cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PB12.5 - Oracle 11g conenction issue - Failed to get local NLS_LANG charset ID

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

We have recently migrated our OS to windows 7 and orcle client to 11g since then I am getting error "Failed to get local NLS_LANG charset ID" while connecting to Oracle using the IDE. I tried to connect using O10 Oracle 10g and ORA Oracle interface as I dont see anything for 11g; result was same in both cases. Can someone please help to resolve this issue?

Following are the system details

OS - Windows 7 62 Bit

PB - 12.5 Build 2511

Oracle Client - 11g 32 bit

Thanks,

Robin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin Kurian

I faced the same issue, Copied all (Complete) the files from the PowerBuilder shared folder and placed along with the EXE and PBD, It worked for me.

If you are migrating from previous version dont keep any any Previous version dlls in that folder.

Try this, this may help you.

Thanks & regards

Vinu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Folks .. I've reinstalled the oracle client and still its not working ..

I am wathcing the other thread as well.. Please let me know if you found something.. Thanks again..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should re-install the Oracle 11g 32 bits client.

It looks like some DLLs were missing.

Regards.

Abdallah.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jacob,

Here is the entry fronm trace log:

/*---------------------------------------------------*/
/*                 3/18/2014  14:17                  */
/*---------------------------------------------------*/
(2a922fc): DIALOG CONNECT TO TRACE ORA ORACLE:
(2a922fc): LOGID=dev_testid
(2a922fc): SERVER=TESTSRV
(2a922fc): DBPARM=PBCatalogOwner='dev_testid',DisableBind=1,TrimSpaces=1(DBI_DIALOG_CONNECT) (21.246 MS / 21.246 MS)
(2a922fc): *** ERROR 999 ***(rc -1) : Failed to get local NLS_LANG charset ID.
(2a922fc): SHUTDOWN DATABASE INTERFACE:(DBI_SHUTDOWN_INTERFACE) (0.001 MS / 21.247 MS)

NLS_LANG variable set under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ORACLE\KEY_OraClient11g_home1

Value in Registry: AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252

Value in SQL PLUS:

SQL> SELECT USERENV ('language') FROM DUAL;

USERENV('LANGUAGE')
----------------------------------------------------
AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

Thanks,

Robin

CobyKako
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I don't see anything abnormal here

My advise would be to use Microsoft Process Monitor tool to verify if there is a missing Oracle client DLL which could not be loaded by the PB IDE

HTH,

Jacob

CobyKako
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

In addition to what Abdallah said, read this other link from another related forum:

HTH,

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jacob.. I checked the path variable both oracle home directory (where oci.dll sits) and bin directory are already in there though..

Thanks & Regards,

Robin

CobyKako
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Robin,

Can you share your PB connection settings from the IDE?

Can you generate the trace whilst connecting (turn on the "Generate Trace" checkbox in the Connection tab) and attach the log file?

Is the NLS_LANG env variable set underneath the registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ORACLE? If yes, is this variable installed in the Oracle RDBMS (ake run this command SELECT USERENV ('language') FROM DUAL;)

P.S.: ORA native database interface should be used for Oracle 11g

SyBooks Online

Jacob

CobyKako
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Robin,

This error is often related to a PATH issue. Check that the Oracle client folder (where the oci.dll is located) belong to the PATH env variable.

HTH,

Jacob