cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge Prompts - SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform 4.1 Support Pack 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our OLAP View has 3 sheets, each out of different query from a common cube connnection.

All the 3 queries has exactly same input variables.

From Promt merge functionality, could we expect user to enter the variable just once for all the 3 sheets?

Now, clicking on each sheets - prompts user each time.

Observation:

Clicking on merge prompt in the prompt screen changes the name of the connection to "SAP Netweaver Business Warehouse"

Any help is highly appreciated

Thanks

VeeKay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you are already there. Merging prompts is one of the new features of BO 4.1. If you merge the prompts, you just have to enter them once. Instead of having the query titles as headers for the different prompts, it will read as you observed "SAP Netweaver Business Warehouse".

Read about it here:

Former Member
0 Kudos

But each sheet popped up for variables irrespective of merging prompt.

Technical names of these BW query variables are exact same.

The only difference after merging prompts was the name of the first sheet prompt change to "SAP Netweaver Business Warehouse"

I'm still not certain what I'm missing,

Thanks for your reply

I_MCA
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Vee Kay

You are not missing anything.

When you open AOLAP it will automatically connect to the required data sources for the current sheet only, not any of the other sheets.

When prompt merging is enabled and you open the 2nd sheet, then the connections to the required data sources on that sheet are made. The prompt dialog will still appear but for any merged variables you should see that they are pre-populated with whatever value you previously entered.

Similarly when you open the 3rd sheet, the connections to the required data sources on that sheet are made. The prompt dialog will again appear and once again for any merged variables you should see that they are pre-populated with whatever value you previously entered.

At any point in time if you change the value of merged variable in the prompt dialog it will immediately impact all opened connections which use that variable.

(Aside, displaying the prompt dialog was a clear request from the majority of customers so that they could at least visually confirm that the correct values were being used for their prompts.)

Kind Regards

Ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ian.

ian_carbonel2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ian

We have noticed that when we Merge Prompts the behaviour is exactly as you explain, however, when I use the Goto menu to execute a RRI as configured in RSBBS in BW, the behaviour is not as expected:

Use the context menu in AOLAP to Goto the target report.  The prompt screen pops up with the values from the Merge Prompt and not the values from the RRI context.

For example multiple single values are entered for Country when the AOLAP is first executed.  These values are merged and for all dataproviders using the Merge Prompt.  These values are displayed for all relevant data provider tabs in the AOLAP.

When I select a single Country eg: Australia and "Goto" my RRI Receiver, the Prompt screen for the Receiver report displays with all the countries that were originally entered (and merged) and NOT just Australia.  This is not the expected behaviour.

When I remove the Merge Prompts, the RRI works exactly as expected and the Country variable inherits the context from the Sender report.  In my example above the Country "Australia" is passed from the Sender to the Receiver report.

Should the Merge Prompts be compromising the behaviour of the Report to Report Interface as we all know it?

I_MCA
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ian

Are you able to attach a screenshot from RSBBS of your RRI definition and particularly how parameters (context) is passed.

Kind Regards

ian_carbonel2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ian

Please see attached screen shots of the scenarios explained in my previous post.

Thanks

Ian

ian_carbonel2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

Just wondering if you have managed to take at the screen shots of the AOLAP prompts and the RRI issue?

If required I can raise an OSS note.

Many Thanks

Ian

Answers (0)