cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogeneous landscape based on iSeries database server

0 Kudos

Hi Experts!.

We have SAP R3 installed on a iSeries server, database and aplication server on same machine. From the begining of the year the performance of our platform is going down. We have increased buffers, do housekeeping works, etc, but the performance is not increased to much.

I want to know if we can install a new aplication server on a wintel virtual machine and connect it to our existing landscape.

Thanks in advance for your help and coments.

Best Regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

it is possible to install app servers on Windows please can refer note 680617 - INST: Appl. Server in Heterogeneous SAP System Environment

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi again.

I'm trying to install an aditional dialog instance as mentioned in your answers using SPM 1.0, SAP Netwearver 7.0 incluidng Ehp1 SR1 -> Software life-cycle options -> Application Server -> IBM DB2 for i5/OS -> Dialog Instance menu. The first screen ask for the folder where the default profile is. I inform the path of the iSeries profile (where I have conectivity) \\<iSeries_Server>\sapmnt\<SID>\SYS\profile. The type of installation I use is "Local Installation" and there are no more significant parameters in the installation. The installation starts but in the second step "Install common system files" the installations crash with the message attached: 

An error occurred while processing option SAP NetWeaver 7.0 including
      Enhancement Package 1 Support Release 1 > Software Life-Cycle Options >
      Application Server > IBM DB2 for i5/OS > Dialog Instance( Last error
      reported by the step: Creating node $(DIR_INSTALL) with type DIRECTORY
      failed. Original exception text was:
      syslib.filesystem.nodeCreationFailed: Unable to create node
      \\<SID>\sapmnt\ with type DIRECTORY: can't create parent node...)

I have check permisions of the installation user in the windows server and in the iSeries server, passwords, etc, if I open a windows explorer I can open the location \\<iSeries>\sapmnt\...".

Can you know where can be the problem?.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil.

I have check note 1432833 but my systems have the parameters described on it so it doesn't apply to them.

Best regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Francisco,

the isntaller is probably trying to create the directory as a SIDadm user, and it can't connect.

You should try to either log into the Windows server as SIDadm and try to access the IBM i server.

Regards,

Luis

0 Kudos

Hi Luis.

The sidadm is created in the windows local system, windows domain controller and in the iSeries server with the same password. It seems that it's trying to create the directory and it can't, but I think the reason is because it allready exists (is the installation directory of the central system). Can be this the reason?. If it is, how can I make the installation if this directory must exist in the iSeries server?.

Best regards.

volker_gldenpfennig
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Francisco,

you are doing a OS/DB Migration ...

You do Need a certified Person for that ... this one should know the answers on your questions, I would guess ...

regards,

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut

0 Kudos

Hi Volker.

This is not our objective. We are trying to add an extra application server to our landscape in order to improve performance. The problem is that our server is exahusted. Sometimes all of the work process are busy and with the resources we have we decided to add another application server in order to increase the number of work process available.

Regards

volker_gldenpfennig
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

ok, sorry, I got you 🙂

I do think, that you either do have an SWPM error, or you did enter the SID for the iSeries Name in the Dialog. I never had the issue for an appl Server instance, that it Looks for \\sid\sapmnt ...

volker

0 Kudos

Hi Volker.

Yes, I enter the iSeries SID name in the installation because I understood that is needed to read the profile file of the central system. May I enter a new one different for central?

Regards.

volker_gldenpfennig
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not your consultant, but the data needs to be entered properly and looks wrong right now ...

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut

0 Kudos

Thanks Sunil, thanks Ralf.

I'm going to read the documents you sugests in your answers.

Many thanks for your help.

ralf_buescher
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Francisco,

the installation of a Windows additional application server instance/dialog instance is supported for IBM i. When you install an SAP instance on a virtual host you should take care that you are using the sapinst parameter SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME:

sapinst.exe SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=<Virtual_Host_Name>

For more details see the installation documentation:

service.sap.com/sltoolset > SL Toolset > Software Logistics Toolset 1.0 > Documentation > System Provisioning > Installation: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 / 7.0 EHPs (or Installation: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and Higher) > IBM DB2 for i > Windows

(for example: Installation Guide SAP Systems Based on the Application Server ABAP of SAP NetWeaver on Windows: IBM DB2 for i)

Kind regards, Ralf Büscher