cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCM Staging Area, New Users

Former Member
0 Kudos

Question for the good IDM people out there. I have an environment where HCM data is being handled by a VDS server to get into IDM. There's two IDS's in this environment, the main one and an HCM staging store. In the staging IDS, there's an entry type called MX_HCM_EMPLOYEE. Once a record of that entry type is entered into the system, there are add & modify tasks assigned to it that kick off the series of events that take that user out of the staging area and place them into the main IDS.

I cannot figure out how these entries are created in the first place. I don't see any scheduled jobs or anything that creates MX_HCM_EMPLOYEE entries. The only thing I can think of is that they are created directly on the backend by some outside force and, once it's there, IDM sees it and starts the process.

Has anyone else ever been in or seen a setup like this? Thanks in advance for any time and knowledge provided.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Brandon Bollin wrote:

I cannot figure out how these entries are created in the first place. I don't see any scheduled jobs or anything that creates MX_HCM_EMPLOYEE entries. The only thing I can think of is that they are created directly on the backend by some outside force and, once it's there, IDM sees it and starts the process.

If I understood your description correctly it sounds like a standard HCM-integration to me. VDS will receive the LDAP push from HCM and write the MX_HCM_EMPLOYEEs to the Staging Id Store.

regards, Tero

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, so it's a standard deployment. I've honestly never worked in an IDM environment with HCM. I'm still fairly new to the SAP world, all things considered.

How does VDS write to the IdS? Where can I see the configuration for this setup in VDS? I'm specifically looking for the timing as the BASIS team is telling me the LDAP extractor happens at 10am and 4pm everyday but on IDM's side, we're seeing new employees get into IDM at noon and 6pm. There's always that 2 hour delay so I'm just trying to understand the nuts and bolts of this arrangement.

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Browse the document titled "System Landscape Configuration Guide" first, it shows you how to connect the HCM to VDS/IdM. Once you know what to look for then it's pretty easy to figure out.

Open the VDS config with the VDS UI and you'll see the database connection from VDS to Id Store. The database URL is similar URL to the database as it is for the Java-runtime in MMC and the "scope" is the ID of the staging Id Store.

The two hour delay sounds strange. Does the task that moves the entries from staging to productive Id Store have a "delay before start" configured?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh wow, I must be blind. Yes, there is a delay before start configured for 2 hours. I've never used that section on a task before so I never thought to check it. Thanks for clearing that up so simply.

I'll check out that DOC you're recommending. Look like I have some reading in my future. 

former_member297605
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tero

I'm pretty new to IdM and had a question on the same topic. To see whats been brought into the HCM staging area from HCM do we need to have VDS access or can it be displayed through the staging area.

The client does not intend to give me VDS access for some reason.

Thanks

Ran

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You don't need access to VDS as the software itself to see what's in the Staging Id Store, to browse the data either:

a) connect to the VDS (same port/host/credentials the HCM is using with the LDAP push) with LDAP browser (like Softerra for free) and you'll see the contents.

b) the Staging Id Store is in the same DB as the Productive Id Store, so if you have DB access just query for the data via SQL.

regards, Tero

former_member297605
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Tero. Looks like I need to get DB access as they haven't given me that as well and I can't install the ldap browser on the box i have access to

former_member297605
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tero ... Further to my above question, I now have access to the SQL DB. Which table should I be querying to see whats been brought into the HCM staging area from HCM?

Please could you provide the query details and the table name.

Thanks a lot

Ranjit

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's the same basic attributes view, idmv_value_basic, for all Identity Stores you just need to filter with the IS_ID (Identity Store Id) in SQL.

regards, Tero

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brandon,

You can check, if the both systems(HCM and IdM) are on the same time zone. Sync manually user from SAP and check if he will come immediately or with delay, this is the easiest way.

Kind Regards,

Simona Lincheva