cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After compressed the database table affect the system performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a very big database table in my system called MSEG. It is about 910G and the wasted tablespace is about 330G. I want to compress the table, but the table is written and deleted frequently. will it affect the system performance if I compress the table. Or I can only select reorganize the dababase table avoid it affect the system performance? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Huiyong,

Table compression is a big task as compared to table reorganization.

My suggestion is to perform online table reorganization ( incase downtime is not permitted).

As the table size is 900GB , it would be good to perform reorg offline as it will take less time as compared to online reorganization.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Many thanks for your answer. Take table MSEG for example, it is changed very frequently. Will it lower the system response time when access the table after I compress the table? Thanks.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Huiyong,

If you talk about table compression, it cannot be done online. we need to do this with a planned downtime. Table compression has some percentage of overhead on CPU. Refer SAP note for

1289494FAQ: Oracle compression
1436352Oracle Database 11g Advanced Compression for SAP Systems

If you talk about online table reorg, yes definitely there would be impact on user performance.

As the table size is very big it may take some days or hours to perform online Reorg.

Other faster method is to perform table export import which is faster than online reorg. But it will again require downtime .

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (0)