cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Promotion Management Gives You Problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We recently upgraded to BI 4.1 SP1 in our system and started to use "Promotion Management" to migrate reports from one environment to another. We often get "Partial Success" with a various reasons. Just doesn't seem to be very solid. When migrating from "Upgrade Management Tool" then no issues. What are your experience with Promotion Management? Any tips, tricks?

Example of some messages we get:

• Failed to decrypt the object
  • Cannot open report document. --- Unable to load report
  • Cannot open report document. --- Cannot logon with the custom database information
  • Cannot open report document. --- Custom table prefix specified in the InfoStore does not exist
  • Cannot open report document. --- There is an error with the custom database information specified in the InfoStore.
  • Failure : Object promoted. Update failed. Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to invoke the method java.lang.Object.toString() of an object loaded from
  • local variable 'oldServerValue'
  • Update failed. Error: com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.report.lib.ReportSDKServerException: File Repository Server error : Could not save the file
  • Failure : Trying to create an object with duplicate name (Foundation Engineering Team and Developer)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182921
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All ,

I had similar issues .I just repaired my Installation and it worked .

So please go ahead with Repair option .

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

Since we have the same issue in our Production landscape as well, we would like to have that as a last resort..

thanks

0 Kudos

To add to Rickey's list of Promotion Management issues, here's another very vague promotion Failure message. I've seen this error even prior to BI 4.0 SP9 (we're on SP9) but don't have any solution for it.

Resolution Status=Not Applicable, Dependency Status=Not Applicable, Commit

Status=Commit attempted and failed., Promotion Status=Failure : Application not available

Any pointer will be greatly appreciate it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Having the similar issue with BO 4.1 SP3 during a webi report promotion .. any solutions ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check this KB's for your issue. Upgrade Management tool is used only to upgrade from 3.1 to 4.0. Not for promotion with in BO 4.0 enviroments. Only Promotion managment is used in this case.                   

1837970  - Unable to promote the business views to the target system using Promotion Management in B...

1754247  - BI 4.0: When promoting content via Promotion Management some objects are not imported

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jawahar for your comments. We do use Upgrade Management from time to time just because it is less problem with it. The notes you were sending do not really apply to us since 1) we are on 4.1 Sp1, 2) the error with "Failed to decrypt the object" also happens on non Business View objects.

former_member184468
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Failed to decrypt object will be covered by this sap note:

https://support.wdf.sap.corp/sap/support/notes/1754247

Without getting into the issues one by one, I would HIGHLY recommend looking at 4.1 SP3 which has a lot of LCM stability and performance improvements.

Also there is a large collection of KB articles that you can cross reference here:

BI4 Upgrade and Promotion Management KBAs - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki