cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSS Dependency / Impact Analysis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

While implementing OSS Notes, i frequently run into pre-requisite notes, which in turn have other dependent notes.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know upfront the list of dependent notes and objects involved by applying any single note.

SNOTE prompts you along the path of dependent notes only when you attempt applying the note. There is no simulation mode.

Hence, one cannot do any kind of meaningful impact analysis.

For example, i may want to implement a OSS note to fix a single Class method or Function module. However, the interdependcies end up changing 20-30 other objects. This then creates all kinds of side effects, which need to be resolved by applying more notes.

This expands the scope of the problem. necessiating regression tests for many teams.

Manually anticipating dependencies or doing impact analysis is painful. Are there any tools to make this easier ?.

Regards,

Jon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

krscheffler
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

Short answer, not yet.

My colleague has been part of making the Automated Notes Search Tool a reality and is currently discussing this as an additional feature to be added.

We will keep you in the loop regarding any enhancements.

Thanks,

Kristen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. Good to know. ANST is a very helpful tool already. This requirement will be like icing on the cake.

former_member17522
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon, Kristen,

Without a doubt, It would be great to add to the list fo notes another list of notes that correct some side effects. If you are proposing a list of nptes to solve a problem, it doesn't make sense to propose a note as solution that has known side effects without warning.

e.g. The following list corresponds to a note search done by ANST:

Note       Title   Side Effect Prerrequisites

XXXXXXX Title 1   No           Yes(4)

YYYYY  Title 2   Yes(3)      Yes(1)

Double clicking would take you to the list of notes that correct the side effects. Same with prerrequisites.

Although I'm currently disengaged from the ANST team, I have discussed the idea witrh the software logistics team that currently maintain ANST and I hope we can see this feature in the future ANST.

Another proposal to add to the SAP correction notes (Implementation effort: Low, Medium, High)

Thanks a lot for your ideas,Jon!

Thanks a lot for notifying, Kristen!

Carlos.

Answers (0)