Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMO-The tool is not running

former_member185382
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

While using the DMO(database migration option) feature in SUM SP9, UI frequently displays the message "Tool start required" and "The tool is not running".

In one of the DMO documents found that restarting the SAP hostagent should help, i have restarted the hostagent and then logged in, same message. Please suggest.

Regards,

Ravi A

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

srinivaas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I have started the CRM UI components installation with Stack, stack generated from SMP Maintenance Planner tool.

I have started the host agent (SAPHOSTAGENT15_15-20009417) successfully, but facing a issue while starting the SUM  tool (SUM10SP17_0-20006676).

Please find the attached screen shot and let me know if you need any further.

Thanks,

Srini T.

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Avi,

to start with some basic information that you are already aware of:

when using the DMO feature of SUM, the SAPup process is started twice - one "dispatcher" process to handle HTTP requests, and one "worker" process. The message "The tool is not running" is created by the dispatcher for the case that the worker is not running.

Typically it should be fine to simply choose the NEXT button, so that the dispatcher will start the worker. Assuming that you did this, and it did not solve the situation, the only workaround is to stop the dispatcher process as well, and restart the SAP Host Agent.

In your case, please try to stop the remaining SAPup process (dispatcher) first, and then stop and restart SAP Host. Agent.

Regards, Boris

former_member185382
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Boris,

Thank you for your reply, but it didn't work for me.

Let me summarize what i have done, I have closed the URL, stopped the SAPup process running, then restarted the hostagent(saphostexec -restart), then launched the URL, but no luck it still says the tool is not started. Even i have tried clicking on next, but did not work.

Ravi A

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

it looks as if SAPup has a problem. Please analyse the log files (log/SAPup.log or srv/SAPup.out) to check and solve the issue.

Regards, Boris

former_member185382
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Boris,

After SUM closed, i have tried SUMSTART config hostagent, which did not start my SAPup, then i have restarted the hostagent and also the complete server but no luck.

I have manullay run the SUMSTART.bat file (by double clicking on it) and it started my 2 SAPup processes, but closing this bat file window will close my SUM .

When i looked at the srv/SAPup.out file, i see the following.

EXECUTING D:\usr\sap\DMO\SUM\abap\bin\SAPup.EXE  "rootdir=D:\usr\sap\DMO\SUM\abap" "guiconnect=localhost:54551"
Connecting to host 'localhost' port 54551...Connected
ERROR in GUI communication: Error in network interface: NIECONN_BROKEN

FATAL ERROR: Error in network interface: NIECONN_BROKEN
Error processing dialog 'PhaseDecision'

Please Suggest.

Regards,

Ravi A

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

not sure, but it looks as if there may be some misunderstandings:

1. Statement "SUMSTART confighostagent" (only one space after SUMSTART, not in confighostagent) is the statement to register the SUM for the SAP Host Agent, not for starting the SUM or SAPup.
  2. To start the DMO procedure, you do not start SAPup from the host: neither with SUMSTART from terminal window nor with SUMSTART.bat file.
    You start the DMO procedure with a request from your browser, like described in the DMO guide (http://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000950402013E/)

Regards, Boris