Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standalone HANA Vs BW on HANA

KulDeepJain
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi HANA Experts,

I am newbie working on my first HANA POC. 

We are having following system in client landscape:

1. SAP ERP
  2. SAS
  3. SQL Server
  4. BODS as ETL
  5. XYZ applications
  6. No SLT licencing

We want analytics to do on HANA, data will be coming from all this servers

What will be best way to get data in SAP HANA system:

1. BW on HANA

2. Standalone HANA

What are the pros and cons for implementing of above architecture?

want a good disucussion here to understand what will be good in what aspects...

Message was edited by: Tom Flanagan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Firstly congrats on getting your First HANA Project.

And yes you given details on landscape, but using BW or not using BW depends on the functional requirements.

So you may want to be specific in your question.

Have a look on this blog from John on when we need BW or when Standalone HANA is enough

Blog: Does SAP HANA Replace BW? (Hint: No.) - P... | SAP HANA

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

KulDeepJain
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your reply,

Its true we need to understand functional requirement to make decision.

I am keeping my point of view below,,,,

please look into this and provide your imputes.

Sr. No.SAP BW on HANA architecture
Stand alone HANA architecture
1Business content for faster and
Consistent development

RDS solution for faster development
2Self ETL with SAP and Non SAP sources
(No separate licensing )

No itself ETL
3Supports BODS for scheduled
Batch data load

Support BODS with
Near real time data load
4Support Mixed scenario means
BW modeling can also be
Accessed in HANA studio

It also support Mixed scenario
5Time dependent master data can
Handle easily

Hard to handle Time dependent
Master data scenario
6Dynamic hierarchy to handle easily
Hard to handle dynamic hierarchy
7Inventory scenario can handle easily
Can't Handle as of now
8Virtual Info-cube means without
Storing data reporting is possible

Not possible as of my knowledge
9Easy to built complex modeling
SQL script knowledge required to achieve
10Not Possible as of my knowledge
Real time reporting Via SLT
11Standard BW authorizations
HANA based authorizations

I want to have healthy discussion here, please provide your views on above points and also add additional points to give more pros and cons here,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would not consider points 2, 3, 5 & 9 as much differentiation.

From tools perspective, if you buy enterprise HANA license you will get both SLT and BODS included in the bundle. Hence, the comparison becomes whether you want to use BW as your data warehouse application or you want to develop a custom data warehouse on HANA using BODS, SLT and HANA modeler. Here is my opinion based on my personal preferences and biases.

Advantages of BW as data warehouse:

1. Standard BW extractors are available for easier access to data that does not need in-depth understanding of SAP ERP entity relationships.

2. Modelling tools are easier to use

3. Data warehouse management is much easier (central monitoring and management of ETL process)

4. Easy to implement hierarchies.

5. Planning functionality (integrated planning) is available.

6. Full functionality of SAP Netweaver platform is available for custom development.

Disadvantages of BW:

1. BW does not conform to a puristic vision of a data warehouse in some practioners' mind. Please note that this will become a religious topic once you enter into this argument.

2. BW extractors can sometimes be a pain when you need to bring in additional fields and recapture historical data for the additional fields.

3. Reuse of KPIs can be problematic if they are defined using BEx query designer at a cube or multiprovider  level.

4. Needs BODS to get data from Non SAP sources (unless you want to use flat file upload)

Advantages of HANA (Enterprise license)

1. Complete freedom to develop data warehouse as per your wish (religion).

2. Powerful modelling tools

3. BW extractors in SAP ERP can be used  (DXC method) to get SAP ERP data.

4. Any KPI defined at analytic view or calculation view is visible in higher level calculation views. Hence, high degree of KPI reuse. This avoids duplication of KPIs .

5. Can easily integrate with any applications developed in HANA XS, Java, .Net or ABAP technologies using ODBC, JDBC, ADBC connectors.

Disadvantages of HANA

1. Expensive to license.

2. Monitoring and management of data warehouse will be distributed between HANA, BODS and other tools.

3. No guided process for developing models. Requires lot of self discipline to develop and adhere to development standards and best practices.

4. Hierarchy functionality requires IT support and cannot be maintained by end users like in BW.

5. BW has very easy and versatile functionality for Currency conversion and Units of measure conversion (especially using material alternate unit of measures of SAP ERP). Implementation in HANA is not that flexible.

Kumar

KulDeepJain
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your crisp feedback on my points, but here I want to add some which give support my points

1. In Standalone HANA architecture we can use DXC method its good one, but let for example if I am using DS as 2LIS_11_HDR/0FI_GL_14. How to create data-targets for this? Because in BW targets DSO/Infocube have there own properties like overwrite/additive. We will again having some standard transformation routines to achieve a particular KPI/characteristics value. Might be in ERP/ECC system we need not to explore about table joins but again we need to understand our data-source functionality. So using just DXC will not solve issue. May be developer will confuse more.
  2. In HANA standalone for data acquisition we need separate servers to handle load (SLT/BODS) with separate licensing. BW is mature enough for data acquisition with SAP/non SAP systems.
  3. As of now RDS is not available for all modules and also might be not fully mature. (Not fully sure)
  4. In BW extractors for any enhancement mostly we need again do full load, But I hope same thing will be there in standalone HANA also. in contrary please give explanation.
  5. BODS is flexible as ETL with non SAP flavor, but in SAP BW also we are having DB/UD connect, web-services, ODP, smart data access etc. etc.
  6. Standalone HANA give better flexibility to built any application and model, but same can be consume in BW via new info-providers like composite/transient providers... any how vice-versa is also possible.

As per you, It requires full on self discipline while data molding to achieve the best HANA performance, Full agree with you.

Will happy if I will get more distinction between Standalone HANA or BW HANA

KD Jain

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi KD,

You raised an interesting topic. Here is my 2 cents.

Concerning the point 4, this is not exactly true. As the replication replicates the whole content of a table (all records with all fields), the need to add a new field is nearly null. This is not the case in the BW case.

And adding a new field to a Hana view (virtual) doesn't need any load at all.

Regards,

Frederic.

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And concerning the point 8 (virtual cube), the Smart Data Access functionnality (SDA) actually allows building in a Hana system a  virtual access to tables or views from other systems (Hana or not).

Regards,

Frederic

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes fedric, It allows you to access the tables from other source systems directly into HANA

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

Answers (0)