cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude a version from the calculation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In our model we have a version used uniquely to upload data. When the system starts to calculate, it includes this version.  We have tried to lock the version,but it still included in the calculation.

We would like to know if is possible to exclude this version from the calculation in order to optimize the calculation.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all, thanks for your responses.

We would like to develop option 1 from Michaels' solutions, because we have too much LineItems (about 2000) for the option two. So we think, option 1 will be easier.

The version we are going to exclude is "Initial Charge". Are you suggesting we should make next rule?

Function CellValue

RestrictDimension("Versions","Initial Charge")

CellValue=0

End Function

In case of  excluding a single period from that version, next rule would be correct?

Function CellValue

RestrictDimension("Versions","Initial Charge")

RestrictDimension("Periods","January")

CellValue=0

End Function

Thanks again

Best regards!

0 Kudos

In order to exclude calculation on the "Initial Charge" version, try adding the following rule, no restricts needed:

Function CellValue

CellValue = 0

End Function

This rule is being applied only on the 'Initial Change' version, because that's the only version with the rule.

I don't think your idea about restricting the calculation by period within the version rule is going to work, but I haven't tried it.  I think that as soon as you apply a rule to a member of the Version dimension, the rule effectively short-circuits the standard model calculation process.  I'm not certain though.  Your idea of adding a RestrictDimension("Periods","January") is worth a shot.  If you try it, please share the outcome.

-Mike

0 Kudos

Two approaches, both involving rules.  Either will work:

1.) Put a rule on the version.  Any valid rule will work.  It will cause the version to be excluded from the calculation.  This also works for excluding periods.  This is quick to do, but it requires removal of the rule to turn the version back on at a later date.

2.) This is very much along the lines of Steve's idea:  Put a rule on your Line Items to set the LineItemValue to zero if the version = [version you want to ignore].  Also works for including/excluding periods.  The advantage of this approach is that you can build in some sophistication, so as to do things like including/excluding versions (or periods) from a calculation based on whether or not a Version is attributed with a custom attribute.  We use this approach a lot because it enables us to do test calculations on limited slices of larger models.

If you have existing Line Item rules, you'd need to build the Version include/exclude rule logic into your individual line item rules as well, because these rules will supersede any default LineItem rule.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think locking a Version/Period combination only prevents PCM from calculating that combination if the combination is already calculated.  If the combination ISN'T already calculated, PCM will calculate it anyway, whether it's locked or not.  Once it's calculated and locked, PCM won't calculate it again unless you do something that removes the results.

If the model uses rules, you can certainly get some performance improvements by applying RestrictCombination functions to the rules.

I'm taking a guess here, but you might get some success if you use a Version rule to set Line Item Values to zero for your data-upload Version.  I'm wondering whether PCM would be smart enough to realise that all the Line Item Values were zero, and therefore not try to push anything through activities and cost objects.  But I've never tried it and you'd have to test it out yourself.  There's always the possibility that it could make things worse

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think you can't lock a version, you can only lock a version/period combination so it doesn't calculate.
Did you lock all version/period combinations?