watch cricket that much but just last few overs if this is against Pak India and after this Asia cup every Pakistani will consider India and Bangladesh Pakistan's arch rivals

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi JP

Thank you for being part of this discussion and sharing your views. As you can see there are users with different opinions and its good that we have multiple thoughts on it.

When I post a question and get responses from users and if I like someone's response I always visit his profile and see his badges/level/points and area of expertise. It gives me an idea about his potential and increases my trust level. There are many users who sometimes give foolish suggestions without knowing anything. Some users respond just for the sake of points and they give irrelevant answers. If we see badges and points it gives us or at least me a trust level on poster. This is the reason that reputation system is mandatory for this type of forums.

It doesn't mean newbies can't post good and valuable posts. There can be a newbie who has tons of knowledge and years of experience but he is new in SCN. Exceptions are always there but if we see as a whole you must be agreed that newbies post basic or sometimes irrelevant posts mostly.

As you said points give us a barometer and sometimes this barometer can be misused specially when you are near to get some next level. You must have seen in car racings that driver boosts up speed to his maximum in last lap of race. When a user sees he needs just 300/400 points to reach next level (Topaz/Emerald) etc he can use tricks to get points. If we have only levels and badges and points are being calculating at background users will be contributing positively without curse of points.

This is what I believe in.  

Thank$

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See, with my experience, I believe there is a fair difference in an adult & a child behaviour. And that is "Tempt" and how you achieve/control that.

One year back I read a book from Harvard Business Review titled "Nine Things Successful People Do Differently." I liked it. Try reading that. Meanwhile, have look on the blog by the author of book on the same, Success Strategies

I would conclude with my believe,

Mostly points/badges are for self. And that will not earn you reputation.

In fact, it's your contribution which will.(which you also agree)

Keep the good work and words going.

Best Wishes

UweFetzer_se38
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To fight the point hunting game IMO an "un-like" or "down-vote" possibility would be a better option.

But I think this is discussed on other places already and not possible in the current Jive version.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This can be misused very easily and one could delete or unassign someone's point easily. Moderators duty will be increased in this case

Thank$

UweFetzer_se38
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think so, because it's not an anonymous vote (like the "like"). It works perfect on other platforms like "Stackoverflow".

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Likes are not anonymous.  For instance, I can see that Suhas Saha liked your comment.

UweFetzer_se38
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's what I mean.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This can be another Idea in Idea place.

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you really free badges/points really represent correct level of user potential?

In my opinion, "no".

Say, I'm SD Functional, I can earn points & badges, by even contributing in About SCN, SCN Support & Career Forums. Its matter of time and your current engagement at your workplace. Where you can explore as many as forums. But, as per many experience goes, it will get focused, some day or other.

If someone is here for "learning" or contributing to the community. How does it matters, if they earn points/badges/criticisms. In real terms, points/badges will not earn your reputation. In fact, its your contribution which will.

On positive side. Points & badge should go hand in hand.

Reason:

Points - It will provide you(self) as a barometer to scale/measure your contribution.

Badges - It will provide you(self) a structured & focus goals, which you can follow. So, contribution will not be direction less.

Thanks, JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well said JP....!!!

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd say no.  There's a lot of things I consider when reading responses, badges are part of it, but so are points. Also the timing of the points can matter a lot.  You can have a lot of badges, but still not be recently active.  Looking at the top posters by points in the last year tells me who's current and who is not.

Matt

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That can be kept same. Leader broad will not change. Points can be replaced by their level like Gold, Platinum etc.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Done Sir

Former Member
0 Kudos

That would be a perfect idea..!!!

If SCN has a check box 'Hide points to be displayed' it would be great. So that the user alone can see his points and he can hide it from getting displayed in the SCN.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If SCN has a check box 'Hide points to be displayed' it would be great. So that the user alone can see his points and he can hide it from getting displayed in the SCN.

If everyone can decide for themselves, I'd have nothing against this idea.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, for data privacy reasons it might not even be legal to show points without the user's consent. So that should also be the default setting, and if you choose to you can turn them on proactively (albeit rather silly thing to do if you ask me...  :-).

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

some contributors may want to show there shiny badges but some one just want to show their points , so its better to provide an option so that he himself can decide...!!

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm used to being silly. ^^

I don't think there is a legal issue to the points being shown or it would be off right now. You can't even decide if you want to show your real name, if you login with your s-user, so I think a pointcounter is probably not the most sensitive information about the user.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lolzz Steffi we are not that much oblidged by SAP

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Basic logic behind this idea is to prevent nuisance on the SCN. So many point hunters out there had misused like button to gather points which resulted into its extinction.

Now if the user is made to see the points again (no matter how others see into it), I don't think this would make any difference at all.

IMHO, I wouldn't favor this idea with this add-in

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I wrote several times before: I like seeing my points, I like seeing them increase.

If you hide them, it will change nothing about the underlining problem and that still is and will be people who just participate to collect stuff, because they think the amount of points and badges matter and not HOW you got them. If you hide the points, those people will still strive to get the whole collection of badges and a new level to show for their profile.

I don't think this would have a big impact on the mentioned problem. Therefor I'd vote against the idea.

Regards,

Steffi.

srinu_s1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the current system would be fine.

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Fantastic idea !! Go ahead. Indeed a great change it would be

ntn

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As of mine.. It should be implemented...

It would be better if you posted this into idea place and give here a link..

So that we can vote for that..

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me do that before we have more prticipants here.