cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search Help input Validation in BRFplus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have implemented a search help for few of my structure fields and then binding this structure into my BRFplus Application and I am able to get the F4 help for these fields in BRFplus.

But when I input the values in any of these fields manually (without pressing F4) it is accepting even those values, which are not there in search help.

For example I have a NUMBER field and the search help attached to this field can have values from 1 to 3000. So if I enter any other value ( say 3600 ) in this field, It should give an error.

Please help me out how can we achieve.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Pradeep

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anbusivam_s
Participant
0 Kudos

@Pradeep: For your question I would reply the same answer that Tobbias got. This is not supported. From brf+ we check only the domain values and not the search help values. You can use application exit class(maintained at application level) to check whether its a valid value.

@Tobbias: I think your problem is little different here. If you use a key code that can be duplicate you can see different texts in the webdynpro search help ui, but when you select one of them brf+ displays the first text it encounters and not the text that you chose. The reason is brf+ only stores the key code value and not the text. So it doesn't remember which text you selected. Only option as of now is to keep the keycode values unique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anbusivam

Now I am implementing the Application Exit to validate the search help fields.

Regards,

Pradeep.

carsten_ziegler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You may also find this document helpful.

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing this document. I think the solution with user exit is a great and consistent solution. I guess all other solutions would have been limitations.

Best Regards,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Carsten for sharing the document its really helpful.

BR

Pradeep

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Can you explain where you are using the dropdown? Do you mean in a cell of a decision table? Or are you using it somewhere else?

Rgds,

Jocelyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jocelyn,

I am using the fields in the cell of decision table.

Regards,

Pradeep

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have the same problem and consider it as a severe restriction. I opened an OSS message and was told that this is not supported.

The correct behaviour is described in the book of Carsten Ziegler: BRFplus data elements with DDIC binding support only value tables (and constant values) on the domain level

As soon as I can I will describe the problems of this behaviour.

Best Regards,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tobias for a quick reply

So does it mean that at this point of time, except the Application Exit,  we don't have any other way to achieve this ?

Regards,

Pradeep

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At first I would like to go into detail about my problem which I consider as an inconsistent behaviour:

In SAP Business Suite and especially reuse components for industry solutions (think of FI-CA that is used by FS-CD but also IS-U) there is the concept of hierarchical customizing which is maintained using viewclusters. So there are many different values for having a different entries in the text table.

And now it is getting weird: the F4 value help of WDA (OVS?) does recognize this behavior and offers distinct values with different texts. But when you choose a value an arbitrary text is chosen and not the one you selected. So this is an obvious inconsistency: the value help of BRFplus workbench is smarter than the text determination in classes CL_FDT_ELEMENT, CL_FDT_ELEMDESCR and CL_FDT_DDIC_SERVICES (if I remember right).

I consider this as a restriction since I found no way to deal with this behavior: even if I create new data elements with special F4 help or special database view as value table I won’t get the correct texts.

So my claim is: Even the generic WDA-value help from BRFplus workbench is quite good the rest of the UI doesn't support the search help features and you won't get the right texts from text tables.

Best Regards,

Tobias  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

Appreciate your help.

Can you please give me the OSS Message Number that you have raised ?

Regards,

Pradeep